Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old January 13th, 2017, 04:59 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Ixe, I think Leaf It was feeling (understandably, given the posts on the subject) defensive about the decision to have a Move 8. I didn't get the feeling that he wanted to see any workshopping here. My 2c, just how I read his post.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old January 13th, 2017, 05:05 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
I would appreciate testing her at 8 move, and if she is found to need a movement change from that testing (though I do not expect that to be the case) then by all means lower her move to 7.
We do not make mechanical adjustments to any submitted unit. Some judges have expressed thematic concerns for 8 move which isn't really an issue of testing in the first place. You are always welcome to resubmit a failed unit or withdraw one in the process if you would like to make changes. This is not a work shopping space, however, so it would be best to discuss this question further in another thread if that is what you want to do.
I would like to see if this current version will get tested. I believe testing will show that it is balanced, and fun to play with as is. But the main concerns don't seem to reflect playability. If it does not pass testing, I will resubmit with modified stats.
Old January 14th, 2017, 01:27 AM

Simval rolls all skulls baby! Simval rolls all skulls baby! Simval rolls all skulls baby! Simval rolls all skulls baby! Simval rolls all skulls baby!

Just a quick question that came to mind : Would the judges consider a unit with four powers too complicated/unreviewable ? One of the powers in question being something like Scale or Climb X2.
Old January 14th, 2017, 01:47 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I would consider a four power unit. And yes, one power being Scale or Climb X2 would be a plus.
Old January 14th, 2017, 01:49 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Going for 3 or fewer powers is not actually a rule. Sonya Esenwein had four powers and units like Shiori would have had 4 powers if they still wrote Phantom Walk as Disengage+Ghost Walk. C3V made the Zettian Deathwings who also have 4 powers. It's more of a guideline with the spirit being that a unit shouldn't be too complicated and shouldn't try to do everything. A unit could fail the spirit of that guideline with even fewer than 3 powers so that's what I'm really looking for. Powers like climb and even flying are pretty intuitive and used often enough that I don't consider them to add much to how complicated a card is (even though flying is a complicated power when you look at it).
Old January 14th, 2017, 02:12 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

I wouldn't say Flying, or even a Leap ability was really complicated, it just has over-complicated wording to avoid corner cases - in the end they're really intuitive. The complexity issue for them is card space rather than actually being overcomplicated.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old January 14th, 2017, 03:30 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

If it felt every power was necessary for the unit, then I would happily review and accept it. For example Scytale's Ticalla Snakes are another good example of unit that warrents 4 powers. Slither and Scale are so obvious they feel more like a 2 power unit than 4.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old January 14th, 2017, 04:19 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I happen to like the suggestion dok made in your custom thread slightly better than the one that's here, but I think it's worth giving this a shot if Leaf_It likes it better.

to review Maltis Tez
Old January 14th, 2017, 06:51 PM

Simval rolls all skulls baby! Simval rolls all skulls baby! Simval rolls all skulls baby! Simval rolls all skulls baby! Simval rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
It's more of a guideline with the spirit being that a unit shouldn't be too complicated and shouldn't try to do everything. A unit could fail the spirit of that guideline with even fewer than 3 powers so that's what I'm really looking for.
This is nice to read, considering this is also my philosophy when designing customs !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang
The complexity issue for them is card space rather than actually being overcomplicated.
Good point. Something that doesn't help, I think, is that card space can be altered by the design guidelines used to produce the cards. For example, looking at the Zettian Deathwings, the text is pretty cramped because of the four powers (and because Flying is long), yet is easily readable. On the other hand, a program like MSE will keep the text really spaced, making it harder to design units with a lot of powers without hurting readability.

Anyways, thanks for the answers. It's what I though it would be!
Old January 15th, 2017, 05:33 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

I am aware that this requires re-approval, but due to the number of people saying that they like the card, but wish that it was 7 instead of 8 move, I'm going to re-submit with 7 move.

Spoiler Alert!

Known synergy with: Teeth of the Makwa, Venac Worlord, Brave Arrow, Van Nessing, Seleena, Werewolf Lord.

Known weakness: Once she's engaged, she only has 2 attack

Because it's not immediately apparent to everyone, I want to elaborate on how exactly Evasion instinct can be used.
- You choose a figure, but you are not required to attack that figure.
- You can attack a different figure than the one you chose, and evasion instinct onto a hex that is still adjacent to the figure you attacked, so long as it is not adjacent to the figure you chose.
- You can choose a figure, successfully wound and destroy it, and then evasion instinct forward onto the hex the figure you chose was sitting on before it was destroyed, because technically you aren't adjacent.
- All of this is possible because you choose a figure.

I play tested with these options in mind. Engagement is still the counter to Maltis, so even though she has a lot of options with evasion instinct, you might not want to use them most of the time. Generally you just want to avoid engagement, if you are planning to place markers on her very much. Hopefully these options within the ability, won't negatively impact her chances for approval.
Old January 15th, 2017, 12:28 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

I agree that four powers is fine, as long as all of the powers are necessary for the unit. It is a red flag for being overly complex, however.

Maltis Tez has been rescinded by the submitter's request. A new version of the unit has been submitted.

As for the new version of Maltis, I find the change to be a nice improvement. Without reservation I vote to review Maltis Tez.
Old January 15th, 2017, 01:24 PM
This is merely a joke.

This version works for me too. to review.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs