Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs > C3V Public Playtesting
C3V Public Playtesting Forum for discussion of C3V public playtests. Only C3V members can create new threads, but all others can post to those threads.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 24th, 2019, 02:35 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth
Re: 2019 C3V Playtest Tournament (Round 3 until 9/29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infectedsloth View Post
PTI

There are three reasons why I believe this tournament’s structure is inherently flawed and leads to weak or unreliable data.

1: Take Two seems like a flawed format for testing figures. With take two many times one batch of armies will be stronger then the other. This leads to one persons armies being played at a higher rate then other possible army combinations. The armies were also designed to be balanced against each other. The results is a format that encourages the same balanced matchup over and over again. That meta simply doesn’t produce a lot of good date. Not to mention you’re not gonna see matchup archetypes that are all but required for testing a unit properly. There’s too much outside influence before the game even starts creating a balanced matchup. This comes at the cost of the figures being playtested. A focus on creating balanced matchups is not the philosophy that we should be encouraging. We want to see how units do in verity of settings.

2: Both armies contain units that are being play tested. This a cardinal sin of play testing. It’s really science 101. We want to control variables, not introduce more. If a match is a blow out is it becomes one unit was too strong, the other unit too weak, or a combination of both? There’s no way to tell. If you play against established armies you don’t have this problem. We’re trying to answer question here, not cause more.

3: Take a moment to look at the armies in this tournament. It doesn’t look a thing like any tournament that’s been played in scapes 15 year history. Y’all created an artificial meta that is not representative of reality. I’m at a loss who thought it was a good idea to test units it this bizarro meta.

This tournament tells you so little. It’s a real shame that we’re getting so little date out of so many games. It’s also troubling that skewed date is being used to informs design decisions.
I do agree that Bring 2 is not an optimal choice for a playtesting tournament format. I think it's used because it's basically the tournament standard for online.

And the artificial meta is kind of because there really isn't a C3V meta lol. Like who could honestly say the second and third order effects of the post-Nhah Scirh Cultist meta with the first real hard counter to Q9? Like are 4th Mass better now that Q9/Raelin/Rats is riskier to take? What about Haduc making Elves at least an entire letter grade better, do you need to pack more hero killing now? I don't think anyone knows, there aren't nearly enough competitive Bring 1 tournament C3V games played. So C3V just does it's best and errs on the side of caution most of the time.

I disagree about playtesting unit vs. playtesting unit. I understand your logic of their strengths and weaknesses cancelling each other out but honestly most people here have enough of a basic feel for Heroscape figures that they can tell if something is off by that much. It's a lot about getting more eyes on the units, and more people taking them out for a spin instead of just talking about them in threads. There probably could be a lot more done, for sure. But we are doing our best with the limited time and enthusiasm resources that we have.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs > C3V Public Playtesting