Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old October 18th, 2016, 08:33 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Not for this figure, but for repaints in general I would imagine RotV and SotM figures being acceptable.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old October 19th, 2016, 12:53 AM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

What about figures from waves that were reprinted or weren't highly sought after? I'm specifically thinking Wave 1, Wave 5/10.
Old October 19th, 2016, 01:05 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I'd be inclined to consider simple repaints of common squads (or a common hero) where the submitted custom was a unique hero, and where the custom had good reason for looking just the same as on existing unit.

I might take exceptions to that, if a squad is less prevalent or more valuable, but that's a general baseline philosophy on repaints from one judge.
Old October 19th, 2016, 09:27 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

I'm less inclined to accept a Repaint. If you look at the Official Repaints they are not exactly easy. Hawthorn has the shield and Nerak has shading and washing. Skahen is the easiest, with Woo being a bit harder. Also all of those end up looking very distinct from the units they are repaints of. It is worth noting these all come from Common Figures too. The Granit Guardians, Elite vipers and Quasquatch Warriors also look fairly distinct, but I think are also fairly involved Repaints, with washes and detail work. At that point may as well go down the unpainted road.

To me most of the Unique heroes and Squads would look like Street Fighter Color Variants with a simple repaint, and would not look distinct enough. I could see a repaint of the Warriors of Ashra with the Head Dress would be the best option I could see, but even then I'm not so sure.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old October 19th, 2016, 10:59 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

The only repaint I think would be ok would be if you did an evil Raelyn . Just like in the Heroscape cartoon. You could paint it up to look just like that and use a Raelyn sculpt.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old October 19th, 2016, 11:41 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I actually thought the repurposing of Abom as a Marro was pretty clever. However I would tend to want any repaints to be uniques, not uncommons.
Old October 19th, 2016, 11:52 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
I actually thought the repurposing of Abom as a Marro was pretty clever. However I would tend to want any repaints to be uniques, not uncommons.
Totally agreed. I think it looks pretty great, but I don't think that's enough for SoV.
Old October 19th, 2016, 01:01 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
I thought it was a great repaint, and the sculpt could work. Unlike Tyrian, though, it was a repaint that you couldn't fool around with. It looked demanding.

Quality work, though, and I like the concept.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 19th, 2016, 01:44 PM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth

Executioner 616 by @Dysole

Ah, good ol' 616, home of the Avengers, the X-Men, and technically still the Fantastic Four even if Marvel is trying to sweep them under the rug. Still, a whole universe is a bit big for an SoV submission, and I'm pretty sure there's another project for that anyway (though I here that loser Soundwarp SG-1 works there, so you might want to avoid it). Oh wait... this is a different 616! That makes more sense, I was wondering how all those spandex-clad smucks managed to stuff themselves in a robot suit...

Anywho, Executioner 616 seems to have killed the Marvel Universe, but does he have what it takes to explode his way into the SoV?

Balance

Looking at his stats, 616 seems about right at 115. Deadly Strike is a powerful ability, but if you're just looking for a deadly striking beatstick, Migol's got a lot more going for him between his superior bonding option and survivability. That means you really need to be using 616's Remote Detonation to get the most out of him, which is how it should be.

Theme

I love the idea of Isodora having executioner bots, makes perfect sense for a prison planet. Deadly strike really clicks for a Soulborg executioner too; it can represent either precision or brutality, or in this case a little of both. It's a little weird that he can turn other borgs into bombs when they can't explode on their own, but I picture it as some sort of unstable energy transfer (as seen in every 5th episode of Star Trek) or the like instead of him just sending a “will u xplde 4 me plz” text message. I kind of wish his personality was Ruthless instead of Tormenting, he is exploding his own teammates all the time after-all, but other than that, he's solid thematically.

Creativity

Making every Soulborg in your army into Andrew D. Kaboom is certainly unique if nothing else.

Playability

Unsurprisingly, given his designer, 616 has all manner of combos and synergy to work with. A full bonding squad, full bonding common hero, limited bonding unique hero, and a bunch of other Soulborg bombs-in-waiting. Fortunately, none of his bonding options are amazingly powerful currently, so there is room for them to expand. I was most worried about Deathreavers actually, given their borderline broken power level, but as they effectively have a penalty on Detonation rolls I never found the pairing terribly powerful. They still make a nice back-up bomb option in a Zettian Infantry or Hoplitron build though, and it's not like any army is really made worse by having some rats around. Other than the rats, turning Zets or Hops (or Deathstalkers) into bombs can be useful, but it's hardly over-powered as you're paying for those bigger bangs with higher costs per figure and it's not something you can do but so often without screwing yourself over more than your opponent.

The one thing I don't really care for is the extra 2 wounds on a 20+, it seems unnecessary and overly punitive to unique hero heavy armies, but it wasn't enough of a fun-killer for me to ax the Executioner over.

Summary

I had a lot of fun with 616. He adds some fun options to the Deathborg faction without breaking anything, certainly a worthwhile addition to the game.

I vote to induct Executioner 616 into the SoV.

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store
Old October 24th, 2016, 11:12 PM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

On the subject of SOV repaints: what about a Dumetef Guard?

Orgsbane made this excellent repaint for the NW Customs team. He has a lot of subtle details but I think this could be a simple enough repaint for folks.

Ice Demon (Unique Hero):
Spoiler Alert!
Old October 24th, 2016, 11:42 PM
Will Paint For naGrub...

orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by obfuscatedhippo View Post
On the subject of SOV repaints: what about a Dumetef Guard?

Orgsbane made this excellent repaint for the NW Customs team. He has a lot of subtle details but I think this could be a simple enough repaint for folks.

Ice Demon (Unique Hero):
Spoiler Alert!
As much as I loved it, the marro was definitely a tough repaint, and I ended up sinking quite a few hours into it. Obfuscatedhippo is right though, the ice demon is a very straightforward one, I'm willing to bet even someone who has never painted before would be able to make a good looking model out of it with just around 20 minutes of time spent on it, not including drying.
Old October 24th, 2016, 11:58 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

I dunno. I like the intent, but that just looks like a blue Dumutef to me. Official repaints (and Tyrian) were all the same species or a single sort of creature (rockmen vs lava rockmen, for example). Demons can take different forms, but pretending that isn't a fiantooth is too much for me.

I'm also not so sure people have extra Dumutefs to paint. It's been a long time since the road set was in print.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs