Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old July 26th, 2023, 01:52 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!
Re: Wargrounds of Scape (WoS) - discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Mome Raths by @Typhon2222

As Typhon noted in his submission, Mome Raths has some similarities to existing maps with the same terrain combo (more on that in a moment), but it particularly stands out by splitting the shadow rather than focusing it in the middle. That and the classic Typhon 24-hex suspensions :P

Mome Raths improves on The Borogoves (imo) by bringing the level 4 heights inside the 3-hex outcrops, which makes them more contestable. But the 3-hex outcrops on Mome Raths pose a similar issue for me as some of the central blockers on The Borogoves: they (combined with the height differences) make it difficult for figures anywhere vaguely central on the board to reach the edges (in this case, to attack the glyph).

Speaking of the edges, I never found the edge paths useful in my games, which meant the 4 jungle bushes deployed to the map never boosted any defense rolls. I'm not sure that finding would hold up forever but those 4 jungle pieces seemed incidental to the map rather than a feature for armies to benefit from.

And then there's the other 4 jungle pieces, and how they interact with shadow. Obviously the jungle/shadow double buff has been done before, and I'm not one who thinks it's inherently problematic (heck, I just submitted a map with 14 such spaces, compared with 10 on this map), but I do take issue with the placements of them here.

8 of the 10 spots (the level 1s) are very yours/mine, making them a natural place to develop advancing figures. The problem there is that this 4-hex pool is too far from the action to reach some important spots (particularly the 3-hex level 3 perch). Really, both the best defensive spot (the level 1 4-hex shadow pool) and the best offensive spot (the level 3 3-hex dungeon perch) are far enough removed from the center that neither player really wants to continue development in a range/melee matchup.

I did find melee-melee matchups to be more enjoyable, and the 2-hex level 3 dungeon perch in the center makes fighting there very dynamic.

In general, Mome Raths is a well-designed map, but the isolated edges and overall distribution of development real estate mean that gameplay lacks enough momentum to be among the upper echelon of tournament maps. I vote to induct.
A fantastic review, @superfrog : detailed, insightful, helpful. Thanks for putting so much time into testing and thinking about the map!
Old July 26th, 2023, 12:24 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

A note to readers: Nomanisan is a phenomenal Heat of Battle map (in my less-qualified opinion).

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old July 26th, 2023, 12:34 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
A note to readers: Nomanisan is a phenomenal Heat of Battle map (in my less-qualified opinion).
I agree! Lava maps are great for HoB in general, of course.
Old July 26th, 2023, 02:24 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I can see that for sure!
Old August 7th, 2023, 02:08 AM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I remixed Dignan's Cage Match in an attempt to address the concerns of the WoS judges when it was first nominated years ago:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Would you mind if I remix Cage Match at some point?
This is my attempt to address the objections of the WoS judges (below) to Cage Match
Spoiler Alert!

TL;DR:
  • "this level 3 platform is too easy to hold... it’s too easy to block the level 3 platform access from your opponent"
  • "Thorian doesn’t apply to special attacks. So the screen + special attackers armies will have the advantage in pretty much any machup, and all they do is to stay on the platform."
  • "The biggest issue with the map is the two single-spaced dips in the road to level 2 - and, to a lesser extent, the two double-spaced dips on the other side."
  • "... the Thorian glyph [is] a very matchup-dependent glyph in addition to being very powerful"
--

To address these issues I raised the road so that is level 3 all the way around the entire map. I also removed Thorian and Astrid as hard-coded glyphs for the map, suggesting they be replaced with other strong glyphs instead. I also removed the swamp water dip along the outside edge of the map, making it easier to go around the sides.

As part of making the road level 3 all the way around, I also removed the level 4 road on the outer edges and replaced it with a single hex on level 4 in the middle of a 7-hex shape of road and sand.

To implement the various level-raising changes I did have to bring in a couple of extra 2-hex snow tiles. These are placeholders--I imagine most collections have some extras, since I know there were some waves that included extra tiles in booster packs. If no extra tiles are available, I believe that some leftover wall bases (of which this map leaves several) would also do the trick.

Finally, I removed a few battlements and added multiple ladders to make the map easier to traverse for melee armies.
We've already used it at several Colorado events and I've been pleased with how it has played.

Quote:
uploaded originally by Dignan 2012-05-13
edit by caps uploaded 2023-02-25

Cage Match Redux

Requires: 1 SotM, 1 FotA

Glyph configuration: strong glyphs must be placed in the center (Ulaniva, Wannok, Valda, Thorian, or even C3V's Lorja Ivor or Yngvild), with useful glyphs on the outsides (Valda, Dagmar, Wannok, Lodin, or C3V's Holdir).

note: the glyphs of Brandar are treasure glyphs.

Link to .pdf
Link to .hsc

------------------------------------

This revision has seen play at multiple Colorado tournaments, specifically
And the original version was used at multiple tournaments as well.

--
--
--

--
Old August 7th, 2023, 02:07 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Thanks for the nomination!
Old August 14th, 2023, 01:19 PM
This is merely a joke.

I'd like to nominate Origin for an update, using the version seen at ScapeCon III.

It's a very simple tweak to the original, adding a 2-hex sand bridge on each side near the glyph.

I have played this several times and in my opinion it's a straight improvement on the original. It was used at a recent Utah event, a recent SoCal event that sadly only had 4 players, and ScapeCon III.

I also vote to induct the update.

Last edited by superfrog; December 21st, 2023 at 01:13 PM.
Old August 14th, 2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I'd like to nominate Origin for an update, using the version seen at ScapeCon III.

It's a very simple tweak to the original, adding a 2-hex sand bridge on each side near the glyph.

I have played this several times and in my opinion it's a straight improvement on the original. It was used at a recent Utah event, a recent SoCal event that sadly only had 4 players, and ScapeCon III.

As someone who played on this version several times at SC3, I have to say I think this version is an improvement. I think it makes it easier to approach the 1-hex level 3 mini-hill from the opposite level 2 plateau without having to take as many downhill attacks from figures on the opposing level 2.

--
--
--

--
Old August 15th, 2023, 11:34 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:

Agreed. Yes to induct.
Old August 16th, 2023, 02:04 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Nomination

April 9th

Nomination for this map. It was a lot of fun to play on at Scapecon and I enjoyed all 8 of my games on it (even the ones I lost). The board feels dynamic despite having what looks like a two hill situation and a strong central glyph makes for very interesting choices throughout. The jungle, glaciers, and ruins are excellently placed to give both range and melee some interesting choices.

~Dysole, jumping on this
Old August 16th, 2023, 04:28 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

I'm going to go ahead and nominate Nightfall.

Nightfall

Events:

Louisville, KY Monthly Tournament (10/22/2022)
Mid-Atlantic Regional Scapers (4/22/23)
MARS Salisbury Maryland - VCheese (6/25/23)
Peoria Monthly June 2023 (6/24/23)
Missouri Seasonal Tourneys (7/22/23)
MARS D.C. July 2023 - RtW (7/22/23)
Peoria Monthlies 23 — SC prep RtW (7/29/23)
Utah Monthly July 2023 (7/29/23)
Scapecon 3

From ScapeCon III feedback thread, Nightfall seemed to be the overall favorite map, or at least near the top. And it's a great use of the Marvel set overall.
Old August 16th, 2023, 09:57 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Shaolin Monastery by @Sheep

Shaolin Monastery is a very visually striking map. The terrain zones are near perfect (if only those rock hexes could be asphalt), and it has a fun layered climbing element to it that evokes a battle in a mountaintop monastery.

One of the most important strategic features of the map are the level four two-hexes outside the start zone. They offer great control over their part of the battlefield, can be shielded by a Raelin in the start zone, and are only beaten in height by two single-hex level pieces. There is plenty of level four in the middle of the map to match height for approaching figures, but that does result in a lot of climbing. Also, in the case of the left-side perch, you can fire down on the glyph, giving you great control. Move Raelin up out of the start zone a bit and you can cover the perch plus some central area, or even both perches, depending on which figures you're fielding and how much real estate you think you can handle.

I really went back and forth on these spots a lot. They are very strong, and the fact that Raelin can cover them from the start zone means that ranged armies get a strong setup, especially ones that rely on one main figure like Q9 or Nilfheim. I found myself wanting a counter built into the map to make it more dynamic.

I'd love to see some tinkering with the map and think it has some solid bones, but as it is I think it falls short of the best of the best. I vote NO to induct.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios