Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Old August 19th, 2017, 08:12 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Workshop Thread

Meant to have this review posted a while ago. My bad!

Marshall Law by @rednax

This map shares a lot with rednax's other map currently undergoing review, Everglades and Evergreens. It has the same hexagonal shape, and it has a similar simple, clean look and build. Even the glyphs are the same. That all said, it does have a different play style. So let's see if it's got what it takes to stand tall on competitive table.

Marshall Law features a string of road tiles running laterally across the map. This road does a great job of connecting just about the whole map, meaning units can run from one end to the other fairly quickly. This also means that it's hard for ranged units to sit back and camp. All of the high spots on the map are at most one hex away from the road. There's also plenty of jungle cover to help units defend against ranged attacks as they get into position. All of this works together pretty well for some quick action. Units aren't going to die to ranged fire too quickly, and engagements are able to happen quickly.

The glyphs are placed well and work well for the map. They both draw attention from the center of the map but are close enough to the strong high points of the map to remain relevant. The power level for these preset glyphs is good as well - they're not so strong as to rule the game alone, but they are good enough that armies will find it worthwhile to seek them out.

I was a little worried about Raelin on this map, but she wasn't any stronger on it than on any other map. She can hit the high points on the map in one turn, but those are so advanced and close to the action that she'll be in real jeopardy if she's thrown out there that quickly. Slow rolling with her is a better idea, but doing so doesn't put her in a game-ruling position on the map, and the opposing player can use the glyphs and height to his advantage against her.

Overall, this is a fun and balanced map that I am completely confident in recommending for tournament play. I vote to establishing Marshall Law in the ARV.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old August 19th, 2017, 09:47 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Wow! Thank you, judges, for the kind words on both of these maps! I'm glad that they've been received well so far. I look forward to reading the other judges' reviews whenever that may be. Thank you so much for all the hard work you put in!
Old September 8th, 2017, 02:44 PM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Everglades and Evergreens by @rednax

Both of rednax's maps have the octagonal shape to them that I just love. For me personally, this makes the map incredibly pleasing visually; now getting a map to be competitive and tournament ready with this shape is the real challenge.

Maps with smaller footprints, like this one, have some pros' and cons' that have to be taken into consideration immediately: are the start zones too close, does it favor melee too strongly (if that is possible), and most importantly is there enough variance in such a small map to make it playable?

With this map there is clear height on one side of the map that could potentially support range. However, the smallness of the map coupled with the short stretch of road tiles make it incredibly easy for melee to close the gap and contest what range has set up. I also really like the glyph choices and placement of those glyphs. Height attacks are possible on both glyphs making it risky to hold them. Double-spaced figures have easy access to both glyphs and attacking positions on the glyph holders themselves. There is minor LoS blockers for glyph holders, but it is just enough that it makes ranged units have to move to capitalize on the height.

The glyph choices are also really solid for this map. Now, first impressions of the glyph choices made me cuss a little (Just ask Sir Heroscape). I am so sick of the Wannock glyph. However, Wannock and Dagmar together make a fun scenario where glyph grabbing is not useful until turn three. If you grab them too soon, your opponent will have an easier time getting you off them and not being able to use them. My play tests had Dagmar and Wannock being equally used. This forces the players to use the whole map.

Overall, I really enjoyed this map. I love the small footprint, the use of glyphs (even if Wannock was one of them), and the quick play that is still balanced for all types of armies. I would give this map a vote for tournament play.
Old September 8th, 2017, 06:21 PM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I don't feel like I need to redo play tests on Marshal Law. I played lot of games on that one originally, and you adjusted everything that I had concerns with. So, I will just give a vote for tournament play on Marshal Law! Again @rednax , good work.
Old September 9th, 2017, 07:14 PM

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Finally getting the time I want to write this review!

A Couple Puddles by @Leaf_It

If nothing else, this map is simple. High hills on the side with a road going through the middle. Simplicity by itself is neither good nor bad, so does this resubmission to the ARV have what it takes? Let's find out on today's episode of Read-Through-Bigga's-Overwinded-Review! Or just skip to the end to see where the thumb is pointing. I don't really care either way.

Looking at the build of the map, Leafy-boy does a good job of boosting the height on the map. There are a lot of holes on the lower levels, but they still solidly support the height on top of them. It's also fun to have a map utilizing the Marvel set, and those extra hexes aren't wasted. The pathing is pretty open, allowing easy access to all parts of the map, the one main chokepoint being if you try to exit your startzone to the right, as well as the middle area with the trees and glyph, but those are pretty open chokepoints and the map flows pretty well (unless you have a horde trying to climb the hill to your right, but going around the ruin both ways helps and it's not a terrible headache, though admittedly not my favorite part of the map either). The aesthetics on the map are simple in a way that I really like. It gives off the feel of a dried-up area that Leaf_It is trying to portray. A kind of once-lush-but-now-barren hill that opposing armies are fighting for control of.

Looking at the map tells you pretty quickly what you need to do on it. Grab that high ground! Granted, that's pretty much how it is on most maps, but this one has the added benefit of the high ground being higher than on most maps with glyphs nearby. While the map is so straightforward that it seems to limit how much strategy plays into it, there is actually a good amount of decision-making that needs to happen as you decide whether to storm a hill for a strong position or try routing your opponent's forces by utilizing the road. Or you can try to be super greedy and take both hills, but I found such tactics to generally fall through hard. The Initiative Glyph in the middle gives you a point of interest as you fight for initiative switches to gain an advantage.

I tested a lot of army archetypes on this map as I was particularly worried about the strength of the hills with glyphs on them. Nothing says "uber strong point" like getting height advantage and a glyph. I was naturally mostly worried about strong ranged armies with good map control - 4th and 'Trons and such - being able to take control of a hill and win with no contest. I was happily surprised to find that such a feat is more difficult than I thought, as most melee armies can reach the high ground at the same time as the ranged armies while using the road to cut through to get at the reinforcements. It's by no means an easy fight for the melee player, but it's not easy for the ranged player either, and the action feels even.

That said, I did have an issue with Nilfheim+Greenscales. Both Raelin and Nilf can get to the highest points of the map in one move, with Greenies coming up from behind to support them. I played this scenario many many times, eventually getting so played-out on this map that I had to take a break and test the rest of the maps on my list. I found that strong melee armies like Heavies and Knights can go toe-to-toe with the Nilf/Green (or WinterGreen) army, and that it's by no means impossible for them to win. But it is kind of a headache when you're swinging at figures with 7 Defense dice. I spent a lot of time thinking about this one, but in the end I decided that since the issue is only with Dragon/Raelin armies, and that most other armies aren't pure melee like the ones I was playing, and that all my other games had been fun, and that the all-melee armies do still win about half the time, that it was a headache worth ignoring in this case.

There is one technical issue that I have with the map in that there is no space underneath the two water spaces. I have, however, talked to Leaf_It about this issue, and pointed out how he could rearrange a couple hidden hexes to put some support under the water. Since the change won't impact the play of the map at all, and he has agreed to make the change, I'm letting this issue go by. (Other judges, I'm just now realizing I never brought this up to you, but Leafy should have an updated PDF up soon, or if you inquire, I can let you know the specifics of the change and you can deem for yourselves whether you like it or not.)

I vote to inducting A Couple Puddles into the ARV Tournament Map Club.

10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old September 9th, 2017, 09:05 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
There is one technical issue that I have with the map in that there is no space underneath the two water spaces. I have, however, talked to Leaf_It about this issue, and pointed out how he could rearrange a couple hidden hexes to put some support under the water. Since the change won't impact the play of the map at all, and he has agreed to make the change, I'm letting this issue go by. (Other judges, I'm just now realizing I never brought this up to you, but Leafy should have an updated PDF up soon, or if you inquire, I can let you know the specifics of the change and you can deem for yourselves whether you like it or not.)
To clarify, The water tiles have no support underneath them. The change does not change anything on the surface of the map, so the game play is not effect at all. It simply changes the way the map is built underneath everything.

I actually want to just use 2 double stacked water tiles under the unsupported water tiles, which wouldn't change anything at all. The only issue with this is that the PDF doesn't show any difference between a single water tile, and two water tiles stacked on top of each other.

Last edited by Leaf_It; September 9th, 2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old September 10th, 2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
I actually want to just use 2 double stacked water tiles under the unsupported water tiles, which wouldn't change anything at all. The only issue with this is that the PDF doesn't show any difference between a single water tile, and two water tiles stacked on top of each other.
I remember you bringing this up, and if you recall, I was opposed to the stacking water tiles due to it not showing up on the PDF and it being unorthodox to the point that I don't think it would be intuitive. Especially since moving the one hex I showed you would be so easy and more preferable, that's the change I would like to see.

10 Points Under Videos

Old September 10th, 2017, 01:40 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
I remember you bringing this up, and if you recall, I was opposed to the stacking water tiles due to it not showing up on the PDF and it being unorthodox to the point that I don't think it would be intuitive. Especially since moving the one hex I showed you would be so easy and more preferable, that's the change I would like to see.
Well, I have moved a 1 hex grass tile from the lower layer to under the water tile, and update the PDF.

Again, nothing changes visually, and if I made both the current PDF build instructions, and the old, side by side, you would be able to tell the difference, unless you took the maps apart to see what was underneath the layers of terrain.
Old September 10th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

I think that should be just fine @Leaf_It

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old October 18th, 2017, 11:05 AM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Hey Architects, with the new contest up area you soon going to be able to rereview previous contest's maps? I mostly ask since I did end up "fixing" the Kelda problem with Wasted Swampland, and I don't know if I ever got that to you.

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old October 18th, 2017, 11:15 AM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Goomonkey View Post
Hey Architects, with the new contest up area you soon going to be able to rereview previous contest's maps? I mostly ask since I did end up "fixing" the Kelda problem with Wasted Swampland, and I don't know if I ever got that to you.
You can post your re-submission via the guidelines in this thread's OP anytime you'd like. BUT, if you do want our undivided attention, then it might be best to post it after the contest is officially over. Even still, feel free to post it if you'd like.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old October 18th, 2017, 11:53 AM

Due to TREX stepping down, the following maps have now received enough votes to be inducted into the ARV tournament worthy maps:

A Couple Puddles by Leaf_it
Marshall Law by Rednax
Evergreens and Everglades by Rednax

Sir Heroscape's Content

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla