Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 4th, 2022, 03:54 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Wargrounds of Scape (WoS) - discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEAO View Post
I'd like to nominate Percolator by @Ulysses .

1x RotV, 1x TJ, 1x Small Ruin

As a judge, I try not to nominate too many maps. More specifically, I've been limiting it to maps that have appeared at GenCon/ScapeCon (although there are really only a few others that I'd even want to nominate at this point- I'm very happy with how WoS has progressed).

Percolator was my second favorite of the non-WoS maps in the ScapeCon II pool (only behind Desolation). Approaching the middle of the board is very balanced- you almost always develop partially to the center, and partially to one of the sides. I've had success going both directions, in large part thanks to the nice balance Ulysses has struck with jungle to the lower ground on the left, and the ruin and higher ground to the right.

This is also one of the first maps (the first?) to use 1x RotV, but doubling up on one of the ruins (in this case, the small). I'm a fan of this practice when it improves a map- especially when one of our maps, Battlefield_23, doesn't use any ruins.
I really like the look of this map (minus the cop out of taking a small ruin from another master set). However, there does seem to be one obvious flaw: It appears that you want the better glyph to show up on your left. You have jungle bush cover approaching that glyph but you are in the open on the right. Seems like a very easy thing to fix.

But maybe I'm overlooking something. I just glanced at this map and haven't really taken a deep dive look at it.
I was planning on just addressing this in the review, but the weekend's gotten away from me, so I don't think I'll be writing it up today. I think the most telling thing is how many people will confidently tell you left or right is better- it's a pretty even split. Personally, I prefer going right. But again, you never go just right or left- you're always going middle too. The ruin and quick access to level 3 (and better access to level 4) makes going right very good. But left is also good, with the jungle cover really balancing things out.

I also didn't mention it, but it obviously uses the same sets as your map Fulcrum. I think there's room in WoS for both. They're very different maps, and I don't have a strong preference either way- I like both quite a bit.

(I suppose this is starting to read like a review...)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios