Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Old February 2nd, 2015, 01:43 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: HelmAverse Supers

Hm, the link was working for me but now it is not again. No big deal, I'll sort it out when I'm ready to post my 2.0 version in a new blog.

In the meantime, I just picked up some new ink for the printer and envision some games coming up now that the snow has been falling. I know @A3n is out of pocket for a bit but hopefully we can take a stab at cards for:

Scarlet Witch
and
Ultron

I've also restarted my edits to the cards I mentioned before. The reason for these changes is all about "fun factor". It seemed that these cards were never drafted in my HelmAverse games and we think it was primarily due to the direct link they had to each other. I like my synergies subtle because I don't want to be told who to team together. Of course it can be great when two partners truly play well together (I think I captured that with the FF, Batman and Robin, even Green Arrow and Black Canary) but I'd rather see complete mash ups work without losing any of the fun also. That's part of Heroscape.

When I redid these cards I had to laugh. Another great designer on here, @badgermaniac , once commented that the seemingly leadership-like power of "Avengers Assemble" was not thematic for Giant Man. He felt that it would be more fitting on Wasp. Although I had my playability reasons at the time, I now decided to go in the other direction so I hope he can chuckle with me.

Basically, Giant Man is a relatively lower cost bruiser who may need the help to move against fliers with range. Even though he takes giant steps, I don't want his individual movement to mimic super speed so getting a bonus from another affordable teammate makes him a little more competitive.

Wasp on the other hand was a low powered card who only helped Giant Man and ultimately hurt him after her destruction. She was never drafted even during the few games that Giant Man was. Therefore, she is now more of a lower cost card that can assist your team get into position if you put the order markers on her. She still may not be taken often but I do see more opportunity to use her as that final point filler.

LIFE: 6

EXTENDED REACH
If an opponent's figure is within 2 spaces of Giant Man, and its base is no more than 4 levels above Giant Man's height or 4 levels below Giant Man’s base, Giant Man may add 1 to his Range when attacking that figure.

GOLIATH
Opponent figures engaged with Giant Man never get height advantage.

PYM PARTICLE SHRINKING
Before rolling defense dice against a normal attack, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 9 or higher, count the number of the attacker’s rolled dice that did not show skulls and add that number of additional dice to Giant Man’s defense roll.

SUPERSTRENGTH

----------------------------------------------------

SMALL 2

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE
After revealing an Order Marker on this card, before taking a turn with Wasp, you may move up to 3 other friendly figures within 6 clear sight spaces of Wasp, 3 spaces each.

TRIPLE STING SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 1. Attack 2.
When attacking with Triple Sting Special Attack, Wasp may attack up to 2 additional times and may target the same figure or a different figure with each attack. If at least one skull is rolled during an attack, the defending figure rolls 1 less defense die and Wasp may move 1 space before choosing a figure for the next attack. Wasp does not take leaving engagement attacks when moving with Triple Sting Special Attack and cannot move after the last attack.

STEALTH FLYING
When counting spaces for Wasp’s movement, ignore elevations. Wasp may fly over water without stopping, pass over figures without becoming engaged, and fly over obstacles such as ruins. When Wasp starts to fly, if she is engaged she will not take any leaving engagement attacks.

Last edited by Matt Helm; February 2nd, 2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 10:56 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Helm View Post
The reason for these changes is all about "fun factor". It seemed that these cards were never drafted in my HelmAverse games and we think it was primarily due to the direct link they had to each other. I like my synergies subtle because I don't want to be told who to team together. Of course it can be great when two partners truly play well together (I think I captured that with the FF, Batman and Robin, even Green Arrow and Black Canary) but I'd rather see complete mash ups work without losing any of the fun also. That's part of Heroscape.
Well said. I agree that specific callouts like Cyprien/Sonya are best used sparingly in Heroscape; they work against the cross-faction mashups that make the game such a joy.

Quote:
When I redid these cards I had to laugh. Another great designer on here, @badgermaniac , once commented that the seemingly leadership-like power of "Avengers Assemble" was not thematic for Giant Man. He felt that it would be more fitting on Wasp.
I think badger was right; Wasp has more of a history as team leader than Hank Pym does. Good call taking his advice.
Old February 4th, 2015, 05:54 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Quote:
In the meantime, I just picked up some new ink for the printer and envision some games coming up now that the snow has been falling. I know @A3n is out of pocket for a bit but hopefully we can take a stab at cards for:

Scarlet Witch
and
Ultron
Sorry I forgot they were there. I should get to them this weekend (& the edits if they don't happen before).
Old February 6th, 2015, 12:10 AM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun

Yes! - Thanks for updating Giant Man and Wasp. My printer will start buzzing this weekend.
Old February 6th, 2015, 04:36 AM

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth
Re: HelmAverse Supers - Updated Giant Man and Wasp

Sorry I meant to post this morning that I had updated those cards. I should get to the new cards this weekend.
Old February 6th, 2015, 10:47 AM

Here you go...

Old February 7th, 2015, 07:00 PM
Captain Underpants

Oooooo, how did I miss this. Both Ultron and Scarlet Witch... and they both look unbelievable. The background choices are awesome and my kids are so excited to print them and play. A3n is a magician.

I hope you don't mind that the new flame under my rear has me cranking out some new designs as well as updates. There a a few X-men underway but before that, I have a DC villain inspired by one of my current favorite TV characters.
Old February 7th, 2015, 07:08 PM

Keep them coming & prod me if I forget them (I'm not forgetting because I think it's a chore, just that I don't have the time when I see them & then when I have the time it's just out of my mind & the CP).
Old February 9th, 2015, 06:46 PM
Captain Underpants

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
Keep them coming ...
Well, if you insist.

As a man addicted to Arrow on the CW, I cannot stand the thought of another HelmAverse battle beginning without the possibility of this guy jumping in. I sure hope I didn't make his survivability too great, but I do want him to feel like he is half arrogant archer and half sneaky ninja. A lot of my usual madness went into his stats and power choices so I hope he plays the way I think he will. Only some serious play testing will tell (our multiplayer games usually bring out the crazy situations that 2 player play testing sometimes doesn't).

---------------------------------------------------
MERLYN THE
DARK ARCHER

DC

HUMAN
UNIQUE HERO
ARCHER
CALCULATING
MEDIUM 5

LIFE: 4
MOVE: 5
RANGE: 8
ATTACK: 3
DEFENSE: 4

KILL SHOT
When attacking, if Merlyn rolls a skull on every die, the defending figure receives a wound for every skull, and cannot roll any defense dice.

ARROW DEFENSE STRIKE
When rolling defense dice against a normal attack from a non-adjacent figure within 8 clear sight spaces of Merlyn, if you roll any excess shields, the attacking figure receives one wound.

DISAPPEARING ASSASSIN 15
When Merlyn receives 1 or more wounds, before placing any wound markers on this card, roll the 20-sided die to disappear. If you roll a 15 or higher, ignore any wounds and immediately move Merlyn up to 4 spaces. When Merlyn disappears, he will not take any leaving engagement attacks. Merlyn can disappear only if he ends his disappearing move not adjacent to any enemy figures.

Last edited by Matt Helm; February 10th, 2015 at 11:59 PM.
Old February 9th, 2015, 07:38 PM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth
Re: HelmAverse Supers - Ultron and Scarlet Witch cards

Probably should have a may or must in there for Vanish. It's not super clear if it is mandatory or not, and you'd often want to not use it against non-adjacent attacks.

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store
Old February 10th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Captain Underpants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1 View Post
Probably should have a may or must in there for Vanish. It's not super clear if it is mandatory or not, and you'd often want to not use it against non-adjacent attacks.
Thanks for chiming in Soundwarp SG-1, I appreciate the assist. Normally I do not think a "may" is necessary because you are never forced to use a special power on a card unless it specifies that you "must". For example, fliers can choose to walk even though the power doesn't specify that you "may" ignore elevations when counting spaces. Basically, activating a special power is the players choice unless it states otherwise. So since Vanish is an official power (Isamu), I am reluctant to change the wording unnecessarily.

You do however make a good point in that too often you would rather role for the Arrow Strike so I edited out the additional defense die in that power to make it more of a gamble. Do you vanish into the shadows, or do you risk standing your ground and firing back? An easy choice if the attacker roles zero to one skull but much more fun when the attack dice come out to 2 or 3.

One issue I did notice is that Vanish doesn't come accompanied with a disengagement. Kind of makes it tough for him to use if locked in hand to hand combat. The official ninjas that have this power of course have a disengagement power as well. So now I have to decide whether I need to build that in. If I don't, Meryln has no defense against adjacent attacks and will fall pretty easily once you catch him. No different than my Green Arrow, but does make me worried that Vanish is a lot less useful if he can't do it when a big super type takes a mighty swing at him.

I may change it to ABSCOND 14 and include the "not take any engagement attacks" wording. That will allow him to vanish as a defense mechanism but not arbitrarily run from a fight for no reason. I'll have to think about that.
Old February 10th, 2015, 11:59 PM
Captain Underpants

After talking it over with Helm Jr., we decided to rearrange the order of Merlyn's defensive powers. Yes, it takes away the choice, but it adds more theme and balance.

Now, Merlyn rolls his defense dice and possibly fires the counter arrow when the attacker rolls poorly. If it looks like he does get hit because his defense roll fails, Merlyn can use deception to slip away similar to the way the HelmAverse Batman avoids wounds. Batman uses his cape, the shadows, etc while Merlyn uses his League of Assassin's stealth training to slip away just when you thought you had him.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations