Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Old April 13th, 2018, 04:11 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Workshop Thread

Shootsies! I took some time to think on the resubmission and then forgot to come back and actually vote. Like Robber, the mass of level 2 is off-putting to me, but not enough to vote it down. to review.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old April 14th, 2018, 09:01 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

The resubmission of Jandar’s Summoning Circle has received enough votes, and is now under play testing review

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old June 8th, 2018, 10:30 PM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Lost Road Marsh by Leaf_it
I actually liked both versions of this map, so it's been fun to playtest them and see how they differ.

This review will be fairly short and concise. This map version does a great job of addressing some of the concerns from the original build. It widens the glyphs out of Raelin's reach from height, it opened up the center for map flow while also connecting the road, and it allows for quicker development from the startzone. The unfortunate killer on this map for me is the hills set behind each tree. This position is a dead giveaway to competitive players who will set up on the hill (with their melee or range) and wait for the opponent to come. It's easily attained in 2 turns while being 3 turns away from an opponents figure, meaning they'll be attacking up every time they engage. This aspect of the map makes it very unfun in a competitive setting like a tournament. Personally, in a casual game, I'd come off and do some attacking where ever, but we have to consider these maps being played in tournaments, and I don't think this one measures up in that sense. Providing each player with their own protected hill is just asking for people to set up shop and wait out the battle and/or force the opponent to come out.

for me

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old June 26th, 2018, 10:05 PM

Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Jandar's Summoning Circle by Flash 19

This was a tough one. After seven playtests, six of them being mostly lopsided, I am going to have to vote to Jandar’s Circle. I love the concept but . . . well, I can’t really put my finger on it. It was difficult to move double space figures between castle walls, ruins, and change in heights. If you can gain high ground on the either of the two heights with high defense figures then the game is over. Again, I love the concept. Perhaps some tweaks would help like making it easier to get out of the start zone? I would have voted the map as tournament worthy, but when nearly all of the battles were blowouts, then something is not quite right. Please revisit this map. The concept and general structure is very strong. My ARV colleagues may have different opinions, and I am OK with that.
Old June 27th, 2018, 08:16 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Jandar's Summoning Circle by Flash 19

This was a tough one. After seven playtests, six of them being mostly lopsided, I am going to have to vote to Jandar’s Circle. I love the concept but . . . well, I can’t really put my finger on it. It was difficult to move double space figures between castle walls, ruins, and change in heights. If you can gain high ground on the either of the two heights with high defense figures then the game is over. Again, I love the concept. Perhaps some tweaks would help like making it easier to get out of the start zone? I would have voted the map as tournament worthy, but when nearly all of the battles were blowouts, then something is not quite right. Please revisit this map. The concept and general structure is very strong. My ARV colleagues may have different opinions, and I am OK with that.
Thanks for your feedback and especially for the time you put in to play testing. Just to clarify a couple things. You said it was hard to move double based figures - is that because the double based figures are too big or bulky to fit in the spot you're trying to move the figure to? Or are you thinking general movement is difficult with any double based figure (regardless of size) because of changes in height/where those changes are located?

Also, I'd love to hear more about taking one of the two height positions in the middle. I tried to design the map with enough cover that an approaching melee army could contest those high spots without getting shot to bits by range. Are you talking about a high defense ranged figure like Q9 being able to gun down melee armies before they are able to get there and attack?

I'm also curious if there were any constants among the armies that were winning to cause such a blowout.

That's a lot of followup questions, so forgive me for that. I'd love to hear back from you.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I agree with Flash." ~superfrog

Old June 29th, 2018, 02:12 AM

Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness

@Flash_19
Hmm. I have thought long and hard about your great questions. I will answer them, but I will wait for the other judges to weigh in first. If they vote positive, I am good with that. If not, it may only be a few tweaks that are needed. I don't want to persuade too much at this point. Thanks for your understanding. I will reiterate, I would have voted yes just looking and theorizing, but the play tests told a different story . . . which may need more analysis as to why.
Old June 29th, 2018, 09:55 AM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
@Flash_19
Hmm. I have thought long and hard about your great questions. I will answer them, but I will wait for the other judges to weigh in first. If they vote positive, I am good with that. If not, it may only be a few tweaks that are needed. I don't want to persuade too much at this point. Thanks for your understanding. I will reiterate, I would have voted yes just looking and theorizing, but the play tests told a different story . . . which may need more analysis as to why.
Sounds good to me. Again, thank you - I do value your feedback and am grateful for the time you guys put into this process.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I agree with Flash." ~superfrog

Old July 11th, 2018, 07:12 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Since for some wonky reason my submission never got put into the pool when we did the Uncharted Wellsprings contest, I'd like to throw it in here for you guys to check out and see if it can be worthy to be placed into the ARV hall of fame tournament worthy maps. I built this for that tournament but we were new at this kind of thing then and didn't put my map in fear that I may have a chance to win my own prize. So, look it over fellas and let me know what you think.

The Dark Wellspring VS FILE

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old July 14th, 2018, 01:42 AM

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Cool map, TREX. Definitely has some interesting pathing choices to make. I think my main concern right now would be congestion, especially in the middle since it looks like a lot of single-hex pathways around the glyph, which is going to attract a lot of attention. I do like that there are a lot of paths around the map, though. Definitely gives that underground catacombs vibe!

10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old July 14th, 2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Cool map, TREX. Definitely has some interesting pathing choices to make. I think my main concern right now would be congestion, especially in the middle since it looks like a lot of single-hex pathways around the glyph, which is going to attract a lot of attention. I do like that there are a lot of paths around the map, though. Definitely gives that underground catacombs vibe!
Sooo, is that a yes to review or a no? Or you’re just not sure yet?

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old July 14th, 2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:
Ah, thought we were just feedback-ing for now. to review as-is, for me, due to congestion and attrition wars in the middle.

10 Points Under Videos

Old July 14th, 2018, 07:26 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:
Ah, thought we were just feedback-ing for now. to review as-is, for me, due to congestion and attrition wars in the middle.
That's cool. Just thought Id throw this in here because it didn't get a chance back when.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla