Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Old December 27th, 2007, 09:37 PM

Miniature Geek is surprisingly tart
Better Posting and You Revisited

I know that I'm going to sound like a jerk when I post this but at this point, I'm starting to not care. There is a certain standard on this site, and that is basic use of the English language and proper typing. Some members can't seem to find certain keys on their keyboards that make this possible. This guide is for them.

Part 1. The Shift Key.

The shift key is the most common way to capitalize letters. It turns this:

"wow i love heroscape, and you know what makes heroscape even better? heroscapers.com, where i can find all this great info on making my own customs, maps, and just hang out with other people who love heroscape."

Into this:

"Wow I love heroscape, and you know what makes Heroscape even better? Heroscapers.com, where I can find all this great info on making my own customs, maps, and just hang out with other people who love Heroscape."

Part 2: Punctuation and Usage.

There are a few different keys that help with punctuation. They are clearly labeled above. They help turn this:

"Im so excited about wave 7 arent you I cant wait to get my hands on it I wonder if anyone knows anything about it"

"I'm so excited about wave 7, aren't you? I can't wait to get my hands on it! I wonder if anyone knows anything about it?"

Part 3: Using Words, Not Letters That Make the Same Sounds as Words.

This really annoys me. Come on people this isn't your cell phone, you don't have to worry about running out of characters or charging up a huge bill for a long post.

This is just plain wrong:

"U r right man, I can c it now."

It reflects badly on you, and lessens people's respect for you.

This looks much better and tells people you understand the English language.

"You are right man, I can see it now."

The End of the Tutorial.

Thank you for reading and I hope that with these few simple notions you may grow as a contributing member of this society.

NOTE: A few misplaced key strokes is fine. We all make mistakes so don't think things have to be perfect.

2nd Note: Due to an increase in horrible posting, I've reposted this. Hopefully people understand this is not an insult, this is simply an educational post meant to inform.

wk4c Posted this in the thread later and I thought it was worth adding into the rest of the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wk4c View Post
Part 4: Using the Search Button.

Non-search-button users run rampant across this board. An example thread could be:

You want to make a topic about the best video game ever. You don't search it, and post it anyway. Even though the previous thread about this topic was 3 months ago, it's still dominant over yours because it was made first. Maybe use the search button and post on that thread, try to keep it alive. As long as your posting something that might attain to the subject in the first Video Game thread, you should perhaps check with a mod.

However, if the other topic that is similair to your own, has not been posted on for over 4 months, then it's OK to post your thread, perhaps noting the other thread but saying it hasn't been posted in for awhile so you thought it was worthwhile to post another.

Part 5: Threads That Are Worth Something

When considering making a thread, do these 3 things:

1) Check to see if the same thread was made before.
Use the search button. If something comes up to the thread that you were going to post, then use the rules in Chapter 4. If not, then you have the go-ahead. But...

2) Don't post something stupid.
On another forum I frequent, there was an example of this. The title of the thread was "Water/Phones". As I read the opening post, I saw nothing that interested me or anyone else on the board. It simply stated that he had dropped his phone in the water. He wasn't asking a question about it, he was just stating it. How stupid is that? Just, be aware when you post that people don't care unless your actually making a legit question or statement that will give people legit information instead of spamming. [See: Part 6.] And...

3) Use good puncuation in your titles!
Just like Parts 1, 2, and 3. But the title of your thread really gives off the entire essence of the thread. Stupid name = stupid thread to most people, which leads to less respect to you and less posts on your thread.

Part 6: SPAM and Going Off Topic

Don't spam, people. As mentioned in Part 5, threads like "Cheese" are considered spam and will be deleted. Well, same thing goes for posts. It all just makes the moderators/Administrators jobs harder than it already is. If your spamming constantly to rack up your post count, then it's all going to be deleted anyway, and maybe your account with it.

Going off topic is very easy to do, and we all do it. To lessen the amount of threads hi-jacked, consider asking a moderator/administrator to move all the posts not pertaining to the thread's original intent to a SPERATE thread, as long as the posts after the topic change are not spam. If they are spam, then consider asking a moderator or Admin to delete the extra blubber.

Part 7: Finally, Be Nice

Just be nice. Don't be rude, don't try and offend anyone. Sure, debates are OK but don't let them get out of hand. Note that we're all humans here, and although we might not have the same views, we all share a love for heroscape.

Your music's bad and you should feel bad.

My Customs

Better Posting and You Revisited.

Last edited by Miniature Geek; December 8th, 2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old December 27th, 2007, 10:05 PM

thezandcshow has disabled reputation
Juzt lett peeple spehl howw thei wannu spehl.
Translates into:
Just let people spell how they want to spell.

Do I really need a signature?
Old December 27th, 2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezandcshow
Translates into:
Which translates into, "I'm not helping."

My Customs

Old December 27th, 2007, 10:53 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniature Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezandcshow
Translates into:
Which translates into, "I'm not helping."
Thanks MG, there are many of us that appreciate readable posts.
Old December 27th, 2007, 11:18 PM
GW Bush's

Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby!
Such as Billtog.
Old December 27th, 2007, 11:33 PM
has been BANNED

K/H_Addict costs too much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtog
Such as Billtog.
who's that?
Old December 27th, 2007, 11:37 PM
GW Bush's

Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by K/H_Addict
Quote:
Such as Billtog.
who's that?
I don't know, some jerk.
Old December 27th, 2007, 11:44 PM
has been BANNED

K/H_Addict costs too much!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Such as Billtog.
who's that?
I don't know, some jerk.
I see. Perhaps his jerking is why I don't pay attention to him...
Old December 27th, 2007, 11:47 PM
GW Bush's

Quote:
Huh, fancy that.

Hey, Miniature Geek, what's that diamond key next to the space bar?
Old December 27th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Moving to Scapers Online...

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old December 28th, 2007, 12:05 AM

gibberish_47 Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
Moving to Scapers Online...
That has to be the epitome of a well-structured post!

Old December 28th, 2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Huh, fancy that.

Hey, Miniature Geek, what's that diamond key next to the space bar?
Haven't the foggiest, you'd be surprised how hard it is to find a keyboard image online worth using.

My Customs

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online