Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old June 19th, 2017, 01:48 AM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Leaf_It's Maps, and Scenarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
There is a Wall Here
I love the novelty factor of this map. You make use of these disparate terrain expansions without having the map look too cacophonous. I realize that you don't recommend it for competitive play, but I wanted to offer one suggestion nonetheless. With the layout of the map, it seems like most of the action will be concentrated by the glyph, and I can imagine it getting very cramped. I'd be curious to see what you could do with the map if you shortened the wall a bit to open the action up.

But if you'd rather leave it as is, I get that too.
As it currently is, a move 6 range 6 can already 1 turn attack the opponents start zone. I don't want to allow that any more that I already am.

Thank you for all the feedback @rednax I appreciate it.
Hmm, perhaps repositioning the the two sets of two columns could help, just to clear up the middle area?
Old June 19th, 2017, 02:16 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

I love 'There is a Wall Here' Made me laugh and looks like it would have some unique gameplay. Have you ever thought to converting these to online play? I'd give them some play if there were in that format. The jungle on the map is probably going to be mostly superficial since LOS blockers are so prominent. Also curious as to why you broke up the road with those snow tiles in the middle of the map.
Old June 19th, 2017, 06:12 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
Hmm, perhaps repositioning the the two sets of two columns could help, just to clear up the middle area?
Maybe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
I love 'There is a Wall Here' Made me laugh and looks like it would have some unique gameplay. Have you ever thought to converting these to online play? I'd give them some play if there were in that format. The jungle on the map is probably going to be mostly superficial since LOS blockers are so prominent. Also curious as to why you broke up the road with those snow tiles in the middle of the map.
I have never tried to make a map for online play, but I assume it's just, "take a picture from above the map, and then add numbers to indicate height."

The jungle was to make sure I used each terrain expansion, and to give melee armies a little bit of a boost.

I started with the snow set, so it was what made up most of the start zones. I also figured it would better if the shorter path didn't have a speed boost, and gave that to the long path that leads to height.

No numbers, but you should be able to figure out the height from the either the image, or the PDF.
Old October 8th, 2017, 02:45 AM

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

I'm back with a new map. I present, Obsidian Wastes:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...o=file&id=4699

What do you think @BiggaBullfrog @Robber ? Are there any glaring problems I need to address?
Old October 8th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:

What do you think @BiggaBullfrog @Robber ? Are there any glaring problems I need to address?
Obsidian Wastes fits the theme of the contest really well. I'm a huge fan of your use of the Marvel set, it's really underrepresented IMO. Also, the stone, asphalt, and lava looks great together.

I haven't built the map, so these are my opinions from an initial glance:

It's a very tall map - most of it is lv 3 and above. I had this concern with A Couple Puddles too. Excessive height, especially near the starting zone, makes it hard for melee armies to develop. I would think about lowering all of the non-grass terrain by a level so that it's easier for melee to leave the starting zone.

I would also consider making all of the lv 5 and above terrain lava, with the exception of the rock 1-hexes by the glyphs. Currently, the sand 1-hexes on lv 6 are dominant spots on the map, especially because they are so easily reached from the starting zone. Lava is a great way to prevent range from there.
Old October 8th, 2017, 07:11 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Overall, I really like the look of it thematically. Brilliant use of the Marvel set to make it look like obsidian next to the lava. At a glance my main qualm is the center. It seems a little "choppy"/"terrainy" to me and I'd be more inclined to develop the sides with my army. I'd also be concerned about the 2-hex asphalt just to the left of each startzone. It's very accessible and a perfect position for any ranged units looking to pod and hunker down.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old October 8th, 2017, 07:14 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:

Visually, this map is great! You've got a really unique look going on here using the asphalt as obsidian. It really has the look and feel of a crag of open lava that you're fighting over. Love it.

As far as gameplay goes, I think that it's decent now, but agree with Robber that you might want to consider a few changes to make it great. He brings up a good point with the height of the map - it's not really adding enough to the map to justify the obstacle it presents to developing armies. I don't think it's terrible, but ranged armies will be able to sit back against melee armies because of how much vertical has to be climbed, and it hurts even more when there's no road or LoS blockers other than the ruins. I also agree that the lava could be a bit more strategically placed to discourage ranged armies from camping too much. I especially think the areas around the glyphs could be reworked a bit, as right now it is easy to claim the glyph to your left due to all the non-lava height while going right will be more detrimental.

Another thing to consider is that the start zones are a little close because of how short the map is. Again, noting how little cover and other aids there are to melee armies, this means that ranged armies can blitz the start zone relatively easily and then kite while melee has to climb all the height. This also means flying figures will have an advantage by controlling the map and always getting to choose engagements. Most dragons can turn one blitz the start zone and get away with it, and any 6-move flying figure can claim a glyph turn one (again, great for dragons to hold while they wait for Greenscales to catch up). I think lengthening the map even just by a couple hexes would really help, if you can work it.

All that said, I do think this map has great potential and is a really great first draft. Right now I feel like it is just below the line where I would recommend it for casual tournament use, and doesn't need a major rehaul, but some reworking can take it past casual tournaments to really competitive ones, IMO. Definitely one that I want to play on!

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old October 9th, 2017, 06:10 AM

Okay, here's my rework:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...o=file&id=4700

Last edited by Leaf_It; October 9th, 2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old October 9th, 2017, 09:09 AM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

I like this rework a lot more! Has the same cool look but seems to fix the identified issues

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old October 15th, 2017, 02:23 AM

Lost Road Marsh

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...o=file&id=4705

I wanted to make a map with the Swarm of the Marro set, because I haven't really made a decent one yet.

Last edited by Leaf_It; October 15th, 2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old October 15th, 2017, 10:44 AM

Simple and looks cool! I do have one MAJOR concern though. In the center of the map on each side of the central trees there is a 1-hex road choke point between the edge Jungle piece and glyph. This will be extremely easy for any ranged army to plug those spots with one figure while shooting over the top. I think if you found a way to open up the edges more and/or rework the center trees a little than this map would be great. But with those 1-hex choke points it really gives range an extreme advantage.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old October 15th, 2017, 05:55 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Hi Leaf_It! I love the look and feel of this map. The idea of a road that has been partially buried over the years is really neat. I do have to echo Sir Heroscape's concern that the middle part of the map looks like it could be a bad chokepoint, though. Also, it seems like your current start zones don't accommodate the Marro Hive.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios