Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old July 5th, 2017, 12:39 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: HS2010's Map Thread - Riot - 7/3/2017

Omnicron Playground looks like it would be a ton of fun to play on. From a casually competitive standpoint it might work. It rewards the heck out of flying units, but that's par for the course on maps like these. I could see a Tournement Director throwing this is in, not for the balance factor, but for the wow factor.

Riot looks really cool! It looks like it'd be nightmare for especially slow units like KoW or something. There's merit in that though.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old July 9th, 2017, 10:40 AM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Re: HS2010's Map Thread - Riot - 7/3/2017

Riot 2.0
Requires: 2 M:tCB, 1 RttFF, 1 VW

One thing I didn't like about the original version was that the glyphs were on height. I then noticed this morning that double spaced figures can't reach the glyphs (). I played around with making a "bridge" of grass across the lava field but then that would lead to "your hill and my hill" scenarios. Finally, I got the tiles situated to where I could put lava field under the glyphs, forcing them to be used situationally. I also put Asphalt next to the glyphs to allow a safety zone atop the lava field.

I put two random power glyphs for now, but I think I like having two Glyphs of Gerda (Defense +1) there. Or Gerda and Move +1. I don't like Initiative or Wound here because your figure could die by the time you can use either (but there's strategy in that too I guess).
Old September 27th, 2017, 02:13 PM

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Re: HS2010's Map Thread - Dust Bowl - 8/28/2017

With the new map contest officially announced, I can make my newest map public:

Dust Bowl
Requires: 1 RotV, 1 BftU, 1 FotA

Background: TBD

I've played a few games on it with my cousin and it was in the map rotation at our latest tournament in which it fared really well. I hope everyone else enjoys it as much as I have!
Old September 27th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

REALLY like this map! My only qualm is the battlements attached to the startzone. I like them there, but I think there should be 1 or 2 taken off on each side in order to allow more balanced development out, as well as more than just the center for attackers to get up. As it stands, it could be an easy strategy to clog up the central entrance and just sit in the startzone with a ranged army and pop off figures as they come in. Not fun, but still it's possible. Also 4 height figures can't engage units just behind the battlements...so that is also a problem. I think just taking 2 on each side solves this issue. It opens things up for both armies.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old September 28th, 2017, 01:07 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

I agree with Sir H that it may be good to reconsider the battlements on the start zones. It would make it a lot easier for army development and for attacking start zones with melee, and encourage using the whole map. I do like that the road on this map swings by the high points allowing melee to attack those positions quickly. The road gets a little clunky on the edges, but the map is open enough to allow movement otherwise so that looks fine to me. Neat map, HS2010!

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old October 10th, 2017, 01:27 PM

Re: HS2010's Map Thread - Dust Bowl - 10/10/2017

Dust Bowl

2 random Power Glyphs and 2 random Treasure Glyphs

@Sir Heroscape and @BiggaBullfrog - Thanks for both of your guys' feedback. With it, I've updated it to this version. One of my biggest issues with the previous version was that it allows range 7+ figures to fire on the glyphs from height from the SZs. Removing one of the 24-hexes from each side and using left over Rock hexes allowed me to make it so that only range 9+ figures can do so, and it also fixed the both of your guys' biggest issue with the map. Now, instead of height 4- figures not being able to engage the start zones, it's just height 3-, and all height 3 figures (except the Omnicron Repulsors) have some sort of elevation special power that allows them to move over the battlements anyways.

@Robber , I know you said you could be mentioned in on maps... What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Sheep; October 10th, 2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old October 10th, 2017, 02:47 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

I think this looks and feels much better.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old October 11th, 2017, 12:09 AM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
Dust Bowl

2 random Power Glyphs and 2 random Treasure Glyphs

@Sir Heroscape and @BiggaBullfrog - Thanks for both of your guys' feedback. With it, I've updated it to this version. One of my biggest issues with the previous version was that it allows range 7+ figures to fire on the glyphs from height from the SZs. Removing one of the 24-hexes from each side and using left over Rock hexes allowed me to make it so that only range 9+ figures can do so, and it also fixed the both of your guys' biggest issue with the map. Now, instead of height 4- figures not being able to engage the start zones, it's just height 3-, and all height 3 figures (except the Omnicron Repulsors) have some sort of elevation special power that allows them to move over the battlements anyways.

@Robber , I know you said you could be mentioned in on maps... What are your thoughts?
I really like the concept of Dust Bowl! I'm really glad that the contest has this theme, because it's already inspiring some awesome and creative maps. I really like how the majority of it is on level 2 and above, and there are some "sand traps" on level 1. It reminds me a lot of Dignan's map Warden, which is one of my favorites.

I think I'd have to actually build and play on Dust Bowl to get a grasp of what parts of it could be improved. It looks pretty solid from a quick glance, I don't see any immediate glaring flaws.
Old October 25th, 2017, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robber View Post
I really like the concept of Dust Bowl! I'm really glad that the contest has this theme, because it's already inspiring some awesome and creative maps. I really like how the majority of it is on level 2 and above, and there are some "sand traps" on level 1. It reminds me a lot of Dignan's map Warden, which is one of my favorites.

I think I'd have to actually build and play on Dust Bowl to get a grasp of what parts of it could be improved. It looks pretty solid from a quick glance, I don't see any immediate glaring flaws.
Yes, that is the original inspiration. I'm glad you like it from first glance. Let me know if you get a chance to build and play on it, and of course, provide your comments after you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
I did settle on Dust Bowl as looking interesting though I'm unsure of how the closed off start zones will actually play but I trust the Judges that it's not crippling.
It's funny. "Closed off", or some similar wordage, was used at our latest tournament. However, I don't view them as closed off. You can easily hop over them with all but one unit (that is, the Omnicron Repulsors). Melee attacking the SZ would be the only place where the battlements could be an issue, but I think the circumstances would be to where it's not... First off, there are glyphs to worry about. If you're attacking the SZ because you're ranged opponent doesn't want to move out, you have the glyphs. Period. Secondly, if you do attack the SZ, I would attack down the middle. Eventually, with enough force, your opponent will give and your forces can break through.

Thank you for your vote, Japes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Dust Bowl: The Treasure glyphs right by each start zone could be a problem, but then I like encouraging use of heroes and Treasure. There are a few perches and not much LoS blocking, but scattered shadow and more importantly road access to attacking the height makes up for that. Aesthetically appropriate as well, IMO (which is impressive because 'road' and 'wasteland' don't necessarily fit together to my mind).
I've liked the T-Glyph placements. They can be grabbed up by 5-move figures their first turn and by their 2nd they can be back on the road hardly missing a beat.

You might actually be surprised by the amount of LoS blocking that comes into play, so long as the figures are of the standard size and not Dragons or other large figures, of course. Also, when squads dominant each player's armies, the map can become quite full, making LoS more about finding a shot through each other's figures than maneuvering the map's blockers themselves.

As far as the perches, the highest one counters the road but the road also counters it. And it's easily approachable (2 turns with a 5-move figure out of the SZ). The lower perch near the SZ isn't countered by melee, but any range in the opponent's army makes that perch not worth anything.

Talking about that perch, and the reason I brought this to my thread: I'm actually working on adding some ladders to the map, along with rearranging the battlements a bit (and maybe even a bigger surprise). Anyways, one of the ladders I want to add would lead up to the 2-hex rock near the SZ, but it would also allow a melee figure to engage that perch with height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUILD_WARRIOR View Post
Played on Dust Bowl last weekend. I really like the way it played. Elevations are placed well to stop one army from capturing all the higher ground. The Shadow spaces' enhanced defense also added another level to the melee battle in the center of the map. It has a really good flow throughout. Great job Heroscaper2010!
Thanks again G_W! All of the feedback is what keeps me around and going.
Old October 25th, 2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
Talking about that perch, and the reason I brought this to my thread: I'm actually working on adding some ladders to the map, along with rearranging the battlements a bit (and maybe even a bigger surprise). Anyways, one of the ladders I want to add would lead up to the 2-hex rock near the SZ, but it would also allow a melee figure to engage that perch with height.
As my girlfriend would tell you, I can't keep a secret... so here's a picture of what I'm referencing above.

I've also messed around enough in VS so that if those rock 7-hexes on the right side of each SZ don't really work well, they can be removed and the ground level can remain the same as the current version.

Last edited by Sheep; February 11th, 2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old October 25th, 2017, 05:56 PM

Grimnak knows what's in an order marker Grimnak knows what's in an order marker Grimnak knows what's in an order marker

@heroscaper2010 I think I described it as “closed off” back at Mad Bros :P
Old January 11th, 2018, 09:37 PM

New map!

Durgeth Swamps
1 SotM, 2 TJ

Last edited by Sheep; January 12th, 2018 at 12:58 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios