Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old March 31st, 2018, 10:38 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth
Re: Leaf_It's customs. [UPDATED: 2.24.18]

I think the error your making is trying to get a personal approval for something that is best designed or at least informed by a group.

You will note I have an extensive set of customs and I've never tried to get one through SoV. Maybe if I found the right mini, but for the most par I like my customs the way they are. I've even created customs of official units so they better fit my collection.

If you like your design as it is, stop twea king it and post the card. if you think you have a better design that you like more try again. at some point you need to deside between making your self happy and having a custom that checks all the boxes. or maybe you will get lucky and the same design will do both.

Imagine the difference between painting for your self and a commissioned work both require skill but they will look very different.

Finally if you really want SoV approval look over the cards for all the existing unis and C3V units. Take a look at Scy tales customs and his reasoning behind them. Scytale also has some good blog posts in the codex, while I give my own advice in my custom thread. The drow assasin can pass but it might not be the one in your vision.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old March 31st, 2018, 03:50 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

You are fortunate to have gotten this far with your concept.

Assassination

After taking a turn with a Drow hero or squad, you may reveal the X order marker on this card, if you do, you may take a turn with this Drow Assassin.

If this is acceptable to the SoV, and amenable to you, it should be enough of a Drow connection. If you still want to transpose figures, you may get away with it if you do it after the Assassin's turn.

Strategic Shift
After taking a turn with this Drow Assassin,
you may choose any [friendly][Drow][squad] figure [you control] within 6 sight spaces of that Drow Assassin whose base is no more than 5 levels higher or lower than the base of the chosen figure. You may Switch that Drow Assassin with the chosen figure. Figures moved by Strategic Shift never take any leaving engagement attacks.

That way, you can use it to retreat, and shift another unit into engagement with your target. I suggest you not restrict this power to Drow, if you can, making them generally more useful.

The Drow are great on Dungeon/Shadow terrain; it's on regular terrain they need help. Hide in Shadows makes your Drow Assassins also dependent on
Dungeon/Shadow terrain. I suggest a variation on Estivara's Cloud of Darkness I'm using for both my Viereyl custom and my new Kha custom, as it is not terrain dependent.

Cloak of DarknessAfter taking a turn with this Drow Assassin, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, while it remains on that space, this Drow Assassin has no visible hit zones until you reveal an order marker.

I also suggest making their Class Rogue, instead of Assassin, again to make them generally more useful.

As a Drow Assassin can now retreat after taking a turn, you might want to eschew any defensive powerin favor of an offensive one.

Poison Weapons
Each time a Drow Assassin attacks a small, medium or large Hero with a normal attack or a leaving engagement attack and inflicts at least one wound, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-11, nothing happens. If you roll a 12 or higher, add 1 additional wound to the defending figure.

If you could get away with rewriting Estivara's Venom Ray Special Attack, as I did for Viereyl, it would be even more deadly.

Envenomed WeaponsEach time Viereyl inflicts a wound, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 1-9, the defending figure receives no additional wounds from Envenomed Weapons. If you roll 10-19, add one additional wound marker to the defending figure's card, and roll again for Envenomed Weapons. If you roll a 20, destroy the defending figure.

I believe that using variations of existing powers to achieve your ends will give you a better chance of acceptance.

Old March 31st, 2018, 04:34 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post

Well met!

You are fortunate to have gotten this far with your concept.

Assassination

After taking a turn with a Drow hero or squad, you may reveal the X order marker on this card, if you do, you may take a turn with this Drow Assassin.

If this is acceptable to the SoV, and amenable to you, it should be enough of a Drow connection. If you still want to transpose figures, you may get away with it if you do it after the Assassin's turn.

Strategic Shift
After taking a turn with this Drow Assassin,
you may choose any [friendly][Drow][squad] figure [you control] within 6 sight spaces of that Drow Assassin whose base is no more than 5 levels higher or lower than the base of the chosen figure. You may Switch that Drow Assassin with the chosen figure. Figures moved by Strategic Shift never take any leaving engagement attacks.

That way, you can use it to retreat, and shift another unit into engagement with your target. I suggest you not restrict this power to Drow, if you can, making them generally more useful.

The Drow are great on Dungeon/Shadow terrain; it's on regular terrain they need help. Hide in Shadows makes your Drow Assassins also dependent on
Dungeon/Shadow terrain. I suggest a variation on Estivara's Cloud of Darkness I'm using for both my Viereyl custom and my new Kha custom, as it is not terrain dependent.

Cloak of DarknessAfter taking a turn with this Drow Assassin, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, while it remains on that space, this Drow Assassin has no visible hit zones until you reveal an order marker.

I also suggest making their Class Rogue, instead of Assassin, again to make them generally more useful.

As a Drow Assassin can now retreat after taking a turn, you might want to eschew any defensive powerin favor of an offensive one.

Poison Weapons
Each time a Drow Assassin attacks a small, medium or large Hero with a normal attack or a leaving engagement attack and inflicts at least one wound, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-11, nothing happens. If you roll a 12 or higher, add 1 additional wound to the defending figure.

If you could get away with rewriting Estivara's Venom Ray Special Attack, as I did for Viereyl, it would be even more deadly.

Envenomed WeaponsEach time Viereyl inflicts a wound, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 1-9, the defending figure receives no additional wounds from Envenomed Weapons. If you roll 10-19, add one additional wound marker to the defending figure's card, and roll again for Envenomed Weapons. If you roll a 20, destroy the defending figure.

I believe that using variations of existing powers to achieve your ends will give you a better chance of acceptance.

This is my current version I have been playtesting:
Quote:
NAME = DROW ASSASSIN
GENERAL = UTGAR
PLANET = TORIL
SPECIES = DROW
UNIQUENESS = COMMON HERO
CLASS = ASSASSSIN
PERSONALITY = TRICKY
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

1 LIFE
6 MOVE
1 RANGE
4 ATTACK
2 DEFENSE
25 - 35 POINTS (leaning towards 25)

Shadow Shift
Before or after moving a Drow Assassin, and before attacking, you may choose a Drow figure that you control within 4 spaces of that Drow Assassin. You may Switch the Drow Assassin with the chosen figure. Figures moved by Shadow Shift never take any leaving engagement attacks.

Assassination
After taking a turn with a Drow hero or squad, you may reveal the X order marker on this card, if you do, you may take a turn with a Drow Assassin that you control.

Hide in Darkness
If a Drow Assassin is attacked with a normal attack and at least 1 skull is rolled, roll the 20-sided die. If that Drow Assassin is on a dungeon space, add 3 to your die roll. If it is on a shadow space, add 6 to your die roll. If you roll a 1-15, roll defense dice normally. If you roll a 16 or higher, ignore all damage that would have been inflicted by the attack.
For the design of the Assassin, the Assassination ability will be more versatile if it doesn't force you to take a turn with the Assassin specifically, to activate it. However if you do need to take a turn with the Assassin to activate it, that could possibly make it feel less like pseudo-bonding...

The name Shadow Shift is more thematic to the Drow. I like the option of shifting away after attacking, but I kind of like the way I currently have it better. It allows you to switch a figure and then attack, which was an aspect of the original submission.

Hide in Darkness is definitely much better on Dungeon maps, but it still useful outside of them. It has the same chance as Frenzy when it's on any normal terrain. Your Cloak of Darkness is useful against range, but it melee can always attack, even with no hit zone, so I feel like Hide in Darkness is more useful overall.

Rogue is an interesting idea, and opens up some synergy with other factions. They won't be as useful outside of the Drow faction, but the Brigand faction could see them as an intriguing addition to their army... I'm not sold on it, but I'll think about this. If I do, I might change the name from Drow Assassin, to Drow Rogue.

While I think your ranged version of poison weapons was interesting, I don't think it fits on the Assassin. The Deepwyrm already have poison weapons, and giving a similar ability to the Assassin would feel like I was just making a better Deepwyrm. I don't think the Drow need another melee figure with Poison.
Old March 31st, 2018, 06:59 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
I have 0 designs in the sov but have designed over 100 cards over the years. I just dont need their approval on my designs to have fun with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
You will note I have an extensive set of customs and I've never tried to get one through SoV. Maybe if I found the right mini, but for the most par I like my customs the way they are. I've even created customs of official units so they better fit my collection.
QFT! There are so many awesome customs out there, and a lot of them aren't fitting for the SoV for some reason or another. I'm strongly of the opinion that designing exclusively for SoV induction is a bad idea - you'll burn yourself out trying to get something through a committee, and I think that's what you're going through right now. Not every custom needs to go through the SoV, and not every great idea needs to become canon, IMO. I have a lot more fun designing customs for my own "home meta" than I do when I'm trying to accommodate the whole custom canon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
I remember wanting to try and make the Drow more fun to play, so that others who played with the Drow could have a more enjoyable experience.
I think this is key for you. Make something you have fun playing, and that others will enjoy playing. If it all lines up just right, then maybe the SoV is for it, and it can get accepted. But the SoV is in no way a badge of honor saying that your custom is "good enough" or something like that. Like I said (and tons of others have said as well), there are tons of excellent customs out there that wouldn't pass into the SoV and that's fine.

I get that you're invested into the Drow Assassin, particularly because you want to help others have more fun with the Drow (a great motivation) and because you bought almost a hundred of them. And I definitely think it has the potential to make a great addition. But don't kill yourself trying to satisfy everyone else and yourself at the same time. That will run yourself and your design ragged. Take a step back if you need to. I find I get my best ideas when I stop trying to cram mechanics into a unit and instead let the unit tell its story through mechanics.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old May 10th, 2018, 09:12 PM

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

I decided to put all of the customs that I am currently working on for the SoV in here.

These are not all of the customs I have, but these are the ones that I have felt the desire to refine to a point where they could be submitted to the SoV. Not all of them are very close to being in an SoV ready state close, and I can promise that some of them will never even be submitted to the workshop.

I would like feedback in any form you are willing to give, but keep in mind that I don't want to drastically change any of these designs unless I have to. Still, if you think you have a better idea for the theme or design of one of my customs, I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Pricing has been a week point for me in all of my customs, and I'm not terribly good at nailing it down. With that said, I have taken the time to try and get an approximate range in which I think these customs should fall. In you think that my range is off, please let me know.

In no particular order, here are the Customs that I would like to eventually submit to the SoV.

Ninjas
Quote:
NAME = HOTARU
GENERAL = VALKRILL
PLANET = EARTH
SPECIES = HUMAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = NINJA
PERSONALITY = MURDEROUS
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 4

3 LIFE
6 MOVE
1 RANGE
3 ATTACK
2 DEFENSE
20 - 45 POINTS

Cursed Weapons:
When attacking with Hotaru, if he does not roll a skull on any attack die, place 1 wound marker on this card. If Hotaru rolls a skull on every die, you may attack again with Hotaru. Hotaru may keep attacking until he does not roll a skull on every die.

Blood Thirst:
If Hotaru rolls a skull on every die, and destroys a figure with that attack, you may remove a wound marker from this Army Card. Hotaru may not use Blood Thirst on destructible objects.

Phantom Walk:
Hotaru can move through all figures and is never attacked when leaving an engagement.

Theme/explanation: Hotaru Accepted a cursed set of weapons in exchange for power which has manipulated his mind, and caused him to become a blood thirsty monster in Human skin. The curse hurts him if he doesn't take the life of others, and will hurt him if it thinks he isn't trying, hence if he blanks his attack, he'll take damage. The upside of the curse is increased vitality when he does take a life, and increased reflexes and speed when he puts his whole self into trying to hurt something, hence why destroying a figure heals him, and why he can attack multiple times when he rolls all skulls. I have a possible figure in mind, and might consider submitting to the workshop soon.

Figure used is the Heroclix "Court of Owls Assassin #011", But I am looking to see if I can find another figure that looks more Valkrill-ish
Spoiler Alert!

--------
NAME = REINA
GENERAL = AQUILLA
PLANET = EARTH
SPECIES = HUMAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE
CLASS = NINJA
PERSONALITY = CONFIDENT
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 4

3 LIFE
6 MOVE
1 RANGE
3 ATTACK
5 DEFENSE
55 - 75 POINTS (feels like about 65)

Arbalest Special Attack:/O-Yumi Special Attack:
Range 7. Attack 3.
Reina may only use Arbalest Special Attack once per round.

Reposition:
If Reina is attacked and at least 1 skull is rolled, and Reina successfully defends against that attack, Reina may immediately move up to 4 spaces.

Phantom Walk:
Reina can move through all figures and is never attacked when leaving an engagement.

Theme/explanation: The figure used for Reina has a crossbow on her back, and Crossbows can take a bit to reload. The once per round limit is for reload time, and to keep the point price down. "O-Yumi" is a Japanese pronunciation of Crossbow, but I probably won't use that name. Reina is smart, so she'll reposition herself in combat to try and make the most of any situation. I like the idea, and theme behind Vanish, and Disappearing ninja, but I also know how frustrating they can be, so "Reposition" felt like a good compromise, though I could probably think of a better name that sounds more ninja-y. I have the figure for her picked out, and might consider submitting her to the workshop soon.

The figure used is the Wizkids Wardlings Rogue, from the "Girl Rogue with Badger" set.
Spoiler Alert!

Drow

Quote:
NAME = VIERNA
GENERAL = UTGAR
PLANET = TORIL
SPECIES = DROW
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = SORCERER
PERSONALITY = INDULGENT
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

4 LIFE
5 MOVE
1 RANGE
3 ATTACK
4 DEFENSE
70 - 110 POINTS (Through several iterations, the price has been hard to nail down)

Shroud of Darkness
All friendly figures within 4 line of sight spaces of Vierna, are considered to be on a Shadow space when defending from an attack.

Drow Soul Shield
If Vierna would receive one or more wounds from a normal attack by an opponent's figure, you may choose to destroy a Drow figure you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Vierna. If you do, ignore all damage that would be inflicted by the attack.

Theme/explanation: It just kind of made sense to me that there would a Drow cheerleader of some sort, that covered everything next to her in shadow. She does not have Flying, and She has one less move than Realin, so I doubt she'll replace her in any composition unless you are playing Drow. Soul Shield is where the Drow theme comes in, She values her own life more than the lives of those around her, and you probably do too.

The figure used is "Drow Elite Warrior #6", But it's quantity has dropped sharply recently, so I might have to choose a different figure. This design needs more testing anyway, so I'm not too concerned at the moment.
Spoiler Alert!

The Assassin is already in this thread, so I'm not including her in this post.
Dwarves
Quote:
NAME = DALMAR OF IRONSTONE
GENERAL = AQUILLA
PLANET = FAYLUND
SPECIES = DWARF
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE
CLASS = WARRIOR
PERSONALITY = STEADFAST
SIZE/HEIGHT = SMALL 3

3 LIFE
4 MOVE
1 RANGE
3 ATTACK
5 DEFENSE
60 - 80 POINTS

Imposing threat:
An opponent's figure that is engaged with Dalmar of Ironstone, rolls 2 less attack dice when attacking friendly Common Dwarf figures, with a normal attack.

The Battle is Within Sight:
Before moving Dalmar of Ironstone, if a friendly figure within 6 clear sight spaces is engaged, you may add 2 to Dalmar of Ironstone's move.

Climb X2:
When moving up or down levels of terrain, Dalmar of Ironstone may double his height.

Theme/explanation: The idea is just to get Dalmar engaged with the big bad of the opponent's team, so that your common dwarves are able to engage more safely.
--------
NAME = GREAT AXES OF IRONSTONE
GENERAL = AQUILLA
PLANET = FAYLUND
SPECIES = DWARVES
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE
CLASS = WARRIORS
PERSONALITY = FEARLESS
SIZE/HEIGHT = SMALL 3

LIFE: 1 (4 FIGURES)
MOVE: 4
RANGE: 1
ATTACK: 3
DEFENSE: 3
50 - 80 POINTS

Tenacity:
When rolling Attack dice for a normal attack, and at least 2 skulls were rolled, add 1 skull to what ever was rolled. When rolling Defense dice against a normal attack, and at least 2 shields were rolled, add 1 shield to what ever was rolled.

The Battle is Within Sight:
Before moving a Great Axe of Ironstone, if a friendly figure within 6 clear sight spaces is engaged, you may add 2 to that Great Axe of Ironstone's move.

Climb X2:
When moving up or down levels of terrain, Great Axes of Ironstone may double their height.

Theme/explanation: Tenacity is kind of like determination. These dwarves are so determined/tenacious that they are going to go against the odds, and somehow block a 4 skull attack with 3 shields sometimes, or break through that high defense hero with 6 defense, with only 2 or 3 skulls. Why? Because they're fearless, and won't back down from any challenge. Look out Hulk, a bunch of tiny dwarves that don't care how powerful you are, are coming to get you.

The figures used ... I can't remember the names, I'll look it up later. They all come in a set of 5 though. The picture is one that I took with my phone. It shows them next to all official dwarves. Look for their green bases. The one that is pointing is Dalmar.
Spoiler Alert!
Gargoyles
Quote:
NAME = WATCHERS OF GILMUUND
GENERAL = VALKRILL
PLANET = TORIL
SPECIES = GARGOYLES
UNIQUENESS = COMMON SQUAD
CLASS = WARDENS
PERSONALITY = MENACING
SIZE/HEIGHT = SMALL 2

1 LIFE (2 FIGURES)
4 MOVE
1 RANGE
2 ATTACK
2 DEFENSE
35 - 55 POINTS

BLOOD ACTIVATION:
After revealing an Order Marker on this Army Card and taking a turn with the Watchers of Gilmuund, if you successfully wounded a figure, you may move 2 gargoyle figures that you control, up to 4 spaces each. You cannot move any Watchers of Gilmuund that moved or attacked this turn.

STONE FIGURE
When defending against a normal attack with a Watcher of Gilmuund, add 1 automatic shield to whatever is rolled.

FLYING
When counting spaces for a Watcher of Gilmuund's movement, ignore elevations. A Watcher of Gilmuund may fly over water without stopping, pass over figures without becoming engaged, and fly over obstacles such as ruins. If a Watcher of Gilmuund is engaged when it starts to fly, it will take any leaving engagement attacks.

Theme/explanation: The Watchers of Gilmuund are evil stone statues. The smell of blood invigorates them, and causes them to seek action. They are magical stone statues, so normal attacks aren't very affective against them, but special attacks don't care if you are stone or not.

The figures used are both from the Nolzur's Marvelous unpainted Miniatures "Gargoyles" set. I've already ran them through the workshop before, and had a conversation about them being unpainted. They come as a light Grey. I have shown them to BiggaBullfrog in person, and he says they could possibly pass as stone. If you give them the most basic of washes, the stone look is really solid, but I personally think they look fine either way.
Spoiler Alert!

Specters

Quote:
NAME = SPECTERS OF ALDORN
GENERAL = VYDAR
PLANET = FAYLUND
SPECIES = UNDEAD
UNIQUENESS = COMMON SQUAD
CLASS = SPECTERS
PERSONALITY = TERRIFYING
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 4

1 LIFE (4 FIGURES)
6 MOVE
1 RANGE
2 ATTACK
3 DEFENSE
60 - 80 POINTS (feels like about 60)

Phantom Walk
Specters of Aldorn can move through all figures and are never attacked when leaving an engagement.

Levitation:
Specters of Aldorn do not take falling damage and may ignore all effects from terrain tiles they move onto or occupy.

Deathly Touch
When attacking with the Specters of Aldorn, any figures that a Specter of Aldorn moved through this turn, subtract 1 from their defense. Destructible objects are not affected by Deathly Touch.

Theme/explanation: I wanted to create ghosts that weren't evil. Just because you have unfinished business in the land of the living, doesn't mean you are evil. Vydar is a non-evil general that already has undead in his army, and the way they play fits him alright. The background/bio for this squad, is that they are the spirits of a large village that was protected by a Wizard named Aldorn, not because Aldorn was that generous, but because the land in which they settled, happened be full of untapped magical power. A Necromancer seeking that power, destroyed the Village either by a plague, or a fire, or something Necromaner-y, and attempted to raise the dead villagers and send them to attack the Wizard. Fortunately for the villagers, the Wizard had taken precautions, and set up wards, and protective spells. They weren't enough to stop the Necromancer from killing them, but this allowed the Villagers to remember who they were before dying, and kept from being controlled by the Necromancer. The Necromancer was still adept at killing the undead, just the same as the living, and made relatively short work of the undead villagers, but Vydar saved them as they were killed, bringing them to Valhalla. I have the figures all picked out, and quantity is readily available. I want to submit to the workshop soon.

The figures used for the Specters are from the Nolzur's Marvelous Unpainted Miniatures "Ghost & Banshee" and "Wraith & Specter" sets. Isamu is there for scale. Keep in mind that he is closer to the camera.
Spoiler Alert!

I have had ideas for an Aldorn, but I haven't found a figure I like for him, nor taken the time to really figure out what I want to do with him. He is Elven, but was shunned by the other Elves because he sought his own magical research, and the pursuit of knowledge and power more than he cared for his fellow elves. The people (also elves) of the village he watched over, slowly grew on him, and he truly cared for them by the time the Necromancer came to kill him. Their deaths caused him to use all manor of unstable magic from his research as he lashed out against the Necromancer. Though he did destroy the necromancer, it was not without a cost. He would have died sooner after, were it not for Vydar intervening, and saving him.
Elf
Quote:
NAME = FAYLIA LYSARIS
GENERAL = ULLAR
PLANET = FAYLUND
SPECIES = ELF
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE
CLASS = ARCHER
PERSONALITY = PRECISE
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

4 LIFE
5 MOVE
8 RANGE
4 ATTACK
2 DEFENSE
50 - 80 POINTS

Elven Attack Bonding:
After revealing an order marker on, and taking a turn with a common elf squad, if you attacked on that turn, you may immediately take a turn with Faylia Lysaris. During this turn, Faylia Lysaris cannot move.

Theme/explanation: The reason Faylia has reverse bonding is because of Frenzy. You can only activate her on the turn that you reveal the order marker. If you frenzy, then she can't be activated. You could still roll for it, but if you do Frenzy, then you give up the ability to bond with Faylia. I have a figure picked out, and might consider workshop submission soon.

The figure used is called "Cazi Alphelandra #6"
Spoiler Alert!
Fillers
Quote:
NAME = WILLIAM GARMUND
GENERAL = JANDAR
PLANET = EARTH
SPECIES = HUMAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE
CLASS = KNIGHT
PERSONALITY = COURAGEOUS
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

1 LIFE
5 MOVE
1 RANGE
1 ATTACK
4 DEFENSE
10 - 20 POINTS

Selfless Sacrifice:
If a small or medium friendly Human hero figure within 3 clear sight spaces of William Garmund whose base is no more than 2 levels higher or lower than that of William Garmund would receive enough wounds to be destroyed by an opponent's normal attack, you may destroy William Garmund to ignore any wounds that would be inflicted by the attack. If you do, place the defending figure on the space previously occupied by William Garmund. Figures moved by Selfless Sacrifice never receive any leaving engagement attacks.

March Onward:
Anytime you move a Unique Human Hero who was within 6 clear sight spaces of William Garmund before moving, you may move William Garmund up to 4 spaces.

Honorable Defense:
When defending against an attack from a figure who fallows Utgar, or Valkrill, William Garmund rolls 2 additional defense dice.

Theme/explanation: An antithesis of Isamu. The exact kind of Valiant hero Jandar would want. A man willing to lay down his life for the greater good. I would like him to be 10 points, but he might be a little better than that. I don't want him more than 20, and will nerf him into the ground to keep him under that point. I had a figure picked out, but quantity has dwindled. When I find a new figure, I might consider submitting to the workshop.

This section was going to be all 10 - 20 point fillers. I have had more ideas for 10 - 20 point fillers, none are really that great aside from this one. Hotaru was originally a 10 point filler, but feedback told me that he would be more interesting with multiple lives, and a higher cost.
These designs represent days of designing, and reworking. Please take that into consideration when you comment. All feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by Leaf_It; May 18th, 2018 at 04:57 PM. Reason: typos, rewording explanations. Renamed "Tomoe" to "Reina"
Old May 10th, 2018, 09:59 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Could you please include the figures (and pictures of them) you will be using for these? It'll be difficult to give feedback without a visual.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old May 10th, 2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Could you please include the figures (and pictures of them) you will be using for these? It'll be difficult to give feedback without a visual.
Not all of them have figures, due to lack of quantity with the original figures I was intending to use. Give me a bit, and I'll edit photos into the post for the ones that I have figures for.
Old May 10th, 2018, 10:54 PM

Took me a little longer than I thought it would, but I have added images of all the figures.

(kind of wish I could ping this thread for everyone without double posting...)
Old May 10th, 2018, 10:56 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I like this latest batch leaf it. The evil drow sorcerer and cursed blade ninja are some of my favs.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 12th, 2018, 03:37 AM

The Strange Traveler has disabled reputation
Re: Leaf_It's customs. [UPDATED: 5.10.18]

[deleted]

Last edited by The Strange Traveler; September 11th, 2021 at 01:49 AM.
Old May 12th, 2018, 11:50 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

These are some really interesting customs, @Leaf_It ! Two intrigued me the most, though, so I wanted to share my initial thoughts:

Quote:
NAME = VIERNA
GENERAL = UTGAR
PLANET = TORIL
SPECIES = DROW
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = SORCERER
PERSONALITY = INDULGENT
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

4 LIFE
5 MOVE
1 RANGE
3 ATTACK
4 DEFENSE
70 - 110 POINTS (Through several iterations, the price has been hard to nail down)

Shroud of Darkness
All friendly figures within 4 line of sight spaces of Vierna, are considered to be on a Shadow space when defending from an attack.

Drow Soul Shield
If Vierna would receive one or more wounds from a normal attack by an opponent's figure, you may choose to destroy a Drow figure you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Vierna. If you do, ignore all damage that would be inflicted by the attack.
I like this concept, but I fear that it may be far too powerful. It's a great buff to the Drow, but that's a sizable aura range that can easily combo with many other defensive buffs. Not only does it add 6 to the roll for Hide in Darkness, but it also brings them up to 3 Defense (my apologies if I've misremembered the stats), which makes them very difficult to kill.

Normally such a strong cheerleader can be dealt with via a quick assassination, though, but Vierna can't unless the opponent has a good special attack (and doesn't get bogged down by a Drow squad after the first attack). I'd be okay with her strong boosts to the Drow if it weren't for the fact that she's essentially unkillable while Drow remain. I'd probably suggest adding a clause like non-adjacent there somewhere, but to be fair, this is entirely theoryscape.

Quote:
NAME = WILLIAM GARMUND
GENERAL = JANDAR
PLANET = EARTH
SPECIES = HUMAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE
CLASS = KNIGHT
PERSONALITY = COURAGEOUS
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

1 LIFE
5 MOVE
1 RANGE
1 ATTACK
4 DEFENSE
10 - 20 POINTS

Selfless Sacrifice:
If a small or medium friendly Human hero figure within 3 clear sight spaces of William Garmund whose base is no more than 2 levels higher or lower than that of William Garmund would receive enough wounds to be destroyed by an opponent's normal attack, you may destroy William Garmund to ignore any wounds that would be inflicted by the attack. If you do, place the defending figure on the space previously occupied by William Garmund. Figures moved by Selfless Sacrifice never receive any leaving engagement attacks.

March Onward:
Anytime you move a Unique Human Hero who was within 6 clear sight spaces of William Garmund before moving, you may move William Garmund up to 4 spaces.

Honorable Defense:
When defending against an attack from a figure who fallows Utgar, or Valkrill, William Garmund rolls 2 additional defense dice.
I really like this idea. Minor nitpick, but is courageous a pre-existing personality? I don't recognize it, but you could probably get a similar effect with Fearless.

Also, I could see slight problems with power levels (nothing gamebreaking, but it could be concerning to the SoV) since he works with any friendly Human and March Onward negates much of the trouble in positioning him. I almost feel like he needs to be 20 points, even though I personally would love some more Isamu competition when drafting. At 10 points, I could see him being an auto-include in many Unique Human builds, although if I understand correctly, he doesn't work with the Ebon Armor.

Upon closer reading, I saw that he only works with Heroes and not Squads. This saddens me a little bit, but that's only because I'd love to have some extra help for the Samurai and it'll still be pretty difficult to keep him within range of them without Marching Orders... But I can see why you made the distinction.
Old May 13th, 2018, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Strange Traveler View Post
Leaf_It, thanks for posting these customs for us to see. Here’s my feedback on each figure:
(WARNING: EXTREME THEORYSCAPE AHEAD)

Hotaru: I like this one. The theme of Cursed Weapon and Blood Thirst are perfect for a Valkrill ninja. However, I suggest a change: change his attack to 2. As it is, with 3 attack, Cursed Weapons (positive or negative effect combined) will only happen ¼ attacks on average, let alone Blood Thirst. When these powers are the core of his theme, I think the chance should be higher. If his attack is only 2, it is a ½ chance of at least something with his powers happening on each attack, and I think it will be more fun that way. Also, I think the name of the power should be Cursed Weapons, plural, if the figure that is used has multiple weapons visible on them.
Cursed Weapons is a good suggestion. The reason it isn't 2, is that having a lower attack not only increases the likelihood of getting multiple attacks, but it also increases the likelihood of rolling all blanks. At 2 attack I felt that he killed himself too often. Getting Multiple attacks is cool, but in order to keep him from dying to quickly it has to be something that doesn't happen too often.
Quote:
Tomoe: For starters, I think that this unit should have a different name, because there is already a Tomoe Gozen from C3V and I think they should be differentiated more, but I don’t have any ideas on what the name should be. I think the name of the special attack should be Arbalest Special Attack. I think that Reposition should have the “may not end movement next to an enemy figure” clause that the other ninjas with similar powers have. The other statistics and the point range seem fine.
I don't know how I forgot about Tomoe Gozen, but she completely slipped my mind when I named this ninja. I actually hadn't come up with a name for this design before making this post, so I just looked up Japanese names and Tomoe caught my eye. Since Reposition is a weaker version of Vanish, and you still need to roll defense dice normally to do it, I felt that it would be okay allow her to end adjacent to enemy figures. She isn't disappearing, she's just moving around, trying to be a harder target, or get to a better position in the fight. That better position might be next to an enemy.
Quote:
Vierna: In my opinion, this unit is a good drow cheerleader. Shroud of Darkness is obviously helpful as a defense buff, but the way it does it means that drow get a boost for Hide in Darkness too, and I like that a lot. It’s very creative too. However, Drow Soul Shield means that Vierna also maintains the “unfriendly cheerleader” idea for drow that I have seen discussed before. I wouldn’t be worried about her replacing Raelin, but I would be worried about her supplementing Raelin too well. If she turns out to be on the lower end of your range, 70 or 80 points, then you can draft her and Raelin for a very affordable price of 150-160 points. Two cheerleaders that combine for +3 defense on nearby units and that buff each other too seems a bit too powerful, and I think that it would be frustrating to play against too. However, Vierna might end up being higher in points, and I think it would be less of a problem in that case. If it turns out that you need to do something to raise her point value so that she isn’t so affordable with Raelin, I guess you could add another power of some kind.
It is very unlikely that she will end in the lower range of my point prediction. I've played her in those ranges with earlier variations, and unless you have really bad luck, she always provides a better value than that. Currently I'm pricing her at 100.
Quote:
Dalmar of Ironstone: I guess this guy is a defender. He’s not my favorite of these customs, but he’s alright. However, I don’t think that Dalmar is going to be very good at the role you say you intend him to fill (engaging the big bad on the enemy team). 3 life, 5 defense, and no defensive powers to help himself is probably not going to last long against the likes of the dragons or Sergeant Drake. However, I think he still has a use: a blocker against weaker heroes and squads, with 3 or 4 attack. His defense should hold up much better against that, and the -2 attack hurts those attack numbers enough that attacking the common dwarves around him won’t be an option (whereas a big bad might decide that ignoring Dalmar and attacking a common dwarf with 3 or 4 dice is worth it). Still all of that is theoryscape, so I don’t really know. Lastly, I like The Battle Is Within Sight quite a bit.
I've debated giving him Tough, or some other form of auto shield, but he already has 3 abilities due to Climb, and The Battle is Within Sight, and I don't want to remove those. I might boost his life to 4 or 5. I don't think I can justify a defense higher than 5.
Quote:
Great Axes of Ironstone: These guys don’t have any really fancy tricks, just a bit of a speed boost and a die advantage. They could fit in or out of a dwarf army because they aren’t too dependent on synergy with fellow dwarves. I’m not quite sure what the probability for Tenacity is, but it seems to be quite good. I guess that they are close to 80 points in your point range, maybe more. My main question is: Why a unique squad? I don’t see any particular reason why they should be, so could you explain your reasoning?
They are Unique because of the cost of the set they come in. I spoke with Scytale about the price, and was told that they were just too much for commons. The set costs about $18, and is produced in the UK, so you would have to pay shipping as well, which is about $8 for the cheapest option.
Quote:
Watchers of Gilmuund: These guys are interesting. I’m not sure quite what to make of them. I guess they are defenders, because they don’t have much in the way of offense. I do like them though; the theme of the different powers really comes together for me. Making Blood Activation work on all gargoyles and not just the Watchers themselves…probably doesn’t mean anything, because I doubt there will be more gargoyles in the future. The only suggestion that comes to mind is making their attack 3 if it proves too difficult to get Blood Activation to work.
I submitted these guys to the pre-SoV workshop and was told that the figures are too small to justify a very high attack. I personally think that an evil stone statue would be able to do at least 1 more attack than some ants. I mean, their arms have to be pretty heavy considering they are made of stone, so imagine being hit by sharp claws made of stone with the weight of the arm behind it...
Quote:
Specters of Aldorn: I like the idea of non-evil, Vydar ghosts, and the bio is neat. I don’t believe any other common squads have Phantom Walk, so that could be interesting. However, I don’t like Deathly Touch very much. It is trivially easy to do, except for when the unit you want to attack is far away from any Specters of Aldorn (or over rough ground). Often, I think it would just result in a little step-forward step-back movement dance into and out of the target figure’s space to reduce their defense. Basically, most of the time it might as well just read “Figures defending against Specters of Aldorn role one less die” and that isn’t very interesting. Also, it (along with the rest of the information on the card itself) doesn’t convey the idea of a non-evil ghost very well. The bio is the only thing that does. I’m not sure what could replace it that would be more interesting and more representative of the intended theme. Perhaps something a little more protecting-oriented, like the Specters are trying to defend the living? Again, I’m not sure.
If I changed the ability to simply lower the defense of anything I attacked, they would just be weaker Death knights. It might be easy to do, but I think it fits thematically. If you see a ghost pass through your body, it's going to freak you out, and you're not going to be defending as well as you normally would. I don't really feel that the Specters are trying to be protectors. They were raised from the dead by a necromancer to try and use them to kill a wizard. The necromancer isn't going to give them protective abilities, he's going to try and make them killers. So they are choosing to use their ghostly killing powers for good, rather than evil.
Quote:
Faylia Lysaris: A rather simple unit compared to the others, but that is alright. I think that the name of the power needs to change. The way it works seems fine, but there are already units with Attack Bonding of some kind (Zaeus, Gorrilitroopers) and the power on the card is not how Attack Bonding works. Maybe Reverse Elven Attack Bonding? Or something else, like Supporting Fire?
I like Supporting Fire, I might use that.
Quote:
William Garmuund: I really, really like this hero! He is a filler unit, but he seems like he could accomplish something fun and interesting in almost every game. Your opponent would try to figure out a way to bring him down first, get him out of range of the hero, or land the killing blow on nearby heroes with a special attack, while you would try to hide him around corners for cover but still in view of the hero and try to make sure he kept up. I like friendly synergies too, for team games. If you want to keep him under 20 and he turns out to cost more, you could remove Honorable Defense. I see why it’s there, but it seems to me to be the least important part of the design. Other minor things: Why courageous and not valiant? I don’t think it’s a personality seen before (correct me if I’m wrong), and I don’t think William would be overpowered with the 4th Mass. How about 4 move, not 5? It matches his movement power, and it does a small amount to keep his point down (though he probably won’t move much without his power anyway).
He's not Valiant because the 4th mass don't need any help. Sure he doesn't help them directly, but he helps Samuel Brown, Captain America, Sgt. Drake, etc, which all can be in a 4th mass army. To put it simply, they don't need the help, and allowing him to work with them, would make the design needlessly harder to get through the SoV. It was easier to avoid that altogether.
Quote:
I hope you found something useful and/or entertaining out of all that rambling.
I did, and Thank you for making your first post in my customs Thread, your feedback is appreciated. Welcome to the forums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
These are some really interesting customs, @Leaf_It ! Two intrigued me the most, though, so I wanted to share my initial thoughts:

Quote:
NAME = VIERNA
GENERAL = UTGAR
PLANET = TORIL
SPECIES = DROW
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = SORCERER
PERSONALITY = INDULGENT
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

4 LIFE
5 MOVE
1 RANGE
3 ATTACK
4 DEFENSE

Shroud of Darkness

Drow Soul Shield
I like this concept, but I fear that it may be far too powerful. It's a great buff to the Drow, but that's a sizable aura range that can easily combo with many other defensive buffs. Not only does it add 6 to the roll for Hide in Darkness, but it also brings them up to 3 Defense (my apologies if I've misremembered the stats), which makes them very difficult to kill.

Normally such a strong cheerleader can be dealt with via a quick assassination, though, but Vierna can't unless the opponent has a good special attack (and doesn't get bogged down by a Drow squad after the first attack). I'd be okay with her strong boosts to the Drow if it weren't for the fact that she's essentially unkillable while Drow remain. I'd probably suggest adding a clause like non-adjacent there somewhere, but to be fair, this is entirely theoryscape.
It actually brings them to 4 defense. You are right, it buffs the Drow quite a bit. It puts them near Isamu Status with only needing a 10 or higher to ignore all damage. You don't realize it at first, but she actually comes with a built in weakness to the biggest buff she provides, and that weakness is actually the Soul Shield ability. Attack her, and you'll start killing off Drow without needing to worry about Hide in Darkness. None of the Drow with Hide in Darkness have a ranged attack, so if you have range, you can just target her. You can also just stay more than 5 spaces away from her. Like I pointed out, all the Drow with Hide in Darkness are melee, so if they want to attack you, either you have to come to them, or they have to come to you. It's been surprisingly challenging to keep a Drow army close to her and still get any kills. The enemy just stays their distance, or uses special attacks to ignore the HiD. She's a lot harder to position by comparison to Realin, because she doesn't have flying, and has one less move on top of that. She seems a bit stronger on paper than she is in actual gameplay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Quote:
NAME = WILLIAM GARMUND
GENERAL = JANDAR
PLANET = EARTH
SPECIES = HUMAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE
CLASS = KNIGHT
PERSONALITY = COURAGEOUS
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

1 LIFE
5 MOVE
1 RANGE
1 ATTACK
4 DEFENSE
10 - 20 POINTS

Selfless Sacrifice:

March Onward:

Honorable Defense:
I really like this idea. Minor nitpick, but is courageous a pre-existing personality? I don't recognize it, but you could probably get a similar effect with Fearless.

Also, I could see slight problems with power levels (nothing gamebreaking, but it could be concerning to the SoV) since he works with any friendly Human and March Onward negates much of the trouble in positioning him. I almost feel like he needs to be 20 points, even though I personally would love some more Isamu competition when drafting. At 10 points, I could see him being an auto-include in many Unique Human builds, although if I understand correctly, he doesn't work with the Ebon Armor.

Upon closer reading, I saw that he only works with Heroes and not Squads. This saddens me a little bit, but that's only because I'd love to have some extra help for the Samurai and it'll still be pretty difficult to keep him within range of them without Marching Orders... But I can see why you made the distinction.
Fearless could work. I'm not too attached to Courageous, I just thought it fit the theme, and I was trying to avoid synergies to help keep the price down. From feedback I received, I was told that most games he would just never be moved if he didn't have some way of activating without an order marker. Blocking a single attack is nice, but he wouldn't be worth the order markers to get into position. I do want him to compete with Isamu for the filler slot, and so I need him to fit into a lot of armies. Not all armies, but a good amount. Limiting him to Humans prevents him from affecting Dragons and Realin, but still keeps him useful enough to compete with Isamu in some armies.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards