Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old April 22nd, 2016, 08:24 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: The "I'm new here" Thread!!!

Excellent! Welcome aboard. We see tournament notifications sometimes for Texas, so keep an eye out for those. Unfortunately for you, the current event being planned for "Austin" will be in Austin, Minnesota.

It's not as expensive as people fear to get into the hobby. If you want to get some stuff, you can get it. You just have to be patient.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old April 27th, 2016, 12:33 PM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Hello fellow Heroscapers!

I'm new here (kind of). I'm late to the party as I discovered Heroscape as recently as 2014. Been lurking here ever since and decided to join in to do my part in keeping this community alive and well.

As you could relate, I feel tormented that this game is no longer being produced. I won't cry too much about it though as I've had success slowly accumulating a grand collection through eBay lots. (A note to other newbies, buying Heroscape in piece meal is an expensive endeavor. However, if you are patient and not afraid to go "all in" and buy large eBay lots, you can get some great deals!)

A little bit more about my story - I'm a gamer. A card gamer by family tradition. A ball gamer/sports fan. And a massive video gamer in my youth. But as I got older, got married, and had more responsibilities, video games became too time consuming. I needed something more finite, something with a beginning and an end in one sitting. I also needed more human interaction. Enter board games.

I always enjoyed Monopoly and Risk, but wow did I find something better! I got hooked on many great modern board games: Dominion, Agricola, Formula D, to name a few. I was love struck. But then just when I thought it couldn't get any better, someone showed me Heroscape...

Holy balls! This is the greatest game ever made!! I can only imagine how much fun I would have had with it as a kid. I had always wanted a game like it. In fact, I used to make board games like it on big sheets of card board littered with my action figures and a handful of dice. But nevermind all that, I'm an adult and love this game all the same. I had to have it.

After more than a year of slowly and carefully picking through eBay, I've become a proud owner of a near complete collection and enough common mutiples to please most 500-600 point armies. I also have enough terrain to create everything from a massive jungle pit to a towering volcano. But more than that, these spectacles have served well in turning my friends into Heroscape players. So, in a way, my collection includes a great group of friends through which we have had fun, memorable times. And with many more to come!

Heroscape has found a permanent place in my household. Now I'm hoping to be a part of this lasting community.

Thanks for reading my story. See you around!

bmon

Last edited by bmon; May 2nd, 2016 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old April 27th, 2016, 01:50 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Welcome aboard, Bmon!
Old April 27th, 2016, 05:40 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Thanks for sharing your story--it's cool to see a newer player get in with enthusiasm!

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old April 27th, 2016, 09:45 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmon View Post
Holy balls! This is the greatest game ever made!! I can only imagine how much fun I would have had with it as a kid. I had always wanted a game like it. In fact, I used to make board games like it on great sheets of card board littered with my action figures and a handful of dice. But nevermind all that, I'm an adult and love this game all the same. I had to have it.
I think this sums up how a lot of us feel about this game. Welcome aboard!
Old April 27th, 2016, 11:43 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
Holy balls! This is the greatest game ever made!! I can only imagine how much fun I would have had with it as a kid. I had always wanted a game like it. In fact, I used to make board games like it on great sheets of card board littered with my action figures and a handful of dice. But nevermind all that, I'm an adult and love this game all the same. I had to have it.
I think this sums up how a lot of us feel about this game. Welcome aboard!
& welcome.
Old April 28th, 2016, 12:50 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

"Holy Balls", that's a nice touch you don't hear everyday. Welcome to the site.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old April 28th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Now I'm hoping to be a part of this lasting community.
You already are.

I can't urge you strongly enough to participate in the excellent competitive Heroscape scene. Maybe you already saw this thread? You will find a great, welcoming group of guys if you can get there.

Welcome aboard!

= =
Old April 29th, 2016, 02:47 PM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!
Old April 29th, 2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I can't urge you strongly enough to participate in the excellent competitive Heroscape scene. Maybe you already saw this thread? You will find a great, welcoming group of guys if you can get there.
Thanks, I will be looking into that!
Old May 5th, 2016, 05:05 AM

Arteus is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Well, I posted up that I was introduced to Heroscape on BGG and I was very promptly directed here by several posters. Hi there.

To keep things brief, I'm a UK resident that decided to go hunting through charity shops in search of cheap board games. A store attendant brought a Rise of the Valkyries master set from the storeroom with a price of £5. I didn't know much about Heroscape (and still don't, I clearly have a lot to learn seeing how much of a legacy this game has) but upon seeing a complete set of terrain, miniatures and all of the other lovely components I snapped it up. For that price I would have felt stupid if I had just left it there, simply because of the component quality.

So here I am. I was fairly quickly made aware that this is a very popular series with a passionate following and I pretty much struck gold finding a complete master set for such a low price. Well, complete apart from any of the rulebooks...

But yes, I was told I would receive a warm welcome from the community here as I attempt to navigate the world of Heroscape. I won't know until I actually play it but I have a feeling I'm getting into a world of great fun and great expenditure. It's unlikely that I'll be hopping around the internet looking to buy entire new sets, there's a reason I was looking for board games in charity shops after all. :P
Chances are I'll just be rolling with the single master set and hoping additional content shows up in future shops I visit over time. I'm even going to return to the same one today in the hopes that there were actually some other expansions turned in at the same time that didn't get brought to me along with the master set.

So yes, that's my story. I've had the game for less than 24 hours and I'm getting excited to get some games in. Hopefully it entrances me as much as it has clearly entranced a lot of you fine folk.

P.S. If there's anybody in the UK with extra sets and therefore an extra rulebook, I would super appreciate being able to have one mailed to me. I don't want to break the bank but I would probably be able to pay shipping unless the ever-rising postage prices have snuck up on me. I'm already living on noodles and beans on toast, the budget doesn't exactly stretch very far but the idea of using a printout copy of the rulebook feels like heresy when all of the other components look so lovely.
Old May 5th, 2016, 07:59 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Welcome! Here is your warm welcome. You are right to want to find other Scapers. We're a pretty chill bunch, for the most part. The bad news is that I don't remember anything about a competitive scene in England, but the good news is that we've seen some other posters recently who may be a good match for you. I think.

You can download the rules in the downloads section. You got a super break starting your collection so cheaply, but if you're patient, in time, you'll find more goodies. Look around in the sales and trades subforum, we've had a few European posters there recently.

edit: Try starting a thread in the "Meet Other Scapers" subforum, looking for other Brits. See if anyone checks in. Also you may find some trying to buy 'Scape in the sales subforum. I'm pretty sure that's where I've seen them before. Can't remember at the moment.

= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; May 5th, 2016 at 08:38 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General