Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old June 12th, 2009, 11:06 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Sherman's Lord of the Rings customs - Balin's Tomb

So, I recently came across a starter set of Sabertooth Games' now-defunct Lord of the Rings Tradeable Miniatures Game for $5, and decided that I would finally take the plunge and start a LotR-scape customs project, something that I'd been hesitant to even think about considering all the time my superhero customs take from me. Unfortunately, $5 for eight figures was too good a deal to pass up, even though the rational part of me knows that I'll eventually sink more cash into this trying to complete a collection of the Fellowship, not to mention the various armies of Middle Earth. Oh well, Tolkein's creations are too cool not to insert into the Battle For All Time, so here are the first of what I hope to be many more custom LotR units.

LORD OF THE RINGS INDEX:

Aragorn - 150
Balin's Tomb (Map)
Boromir - 135
Ent of Fangorn - 170
Eomer - 130
Eowyn - 90
Faramir - 110
Frodo Baggins - 60
Gamling - 50
Gandalf the Grey - 230
Gimli - 140
Gondorian Soldiers - 70
Grishnakh - 70
Guards of the Citadel - 70
Haldir - 100
Hama - 80
Ithilien Rangers - 80
Legolas - 140
Lothlorien Archers - 110
Lothlorien Warriors - 75
Lurtz - 130
Meriadoc Brandybuck - 40
Mordor Orcs - 65
Olog-hai - 175
Peregrin Took - 40
Riders of Rohan - 80
Ringwraith of Mordor - 130
Rohirrim Militia - 60
Samwise Gamgee - 60
Saruman the White - 250
Theoden - 150
Treebeard - 230
Ugluk - 50
Uruk-hai Crossbows - 80
Uruk-hai Warriors - 100
Witch-king of Angmar - 210

MISCELLANEOUS CUSTOMS:

Ah Jong
Cpl. Chuck Leeds
Darth Vader
Deputron
Emmet
Gilden Stormstone
Gilden Stormstone (unmounted)
Imperial Navy Trooper
Imperial Officers
Nordlung
Opinicus
Predator
Sheriff Not-a-Robot
Stormtroopers
Tha'alab the Darklord
Xenomorph Hunters
Xenomorph Queen
Yoggo

I tried to make Aragorn the kind of hero that could stand up to common squads, partially because in the books and movies the Fellowship are constantly fighting against deparate odds and superior numbers, and partially because as someone who dislikes excessive squadscape I like to design heroes who can actually hold their own against an equivalent amount of squaddies. Thus I came up with his King of Men ability, which can also be used to protect vulnerable Hobbits, as long as they stay close to him. Heroic Surge was inspired by the feat in WotC's Star Wars D20 RPG, as well as the fact that some people use Alastair MacDirk as a stand in for Aragorn.

The One Ring was a tough power to design. I wanted a power that was thematically accurate in that it made Frodo invisible, but I also wanted it to pack an offensive punch so that it would be tempting for a player to use. Of course, the consequences for using the Ring should be pretty serious, so I figured that giving your opponent a permanent +1 attack glyph (representing the strengthening of evil when the Ringbearer falls) fit the bill.

My first attempt at a Nazgul was pretty difficult, too. The Nazgul are supposed to be Sauron's greatest servants, so they should be formidable, but in the books and movies they are also shown to be far from unstoppable. After all, Aragorn manages to drive off five of them at Weathertop. In the end, I decided that the Nazgul were about as powerful as a solid hero like Aragorn (or other members of the Fellowship) but not on the level of, say, a Heroscape dragon.

With Lurtz, I again wanted a multi-attack option to deal with squads, but I didn't want to simply give him Double Attack like Krug, so I came up with something that would force the player to make a decision each time Lurtz attacked. The Foul Strike Special Attack was inspired by the scene in the movie in which Lurtz shoots Boromir while Boromir is fighting off Lurtz's troops.

Last edited by Sherman Davies; December 5th, 2023 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Updated index
Old June 12th, 2009, 11:09 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: Sherman Davies' Lord of the Rings customs

I have to learn how to make nice cards like this. I tried to use whitestuff's GIMP tutorial, but either I'm awful at following directions or I'm too impatient (probably both). What software to you use Sherman?

-insert signature here-
Old June 12th, 2009, 11:20 PM

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

I use GIMP and whitestuff's tutorial. I had little experience with photo manipulation programs until I started making Heroscape customs - the closest thing I had was QuarkXpress back when I worked at a small newspaper. GIMP wasn't too hard to learn, thanks to whitestuff's excellent tutorial - it took me the better part of 5 hours, but I managed it, and I'm one of the more computer-illiterate people I know. (My friends refer to me as their token Luddite.) Of course, I probably couldn't use GIMP for much more than making Heroscape customs right now, but for now that's all I need it for.
Old June 13th, 2009, 12:15 AM
the Teirible

Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby!

Awesome buy! Looks really cool.
I've only looked closely at Aragorn.
As it is worded, 'King of Men' gives a bonus to all adjacent figures, friend or foe.
Heroic Serge is huge. 2 turns for 1 activation at no cost. Wow. Cool idea.
Coupled with those stats and his other powers I think he might be price just right, if not a little low. Have you play tested these much yet?

HeroScape is back Baby! Whoo Hoo!!!
Old June 13th, 2009, 12:30 AM
the Teirible

Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby!

The One Ring is really neat. I think it is a great representation of the ring's power expressed through heroScape mechanics. Super cool in a campaign where Frodo is a designated target and a nearly unstoppable endgame figure in any army. Unless of course you toss a bad d20. Keeping track of each usage for the whole game could get potentially cumbersome by heroScape standards.

Last edited by Eirikr; June 13th, 2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old June 13th, 2009, 12:48 AM
the Teirible

Khamul is pretty awesome.
Aura of Terror effects all figures within 2 spaces of the nazgul, including your own. was this intentional? What if you changed it to;
Nazgul, Robots, figures with the fearless personality, and any figures you control that follow Utgar...
A little more complex but not in this context I don't think.
In any case I really like this one too. Both the powers are bang on thematically and are very playable.

Old June 13th, 2009, 01:00 AM
the Teirible

Lurtz is also very well designed in my opinion.
I think you need to work on the wording of Ferocity. As it is worded it only gives you a maximum of 2 attacks but I don't get the impression that was your intention.
Perhaps;
after completing a regular attack, Lurtz may attack again. Remove 2 attack dice for each attack after the first.
I don't know. That's a tricky one.
All in all you have created a bunch of really fun, thematically relevant, playable, and potentially competitive powers and some well designed custom figures. I'm really curious how they present themselves in play testing. I think your point costs are all pretty good but these are really unique so it is hard to say.
Great work.

Old June 13th, 2009, 01:32 AM

Thanks for all the feedback, Eirikr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirikr View Post
As it is worded, 'King of Men' gives a bonus to all adjacent figures, friend or foe.
Good catch, I'll fix that as soon as I get the chance.

Quote:
The One Ring is really neat. Unless of course you toss a bad d20. Keeping track of each usage for the whole game could get potentially cumbersome by heroScape standards.
Yeah, I considered using markers for it, but the wording for markers gets a little wordy sometimes. I just decided, the heck with it, I can use a pencil and paper on this one.

Quote:
Khamul is pretty awesome.
Aura of Terror effects all figures within 2 spaces of the nazgul, including your own. was this intentional?
Yup, orcs are terrified of Nazgul too.

Quote:
I think you need to work on the wording of Ferocity. As it is worded it only gives you a maximum of 2 attacks but I don't get the impression that was your intention.
Actually, that was exactly my intention, so I'm glad the wording makes it seem that way. Thanks again!
Old June 13th, 2009, 01:38 AM
the Teirible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
Actually, that was exactly my intention, so I'm glad the wording makes it seem that way. Thanks again!
Okay, so does that mean he can either attack once for 5 or twice for 3?

Old June 13th, 2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Okay, so does that mean he can either attack once for 5 or twice for 3?
You got it.
Old June 13th, 2009, 01:49 AM

Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker

These are flippin' awesome and a half. I especially love Lurtz. Brilliant work.

I'm selling a bunch of Heroscape stuff to pay for personal emergencies, please see my trade thread post: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...postcount=6803
Old June 13th, 2009, 07:49 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I use GIMP and whitestuff's tutorial. I had little experience with photo manipulation programs until I started making Heroscape customs - the closest thing I had was QuarkXpress back when I worked at a small newspaper. GIMP wasn't too hard to learn, thanks to whitestuff's excellent tutorial - it took me the better part of 5 hours, but I managed it, and I'm one of the more computer-illiterate people I know. (My friends refer to me as their token Luddite.) Of course, I probably couldn't use GIMP for much more than making Heroscape customs right now, but for now that's all I need it for.
Figures, and here I though I would get the easy way out. Guess I have to sit down with the program again and take my time.

-insert signature here-

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards