Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old September 11th, 2014, 02:12 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun
Wargrounds of Scape (WoS) - discussion thread

We are delighted to announce a new map-evaluation project that has sprung out of deliberation within the online 'Scape community.

We envision this project as a complement to the BoV. Like the BoV, the Wargrounds of Scape will accept nominations of maps and judge them for overall tournament-play quality, with the best being given our stamp of approval. Unlike the BoV, the Wargrounds of Scape will have looser terrain requirements, allow things such as uncapped FotA columns and Marvel ruins, welcome submissions for C3G/HoSS maps as well as classic maps, consider (though not be limited to) maps intended for online play, and be able to take advantage of feedback from online play. We've also devised a streamlined and flexible judging structure intended to ensure fast processing.

We hope that tournament directors and anybody else seeking high-quality competitive maps will find this a valuable resource.

Want to see all maps inducted into the WoS? Visit the WoS display thread.

By-laws of the Wargrounds of Scape
Map nominations & guidelines

1. Anyone can nominate a map for consideration. Nominations must include a link to PDF build instructions.
2. There are no strict terrain limits for submitted maps. As long as it's possible to construct the map with physical Heroscape terrain, it is eligible for consideration. (See #5, however.)
3. Standard map-building rules apply. Uncapped FotA columns and the Marvel ruin (with or without the second level) are permitted.
4. Unless a map is intended only for Heat of Battle or similar formats, the map should contain 24 hexes of start zone for each player, marked in the build instructions.
5. If maps contain glyphs, the map may designate random glyphs or may stipulate specific glyphs. Please specify whether Treasure glyphs or standard glyphs are intended. Released C3V glyphs may be used.
6. If the intention of a submitted map is that it will be used solely for online play, then state as much clearly, and it will be reviewed as such. Otherwise, the judges will take into account the amount of terrain needed when judging the map; maps that take more than a couple expansions, or maps that are difficult to use at a tournament (large footprint, for instance) will be less likely to be accepted. Issues of stability and ease of construction may also be taken into account for live-play maps.

How maps are judged

1. Maps will be judged subjectively by each judge on the quality of play in 1v1 games. Consideration will also be given to aesthetics, how easy the map is to use in online play, and whether the start zone accommodates the Marro Hive. Build stability and material used will be considered for maps intended for live events.
2. Maps that receive a super-majority of 75% of votes cast within the designated 4-month period (see #4 below) will be added to the list of approved maps. Judges may vote "no" based on their initial impressions of the map but are expected to base any "yes" votes on playing experience.
3. Judges are expected to post their review of a map, with a vote, within 4 months after a map is nominated and both a VirtualScape (.hsc) file and a properly formatted google drawing of a top-down map (including level numbers, etc.) have been generated. (The person submitting the map is not required to generate the .hsc file or the top-down image, but the 4-month timer does not begin until both have been created.)

Self-governance

1. Current judges are: Bengi, dok, Foudzing, kevindola, Killometer, Kinseth, and Typhon2222.
2. Judges will maintain their position unless they fail to submit at least 1 vote on a map within an 8-month period.
3. New judges will be added by a majority vote of votes cast within a 2-week period following the nomination.
4. Judges are not eligible to vote on their own maps.
5. These by-laws may be changed and amended at any time by a 75% majority of votes cast within a 2-week period following the proposal.

Thanks

To awesomeunleashed, for making many topdowns of maps under review.
To Ninja Status, for our neat badges and our shmexy logo.

Wargrounds of Scape
accepting nominations
my maps
Online Heroscape Season 18 win a Ticalla Jungle

Last edited by Typhon2222; March 7th, 2015 at 11:37 AM. Reason: updated by-laws: nominations no longer require an .hsc file.
Old September 11th, 2014, 02:12 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010 & 2011

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: WARGROUNDS of SCAPE (WoS) - discussion thread

(yes votes, no votes)

Inducted Maps

REMAINS OF CLIONESIA by tannergx
- dok, kevindola, Typhon2222, Foudzing, Kinseth

WYRMWALK by Panopticon
- dok, Foudzing, Kinseth, Typhon2222

PLATYPUS by Robber
- Typhon2222, dok

Maps Under Review

HIGH WAYS OR THE HIGHWAY, JUNGLE EDITION by 1Mmirg (judging timer started on 8/14/15)

A STONE'S THROW by darkmage7a
- Foudzing

MARSH THICKET by Joseph Sweeney
- Foudzing

Previously Reviewed Maps

MAYBERRY by mad_wookie
- kevindola, Foudzing, Typhon2222, Bengi

CAGE MATCH by Dignan
- Foudzing, dok

CALIDA by Superfrog
- dok, Foudzing

THE BOROGOVES by Typhon2222
- Foudzing, Killometer

Last edited by dok; October 19th, 2016 at 01:05 AM.
Old September 11th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is hot lava death! MegaSilver is hot lava death! MegaSilver is hot lava death! MegaSilver is hot lava death! MegaSilver is hot lava death! MegaSilver is hot lava death! MegaSilver is hot lava death! MegaSilver is hot lava death! MegaSilver is hot lava death! MegaSilver is hot lava death! MegaSilver is hot lava death! MegaSilver is hot lava death! MegaSilver is hot lava death! MegaSilver is hot lava death!

I'd like to nominate Mayberry by mad_wookie.

PDF Download.

VC/HSC File.

Requires 2 Marvel and 2 Road sets. Can be played in live games and online, as it has been played on both ways.

NOTE: 2nd Levels of Warehouse Ruins are not used. VS does not have a way to remove them during the building process.

Last edited by MegaSilver; September 11th, 2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old September 11th, 2014, 02:53 PM

Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun

@MegaSilver , I've admired @mad_wookiee 's Mayberry since I first saw it. Makes a grand inaugural submission for our project.

Wargrounds of Scape
accepting nominations
my maps

Last edited by Typhon2222; September 11th, 2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old September 11th, 2014, 07:02 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth

What are the "Standard map-building rules?"

A Child of the Risen Lord
--
Oklahoma HS Events - Colorado HS Events
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Maps Customs Trades
Old September 11th, 2014, 07:10 PM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
What are the "Standard map-building rules?"
Just that with the exception of what follows that sentence (i.e. legality of uncapped FotA columns and the Marvel Ruin without the second level) the official building rules should be followed. So no floating ladders, no jungle pieces that aren't connected to at least two other pieces of terrain, etc.
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:44 PM

Simval rolls all skulls baby! Simval rolls all skulls baby! Simval rolls all skulls baby! Simval rolls all skulls baby!

Just posting to say that I love this idea ! I thought about something like this a while ago, since the online tournaments open up a lot of possibilities since thare are no realt terrain requirement (e.g. Running Hot).

Glad to see this kind of project.
Old September 12th, 2014, 12:05 AM

@Simval , thanks for the encouraging note. We sure hope the Wargrounds of Scape will be of service to the community.

Wargrounds of Scape
accepting nominations
my maps
Old September 12th, 2014, 01:16 AM

I would like to nominate Remains of Clionesia, by tannergx.

pdf link

Topdown for online play

.hsc (.vs)

The requirements for this map are simple: RotV + FotA. I've played on this map in, I think, three different online events and three different live events; It works in both settings.

---

And, of course, I vote YES to induct this map. With all the times I've used this map it needs no further review from my end.

The road and excellent pathing makes it hard to clog things up. Combine that with the LoS blockers, and there are definitely ways for ranged forces to find height and snipe at an advancing force, but they have to work for it (shades of Highways and Dieways).

This map is a great model for how to use uncapped columns. It's not a "maze" map, with lots of narrow openings that can easily get clogged up. Instead, the columns naturally divide the map into zones, without restricting movement too greatly. There's a tension between clogging things up and blocking line of sight, and the balance is really well-struck here.

I also appreciate the restraint on height changes. There's of variation, to be sure - nearly every space in the middle area of the map either gives up height to an adjacent space, or has height advantage on an adjacent space (or both). But there are large stretches of connected same-level terrain, which is not just great for my boy Tor-Kul-Na, but for any double-spaced walking melee figure.

If there's anything I'd change on the map it's the startzones - that's the one area where the map is too flat. It's just two rows of level 1 grass. That said, I think that's pretty much necessary given the terrain used (most of the material is dedicated to creating the dynamic middle area of the map).

A great map that I'm happy to give a to. I hope to see it getting more use at tournaments everywhere.

Last edited by dok; September 13th, 2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old September 12th, 2014, 03:26 AM

Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I like Remains of Clionesia a lot. This map was used in the French Heroscape Tournament last year.

I don't know if it can help, but I made 3 fully pictured battle reports on this map (here, here and here). Really fun to play on.
Old September 12th, 2014, 12:38 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth

I would like to nominate Cage Match, by Dignan.

pdf link

.hsc link

google doc template

The requirements are SotM + FotA. I've played on this map in multiple live events as well as in-home games. It offers very different play from most other maps I've played. The action happens very quickly and most of the map is almost always used. The central glyphs in the .pdf are very strong, but I found that to be sufficiently mitigated by their very vulnerable positions (and by the use of moderately strong glyphs on the exterior positions, like Wannok). I found Thorian to typically be a balanced glyph on this map in that location, as it is fairly easy to access but difficult to hold. I have even felt that the Thorian glyph in that location gives melee a needed edge against some ranged matchups. I imagine the map could be tested with different glyphs--I don't know if that would require a separate submission or not.

This is one of my favorite maps to play. I hope it meets your approval.

A Child of the Risen Lord
--
Oklahoma HS Events - Colorado HS Events
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Maps Customs Trades

Last edited by capsocrates; September 12th, 2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old September 12th, 2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrgard View Post
I like Remains of Clionesia a lot. This map was used in the French Heroscape Tournament last year.

I don't know if it can help, but I made 3 fully pictured battle reports on this map (here, here and here). Really fun to play on.
@Lyrgard , thanks for sharing your experience and battle reports on the map -- those are always fun to read, and useful too.

Wargrounds of Scape
accepting nominations
my maps

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios