Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old September 4th, 2023, 08:14 AM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Tournament Map Feedback Thread

Flaxen Shard looks like Origin but with some jungle after watching some games on it I also think it's very good.

Old September 4th, 2023, 11:35 PM

Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurrig View Post
Spoiler Alert!
Thank you so much for the feedback Shurrig! As I'm sure you know as a fellow mapmaker, feedback, and especially critical map feedback, can be so valuable to gain perspective on a cartographic creation. You were not the only player to have problems with Sniper. It seems there's a good reason there are only 2 hexes worth of level 5 in all of WoS I think it's small and steep and, along with the addition of 4 treasure glyphs that were added for the tournament, probably didn't lead to the smoothest matchups for a cheesy event. It would probably take some pretty fundamental changes to fix it up, but I'm grateful to have your input when I take a look at revisions in the future. I'm very glad to hear that Flaxen Shard can redeem me a bit as well!
Thanks again for the feedback and I'd love to hear from anyone else who finds the time too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foudzing View Post
Flaxen Shard looks like Origin but with some jungle after watching some games on it I also think it's very good.
Merci!
Old September 5th, 2023, 12:33 PM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurrig View Post
Spoiler Alert!
Thank you so much for the feedback Shurrig! As I'm sure you know as a fellow mapmaker, feedback, and especially critical map feedback, can be so valuable to gain perspective on a cartographic creation. You were not the only player to have problems with Sniper. It seems there's a good reason there are only 2 hexes worth of level 5 in all of WoS I think it's small and steep and, along with the addition of 4 treasure glyphs that were added for the tournament, probably didn't lead to the smoothest matchups for a cheesy event. It would probably take some pretty fundamental changes to fix it up, but I'm grateful to have your input when I take a look at revisions in the future. I'm very glad to hear that Flaxen Shard can redeem me a bit as well!
Thanks again for the feedback and I'd love to hear from anyone else who finds the time too!
Absolutely! The 4 treasure glyphs certainly did not help the map’s case here, maybe I should’ve made some mention of that in my review. I’m looking forward to playing on more of your maps here soon!
Old September 5th, 2023, 04:40 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Running list of short impressions from OHS 53 (keep in mind I'm running un-Marcused Romans):

Ascension (Flash_19):
This is a big map. Really glad for Valda on it. Somehow despite being so big it also feels kinda chokey. Really have to think hard about how to play on this map, not easy for any army types.

Twisted Cistern (Ulysses):
Honestly kinda similar in feel to Ascension. This map plays big but there's lots of blockers so the pathing isn't easy. Had an interesting play in my game where my opponent sat MBS on the right side near the 3-run of castle walls and did some sniping blocked off by 2-deep Romans. My biggest immediate concern is movement across the middle. I actually think lowering the road to level 2 through the middle would be an improvement here.

July (BiggaBullfrog):
Really impressed with this map, definitely the top map with this terrain combo that I can think of. I made one mistake in converting this map to OHS that did negatively impact its gameplay (a level 2 rock hex is missing on each side), but other than that almost nothing stood out as problematic. I like how there's some safe level 3 to fire onto the lava level 3 as well as lava level 4 on the center edges. If Bigga was interested in making this a two-short-ruin map, a level 3 rock hex bridging the safe level 3s would be welcome.

Viney Pines (Shurrig):
This map is very long and narrow but the road makes it play a bit shorter and wider (because the road is the main pathing sideways and is not very straight). Overall this is a fine map but I thought the level 3s were too difficult to contest, and the level 2 7-hex off the the left is a nice pod spot that is also difficult to approach from the road. I also found moving over/past the center-ish level 2/3 formations more difficult that I would have liked.

Last edited by superfrog; September 14th, 2023 at 02:59 PM.
Old September 5th, 2023, 06:41 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

As the CCL Host, here are some thoughts on the maps after higher level play...based on my games on them.

Flaxen Shard
Really liked this map. I felt like it offered a lot of options. I especially like that it's not easy to camp if you're ranged...or rather the safest camping spot kinda felt like just immediately behind the ruin...but if that's where you're podding up, I feel like you're giving up so much everywhere else.

Breakthrough
It's my map, so it will be biased...but I have really enjoyed my games on this map. I think it offers good options for all army types.

Snipers at the Gates of Dawn
Having this map in the pool was a mistake. Some maps are great "fun" maps...but I played on this during the tourney...and the map definitely impacted the game results a lot. I think many could say the same for those that played on it.

Dry Peaks
It's my map, so it will be biased...but I have really enjoyed my games on this map. I think it offers good options for all army types. My only concern is it is fairly wide to traverse from side-to-side which is why I added Valda on the map...but I also added Lorja Ivor as a way to help against the additional movement. Preset glyphs are probably best here so that you don't have end game shenanigans with Wannok.

Apocalypse Now
It felt okay. I wasn't terribly impressed, nor terribly distressed by it. I didn't mind the center...though development to the "King of the Hill" spot is pretty quick...so faster armies will have a strong advantage there. Overall it was fine...but I think I'd need more games on it to determine a stronger opinion.

EDIT: Similar to SF...just to chime in, I agree with his assessment of Ascension and Twisted Cistern. If I had a choice to play on either of those maps in a competitive format going forward, I'd prefer not to. They're not horrible...but they're not the best either. I've played many a game on Ascension and feel like there are just aspects of that map that can be abused and other aspects where you feel like you're just fighting the map. Twisted Cistern I only had 1 game on, but early on it was evident the left hand side is a death trap for development, specifically with 4 move figures. It's also very difficult to traverse between sides, which makes any mobile or ranged units have a significant advantage for kiting.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old September 11th, 2023, 11:28 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Running list of short impressions from OHS 53 (keep in mind I'm running un-Marcused Romans):

[snip]

July:
Really impressed with this map, definitely the top map with this terrain combo that I can think of. I made one mistake in converting this map to OHS that did negatively impact its gameplay (a level 2 rock hex is missing on each side), but other than that almost nothing stood out as problematic. I like how there's some safe level 3 to fire onto the lava level 3 as well as lava level 4 on the center edges. If Bigga was interested in making this a two-short-ruin map, a level 3 rock hex bridging the safe level 3s would be welcome.
Added July.
Old September 14th, 2023, 03:06 PM
This is merely a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post

[snip]

Viney Pines (Shurrig):
This map is very long and narrow but the road makes it play a bit shorter and wider (because the road is the main pathing sideways and is not very straight). Overall this is a fine map but I thought the level 3s were too difficult to contest, and the level 2 7-hex off the the left is a nice pod spot that is also difficult to approach from the road. I also found moving over/past the center-ish level 2/3 formations more difficult that I would have liked.
Added Viney Pines.
Old September 14th, 2023, 09:45 PM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks for the feedback SF!
Old September 18th, 2023, 10:18 AM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I made a full write-up of the maps I played for the past year!
Guys thank you for your awesome maps, don't hesitate if you want to discuss further.

Full write-up (chronological):
Spoiler Alert!

For @Flash_19
Spoiler Alert!

For @superfrog
Spoiler Alert!

For @GameBear
Spoiler Alert!

For @Sheep
Spoiler Alert!

For @Typhon2222
Spoiler Alert!

For @Ulysses
Spoiler Alert!

For @Sir Heroscape
Spoiler Alert!

For @OEAO
Spoiler Alert!

For @RainyDays
Spoiler Alert!

For @Shurrig
Spoiler Alert!

For @BiggaBullfrog
Spoiler Alert!

Old September 18th, 2023, 11:42 AM
This is merely a joke.

Wow, thanks for writing all these up!
Old September 18th, 2023, 12:08 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Foudzing, what fantastic commentaries on so many maps!
Seriously, that's a huge service to our community.
Old September 18th, 2023, 01:39 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Great feedback! Glad people are using this thread more!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios