Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 6th, 2022, 03:10 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth
Re: Wargrounds of Scape (WoS) - discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Origin by Flash_19

This is a good map. My favorite 1x RotV map I’ve ever played on. I’ll focus this review on the center of the map but it is worth noting that the sides (except for those pointless water tiles) routinely see a lot of play as well.

My favorite thing about the center is the ruin placement. They are far enough away from the start zone to be useful, but also far enough from the action that hiding to pop out from behind them is limited in its effectiveness. The height distribution through the center is also good, encouraging forward and sideways movement.

The ruin and the 3-hex water in front of the start zone do kinda make you pick a side, and that kinda matters, but the middle is wonderfully open and dynamic in a way that leaves lots of decisions to each different stage of development. I almost decided to but a blurb in here suggesting double ruin, but I couldn’t decide whether double big ruin or double small ruin made more sense, so safe to say it’s quite workable even with the ruin difference.

to induct.

Would also be interested in seeing Origin: Jungle Edition potentially at some point…
We have also been enjoying playing on Origin. While there are some his/hers high points, the inevitable slight differences in the two ruins, divisive water points, and some congested center areas (which happens any time the ruins are placed near elevation changes), this map overcomes all of that with its dynamic, active play.

This feels like an open, run for cover, grab momentary height, shift your strategy, sneak around the wall, snag a glyph, pull back, shift your strategy again, duck behind a ruin, get in your opponent's face, pray for victory kind of map that inspires both storytelling and great game play.

I will admit that for a long time I felt like RotV only maps were just ones we needed to use because there is only so much terrain and we need 6 maps for our tourney. Origin changes that. I would choose to play on this map even if other terrain-rich maps were available.

Yes, I don't like the way melee can get chewed up, but as superfrog mentioned, the ruins on this map are well placed to offer some good cover.

(I'll note that I actually like the water trails on the outside, both for just having a bit more space to move around the glyphs and because I appreciate a map that offers some continuous water for those poor sad slither units that get to use their power so rarely.)

All of that is to say I vote YEA on Origin.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios