Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old January 5th, 2024, 09:36 AM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Tournament Map Feedback Thread

End of 2023 map reports :

Scapecon East 2023 maps:

Bad Moon Rising @GameBear
Well I was starting to feel the level 3 plateaus were too strong, and in a Arrows Gruts vs knights Machup @Shurrig went to absolutely destroy my pod by brute force.
Very cool game, I think the map plays significantly better irl than online with battlements LoS blocking being a big feature of it. Not much more to say one of the best old maps for sure.

Remains of Clionesia:
Had 2 great games on Remains (2wins), making it a grand total of 4 tournament games I played this year on Remains and all of them were excellent. I can understand the slow devellopment being annoying but I feel this is a feature of the map more than a downside.

Platypus
Very good game on Platypus lost with Arrows Gruts vs Dwarves and Mezzos, my Ice Troll almost turned it around at the end healing 2 per turn, lots of interesting plays all around the map. A classic staple to me!

Wyrmwalk:
Another 2 great games on Wyrmwalk (1 win 1 loss), I should note that the map is long to cross and the level 4 doubles right outside the startzones are excellent spots for dragons, but besides this 2 very small downsides I think the map is excellent, very dynamic, tons of interestings choices.

Forest Fire:
My two games on Forest Fire (2 wins) were goodish, but in both of them, only 1 half of the map was used, I dunno I feel like the glyphs are too far from each other.
The map definitely pulls left for podding imo, with the ruin ruining a bit the right side podding abilities. But the big thing being the left trees acting has a wall with a vision hole in between actively helping pods, the trees are more effective at hiding pods (you can hide your Raelin quite well by hugging the trees) than hiding figures in the center. The solid lava also surprisingly helps podding and also kinda act as a wall making init switch plays very difficult.
The road isn't that useful it is very effective to go from left to right or right to left but you almost never wanna do that in an actual game also there is no interesting "end of road" spots and the pods can dodge road pretty easily. The middle is often left desertic.
I think that it is a decent map but that could see some upgrades also it's a map where which SZ you end up on is very important, depending on glyphs and because big tree =/= 2 trees.

Odin Wept: @Typhon2222
An excellent game on it (win), the 2 sides of the glacier were used to get to opponnent making the whole map plays very dynamically, litterally all the map saw figures.

Highways & Dieways:
2 games on it (1 win 1 loss) which started similar with 1 player podding in front of the river, but who ended up very different. Playing around the LoS blockers for the attacking player is very important. Super cool map with lots of choices on it, the classic.

Frostmire: @Flash_19
Great game on Frostmire, this map really shines in "multiples om cards" formats. I stll think the area in front of the startzone could be sightly tweaked to reduce podding abilities.

Fulcrum:
Only one game played on Fulcrum (win), I think the game was decent even tho having 9 range Kravs and Raelin was quite brutal for OEAO. I didn't play well (a lot of small positionning mistakes), I just stayed in my bottom right corner and won handily. Even with a Krav dying on a 2v6 from a cutter, really a machup check.
Heard a lot of talks about Fulcrum from players most of which I agree, see WoS thread.

Invasion:
Two games on invasion over the week-end (1 win 1 loss), one was excellent, one of the most interesting game I got to play the weekend, one very "meh" and quite frustrating but it was more due to me playing the map and machup wrong than on the map.
While Invasion has some flaws I still think it's one of the most original interesting and dynamic map.

Percolator: @Ulysses
Only one small 360pts game (win) on Percolator, which was a 95/5 kinda machup in my favor, map was still excellent. Whole map was used, lots of micro-positioning choices. Only heard good things about it over the week-end, very happy it is in the WoS, great induction.

OST5 maps:

The Broken Skyline Redux: @Sir Heroscape
Looking at it I would be afraid the layout of the map would make it very good for range (and hance very good for my army) but actually the road paving made an excellent job at making the Hydras go deep in the position. Excellent remake in my opinion, captures the feel of the original very well, quite similar to mine just a bit shorter nd without the "half ladders".

Sirocold: @Shurrig
So I gotta say I'm a big hater of the original lol, I think it's in my top 10 worst maps I played in tournaments.
My game on Siroccold was good but I really could see this map turning in 2-hills hell in some more classic formats, like so many of my games on the original, so I don't think it's a great map for competitive.
That's said even without Jungle I still think this is better for melee than the original because the layout of hills are better (more "surface area" for melee to attack in).
Valda was a great choice by Megasilver to make this map better, Wannok should be a BIG NO-NO on this map tho, imo glyphs should be Valda, Dagmar, Zawit, stuff help you move and make plays to attack a camping ennemy.

CCL finals maps:

Stygian Rift @Typhon2222
Another 2 games on Stygian Rift, and great games as always, best map evuuur.

Yngwild Pass @Sheep
2 games on Yngwild pass, one was a classic Yngwild pass game very cool lots of action everywhere, in the second one Sir Heroscape turted in the top left corner and used the crack in the glacier to let Raelin in the SZ and Q10 on the other side of the glacier, which is very strong setup. Definitely an unseen flaw of the map to me.

OHS54 map:
Feverstone Keep @Flash_19
Was pleasantly surprised by this map, great great map with plays everywhere on the map. Deserve to see more play!

Classic Scape league (random draft) maps:
Subduction @Ulysses
Honestly sightly disapointed by this one I thought it had more asymmetry. It's quite hard to navigate on the sides which is kinda a feature but makes range only go on sides and kinda camp in them, I think the map would gain a lot of value if the road lead a bit more to the sides.

Blackfoot @Ulysses
This map is smaller than what I thought it was, I also think it's sightly too range friendly with the road being hard to use effectively, and with the hills making the map vquite snowbally, sightly disapointed.

NightFall @Typhon2222
Great map even tho I lost on it, which is a hard feat to complete well done Typhon!

July @BiggaBullfrog
EXCELLENT simple RotV+VW map, the layouts of the solid lava heights super original and interesting!! Loved it!

OHS55 maps
Vulcan Ridge @Chris Perkins
Good map but a bit too range friendly for my taste, to many "speed bumps" and close heights for range to take advantage of (even tho I lost a melee vs range machup on it LOL).

Guts @Shurrig
The center is good but the sides saw no play in the game I played and also in several games I watched, alos I can see the level 2 swamp "line" next to the SZ being a problem.

Old January 5th, 2024, 12:08 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you enjoyed the "classic" Skyline. That was literally my first video on my YouTube channel was playing on that original map...oh how the time has passed...

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old January 14th, 2024, 12:49 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quick Review

Just wanted to say that while playing Betelgeuse. I'm not sure if I played on this one before, it feels like I might've played on it during a Sir H tournament I'm not sure. It does feel like a map that's going to be very good for any unit with blockers and high defense screens and I'm not sure the road or shadow center helps to mitigate that. The lava 2 hexes near the start zone don't feel like they're doing much to impact gameplay. But really my biggest complaint is putting glyphs on shadow. This makes it very easy to hold a strong glyph if you can get to it first. Not super great at this map review thing but I do think those factors make the map particularly good for anything that wants to kind of durdle around with a strong screen.

~Dysole, putting this down before she forgets again for the third time
Old January 16th, 2024, 02:09 PM

ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Lincoln Seasonal IV concluded this past Sunday, and I got to play on four of the six maps setup that were requested by the mapmakers (unfortunately due to terrible weather we did not have enough players to warrant setting up all the maps requested to see play).

The maps I played on, and my thoughts on them:
Lousiana Hot Swamp by @Dunedain
I placed the move glyph and the Unique Attack glyph on this map when setting up. But despite having the move glyph and road, movement through the center didn't feel as smooth or as fast as I wanted thanks to the "bumps" in the road. I felt like the LoS blockers are done quite nicely, but I ran into some real trouble with my opponent's 10th setting up on the level 2 7-hex by their SZ, and pushing a few onto the safe level 3. One thing I think might prevent this turning into such a defensive stronghold, especially with Raelin, is to actually switch the level three lava on the edges back and push the sand to the middle. That way there is no immediate safe level 3 perches by your SZ, and I think they'd be much more contestable from both sides.

Compact by @superfrog
1x RotV maps feel nice for a TD who has so far provided the entirety of the terrain for enough maps to support the tournaments. The obvious comparison is Origin, and at first glance they feel similar. But Compact uses the edges of the map much better in my opinion, so that all hexes feel useful. Movement through the center is a little quicker, and movement through the edges is a little slower. I put Wannok and Dagmar on this map which drew attention to both sides. I also did not add TGs, which may affect how the map played. With only one game I don't have enough data to suggest minute changes. I do, however, have a bold request as a TD. 1x RotV maps feel hyper-competitive to me, and in that sense I generally prefer pure symmetry in some form. I would like to see 2 versions of this map. One with the real RotV terrain constraints, and one that has a purely symmetrical center and identical ruins. Typically as a TD I put identical ruins to smooth out sort of small advantage the larger ruin might provide, but because the center was not symmetrical I stuck with the suggested ruins. It's a change that matters probably 1 in 50 games, but a "Compact - Tournament Version" is something I would like to see, along with any 1x RotV that uses mismatched ruins.

Hawthorne's Edge by @Sheep
I liked this map, despite this being my only loss throughout the tournament. The height feels like a worthwhile investment while the road provides tons of pathing flexibility that were fully explored in my game. I do worry about the glyphs. The level 3 7-hex by each player's SZs feels like it would be incredibly easy for a ranged squad to keep an opponent's figures away from one glyph, should it be useful for them. The other side is also pretty easy for ranged squads to shoot down with impunity, and despite the glyphs on the map being fairly useful (Ulaniva with Migol is devastating), after my opponent lost two shades in attempt to hold it, we abandoned the glyphs all together. Unfortunately, I don't have any constructive feedback for how to improve that, but I'm not altogether sure it would be a problem, just a worry. Otherwise, well done.

Stechavan by @Shurrig
This was my second game on this map (after the update), the first one being online against Shurrig himself. With Wannok and Dagmar on the map both were hotspots. This map was streamed on my YouTube channel, and although the video connection wasn't great, there is a lot of gameplay on there. Against a weaker army I was able to control the roads quite effectively, and snowball from there. Lava maps are usually very dynamic and Stechavan provides, and with my limited games I don't have any feedback, but hopefully the author can glean useful information from the stream.
Old January 16th, 2024, 05:29 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Interesting thought about Compact. I do have a second version coming soon that makes the edges slightly more accessible.

For any map that is asymmetrical to accommodate ruins/different blockers, etc. I think TDs should always feel free to copy one side twice if they have the terrain available.
Old January 17th, 2024, 08:59 AM

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

OHS55 maps

Desolation: @Flash_19
First time I played on this map, and yes it seems like a great map the startzones and area in front of startzones are super well made and make Raelin a bit less effective, you can go out and play the map or camp in sz or a mix of both, the choice is not obvious. I really liked all the possibilities this map offer.
And NO HEX SHAPE!!!

Alta: @Flash_19
First time I played on this map aswell, extremly classic Flash map lol, checks all the clichés hahaha, Battlefield 23, road and Mavel edition lol. I won on it so great great map.

OST 6/Hexicon II maps:

Bayou Bend @RainyDays
Already gave my thoughts on discord, I'll reitirate and summarize, I think the horshoe shape had potential, love the Wanok very far from the startzones and on level 2 also love that both glyphs are very far from each other.
I think map has potential but was too cloggy for my taste in almost all part of the map really, swamp being very hard to navigate into, road being 1 hex wide andthe big obstacle in fornt of both startzones extremly clog those area to the point it was funny in my game.

Ruined City @Leaf_It
Cool map, it's a quite big map and all the map was used which is a great point, the pillars were effective at blocking LoS and cutting the map in different zones.
My only complain is that the center is weird to play esp for melee figures with the 1 hex wide road being surrounded by 2 level 3 areas, I guess it's a feature of the map but I dunno I'm not a fan of it I preferred to go by the sides in my melee vs range machup.
All in one I won on it so it's a great map.

Gem @Cleon
I liked this map, even tho it's definitely range friendly, it's not to the point where it's problematic, also a bit cloggy but same not to the point where it's problematic.
All in one I liked this map very very orignal with the level 2 plateaus cut horiszontally by the big obstacles, and completely playable, I think it's hard to do better with just those sets.
Oh and I won on it, so great map.

Old January 26th, 2024, 09:32 PM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Hey all, catching up on map feedback here. Here are my reviews of all the maps I've played on in tournament over the past couple months or so (not including OST, waiting for that season to wrap up before posting).

OHS S55 Delta Control Points (Delta)
Spoiler Alert!

MARS D.C. Winter Classic
Spoiler Alert!

Classic League XI- Random Draft (Delta)
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Shurrig; January 29th, 2024 at 11:43 PM.
Old January 31st, 2024, 10:54 AM

Classic Scape league (random draft) maps:

Betelguese: @Sir Heroscape
Another great fun game on this map, I think this map is perfect for janky formats like random draft. I kinda agree with other who said it's was kinda hard to move horizontally and that it is range and fly friendly, but I still think it's a great great map. I wouldn't change anything I think change to enhance the horizontal movement would be a hit on the originality and gamplay of the map. We just have to agree this is arange friendly map and that's allright.

Receding Waters @GameBear
I dunno how to feel about this map, one way there was action all over the map and interesting choices, and one way I felt movements were kinda clunky, but which is interesting to vitually increase the size of the map and kinda needed for such a small map.
So all in one not a bad map I just feel range have a bit too much of good time on this map.
Oh and I got Zelrig which felt a bit like cheating with multiples Z-Bomb possibilities turn 1. Kevindola tried his best to deny it but it just wasn't possible.

OST6 / Hexicon II maps:

Guts @Shurrig Good game on Guts and THE SIDES WERE USED (a bit), due to glyphs being very strong in the machup, but the solid lavale rocks on the sides still weren't point of interest. I like this map, it's basically is a modern If you Can't take the Heat, looking forward the new version.

Jank Tank special event / Hexicon II maps:

Gem: @Cleon Another good game on Gem, we played on the new version which swapped on rock outcorp and on single water hex to better match the symmetry with Hive. Nifl glyph (vision reduced to 3 spaces) was super interesting in the machup. Game was much more "aggressive" than last one we really pushed into each other cause it was melee vs range (Nsc vs Vmechs) and then the roles were swapped I had to play melee into range (Anubians vs Kravs) close to endgame.
I'll just double down and say this is a great map, I wouldn't change anything about it, very original and very playable.

Bayou Bend @RainyDays
I think new version is definitely better even if it does lose a bit of it's originality.
Not sure that there is anything interesting to note in my game tho as it was airborne domination into kravs domination into Vmechs domination. I treally came down only to ranged unit but it was fault of format and machup rather than the map.

Thermal Shock by @Vydar_XLIII
Well I'll just double down and say this is a great and original map, I wouldn't change anything about it. Thank you Vydar for this awesome job! Some peole seem to think it is very range friendly, I don't think so.

Pigeonhole by @Sheep
EXCELLENT 1xBFtU map, really does perfectly what a 1xBFtU map needs to do, really stellar map with that few sets.
Action superfast packed, interesting micro positionning choices, macro positionning choices, great!
I honestly thought it wasn't possible to make a map that good with only 1xBfTu and 24 spaces startzones! Congratulations!!

Thank you all for your maps!

Old February 10th, 2024, 02:59 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foudzing View Post

Pigeonhole by @Sheep
EXCELLENT 1xBFtU map, really does perfectly what a 1xBFtU map needs to do, really stellar map with that few sets.
Action superfast packed, interesting micro positionning choices, macro positionning choices, great!
I honestly thought it wasn't possible to make a map that good with only 1xBfTu and 24 spaces startzones! Congratulations!!
I agree whole-heartedl! Congrats, @Sheep , on a stellar 1x BftU map.
Until you created Pigeonhole, I thought my own Anvil was the best single BftU map out there. But I think your Pigeonhole has replaced it.
Old February 11th, 2024, 12:32 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Quote:

Pigeonhole by @Sheep
Until you created Pigeonhole, I thought my own Anvil was the best single BftU map out there. But I think your Pigeonhole has replaced it.
Extremely kind words from both of you!

Maybe you noticed already Typhon, but Pigeonhole's startzone is a small adjustment from Anvil's. Thank you for your pioneer work and passion for 1x BftU!
Old February 11th, 2024, 11:25 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Quote:

Pigeonhole by @Sheep
Extremely kind words from both of you!

Maybe you noticed already Typhon, but Pigeonhole's startzone is a small adjustment from Anvil's. Thank you for your pioneer work and passion for 1x BftU!
I'll note this is with the treasure glyph version that you and I worked out.

I highly recommend that version!
Old February 12th, 2024, 06:04 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

S56 thoughts:

Alien Underbrush (Panopticon, mod. OEAO)
Was not a fan of this map. The level 3 height is too easily accessible and not easy enough to contest. 4/5 jungle-backed level 2 spaces are within 2 spaces of the SZ. It's a map that begs for turtling. Having the glyphs on level 0 was fine, even the jungle was pretty helpful there. The map also came off as too wide, the wings (level 2 triangles) hardly saw any play in the games I played/watched.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios