Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old February 11th, 2019, 01:05 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
How to share your maps with the world. (2019)

With thanks to @LongHeroscaper 's How to share your maps with the world., I thought I'd make an updated version that walks you through the whole process, including the uploading part.

1. Create your map.

You'll want to use VirtualScape to make it easy to share your build instructions as well as pictures of your map.

This isn't a VirtualScape tutorial, but I'll hit a few points:
  • You can remove the table by going to Configuration > Preferences..., and unchecking the Display table" box.
  • You can add some map info by going to Configuration > Map parameters... I like to put the set and glyph requirements in the "Scenario" box.
  • If you can fit every level onto one page, do that.
  • Make sure you don't have any tiles selected when you save your map as a PDF.

2. Take pictures of your map.

To take a picture with VirtualScape, open a 3D view of your map (those stacked gold bars).

There's several controls to move the view around:
  • The little recycling icon rotates the map.
  • The world with the binoculars goes back to the default view.
  • Clicking and dragging works "backwards": if you drag downwards, the map will move upwards on your screen.
  • The up and down arrows on your keyboard zoom in and out.
  • Left and right arrows pan "backwards".
  • Page up and page down raise and lower the camera.
  • Shift+up/down arrows moves the camera forwards and back.
  • Unchecking Tools > Display shadows will make your resulting image much brighter.
  • Zoom in as far as you can while still fitting the whole image on the screen.

The "High Quality" option doesn't work on many computers anymore, so don't worry, it's not just you.

There's two ways to save your image, once you're happy with it.

First, you can go to Tools > Save picture..., and save the contents of the 3D window as a .bmp file.

Or, you can take a screenshot with the Print Screen button on your keyboard (this is what I do).

3. Add your map name to the image.

Next, you'll want to open an image editor (like Paint, or Paint.net, or GIMP). Open your image (File > Open if you did the .bmp, Ctrl+V if you did the screenshot).

If you used a screenshot, you'll need to crop the borders pretty heavily.

Add your username and the name of the map to the white space around the map image with a text tool. This will help people identify as much information about the map as possible.

Save your image as a .png, or as a .jpg. Either is fine.

4. Create build instructions.

Go back to VirtualScape, and make sure your map image is still open.

Go to File>Print Overview and make sure everything looks as you intended, and that you don't have any tiles showing up in red because you still have them selected.

If you're happy, hit Print.

Use a PDF writer as your printer (Windows 10 has one included called Microsoft Print to PDF, but I used to use CutePDF).

Save your file, and that part is done.

5. Upload your image.

Get an imgur account.

Go to imgur.com/upload, upload your saved image, and then leave that tab open.

6. Upload your build instructions.

Get a google account.

Go to drive.google.com, hit New>File Upload, and upload your PDF.

Open the newly uploaded PDF, and you should see three dots in the top right corner. Click those, and then Share.

In the bottom right corner of the dialog box, click Advanced. In the middle of the page, you'll see something that says "Private - Only you can access". Click Change, which is just to the right.

You want to change it to "On - Anyone with the link" (can view).

Leave that tab open.

7. Make your post.

Go to your map thread, or make a map thread.

Use the following forum code template to put in the picture of your map and the build instructions.

Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/MVGDoSk.jpg[/img]
To get that URL, right-click on your uploaded image, and select "copy image address".

Code:
[url=https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lIYX1iPVb5CEp_DgXPBvoq5tx1HF1eet/view?usp=sharing]Your Map Name Here[/url] build instructions.
To get that URL, go back to your PDF on Google Drive, and you should see something that says "Link to share". Copy that.

Post your thread or your post, and then you're done!

Let me know if I missed anything, or if there's anything I could clarify or expand on.

Last edited by superfrog; August 3rd, 2020 at 07:35 PM.
Old February 11th, 2019, 03:32 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: How to share your maps with the world. (2019)

Ill just throw out here that mediafire.com allows you to both share images and files. I share pdfs virtualscape files and images all from there.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old February 11th, 2019, 03:49 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: How to share your maps with the world. (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Ill just throw out here that mediafire.com allows you to both share images and files. I share pdfs virtualscape files and images all from there.
You're very right. I used mediafire for a long time.

My biggest problem with mediafire is that they want you to go to their site. Because of that, you have to jump through some hoops to get the image URL, and it's impossible to directly link a PDF (at least as far as I can tell). All you can do is link to the download page, and that means fewer people will take the time to click through.

Imgur is simple to use, and Google Drive supports direct links. That's why I've chosen those to be in this OP.
Old February 11th, 2019, 03:55 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
If you right click on the download button and copy the button as the link, when the person clicks your link in your post it downloads. Either way, thanks for posting these, I know there is a few people on the facebook page that would benefit from these instructions.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo

Last edited by Dysole; August 25th, 2020 at 09:48 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios