Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old May 15th, 2017, 12:54 AM

Herofly knows what's in an order marker Herofly knows what's in an order marker
Herofly's Maps

Thank you everyone for the great feedback, I've completely overhauled the map to reflect all the advice I was given. I'd appreciate help play testing this version if you have some time available.

My Maps:

Defiled Wellspring

Deep within an overgrown ruin, a wellspring, once pure and untouched, has been conquered by the Marro swarm. Their touch has tainted and defiled the pool, twisting its power for their own gain. What was once an oasis of life and vitality, is now a poisoned swamp. Countless armies of Vipers and Primadon have tried in vain to reclaim the land, but none have succeeded, leaving their treasures for the Marro to claim.

Sets: RotV, SotM, Castle

Last edited by Herofly; May 27th, 2017 at 01:48 AM. Reason: New map version
Old May 15th, 2017, 01:30 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Herofly's Maps

That looks really cool (a lot better than my maps when I started out)! One question, does the Glyph of Brandar have a specific power you were thinking of?

Welcome to the site!

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old May 15th, 2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Goomonkey View Post
That looks really cool (a lot better than my maps when I started out)! One question, does the Glyph of Brandar have a specific power you were thinking of?
They are going to be used as treasure glyphs.
Old May 15th, 2017, 01:38 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I like it a lot. Thank you for sharing with us!

It's thematic and elegant-looking on the table. Stylistically, it looks like a tournament map, and I like how you used the columns for LoS blockage. It looks like it might favor ranged pods standing on the high ground near the center, and melee would really have to slog to get across.

I like the placement of the side glyphs. That's an effective combined use of terrain, obstacles, and space.

Welcome, and I look forward to the next one!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 15th, 2017, 01:45 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Always good to see new players to the game. On your map, I'd just note that the roads don't really go anywhere in terms of what the road bonus offers you. That is fine with me, the road bonus isn't always something that should be incorporated into a map. Only if you don't plan on making that a feature the theme might come through a bit better if the 'paths' are broken up a bit more. Try switching out some of the road tiles for swamp tiles and it will look like the roads are all broken up.
Old May 15th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
It looks like it might favor ranged pods standing on the high ground near the center, and melee would really have to slog to get across.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Always good to see new players to the game. On your map, I'd just note that the roads don't really go anywhere in terms of what the road bonus offers you. That is fine with me, the road bonus isn't always something that should be incorporated into a map. Only if you don't plan on making that a feature the theme might come through a bit better if the 'paths' are broken up a bit more. Try switching out some of the road tiles for swamp tiles and it will look like the roads are all broken up.
I agree with the above points. Elevation may favor ranged armies a little too much so close to the startzone, but if you decide to playtest the map, you could see whether or not that is an actual concern.

And as stated, the road has aesthetic purposes but doesn't functionally help developing an army very well...but it seems to be that that was intended. If that is the purpose, than that should be fine!

Overall it's still very well done for a first go, keep up the good work!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old May 15th, 2017, 05:10 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Defiled Wellspring is definitely off to a good start. It definitely has a great theme, but I don't think it's quite tournament-worthy yet.

I think that the biggest improvement that could be made to the map is giving each player more incentives to contest the middle. The power and treasure glyphs are a good start, but the center of the map is very flat. The highest point on the map can be reached from the starting zone within a turn by move 5 and 6 figures. This really helps ranged figures, which can camp and force melee figures to approach them.

I'd love to see the road pieces rearranged so that they expedite movement from one starting zone to the other. I also think that the highest points of the map should be moved so that they're about an equal distance from each starting zone.
Old May 15th, 2017, 11:11 PM

I've gone ahead and incorporated the feedback I got from everyone. Thank you all very much. I've updated it to reflect the new changes.
Old May 19th, 2017, 01:49 AM

Defiled Wellspring: Now featuring closer Start zones and Battlements!
Old May 23rd, 2017, 01:09 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Hey @Herofly , I've been meaning to stop by here and comment on your map but totally spaced until now! I like how it looks, especially the most recent version you have pictured in the OP. It's been cool to see how its evolution has progressed. I do think that it still favors ranged armies, what with all of the massed height outside the start zones, but the glyphs may be able to help rectify that. Although the ranged armies would still have easy shots at the glyphs. If I had a couple main suggestions for it in its present form, one would be an issue with the glyphs - both take 3 moves to reach by 5 movement figures, while only taking 2 moves to reach by 6 movement figures. This is a huge advantage to any Deathreaver army, which is one of the armies you have to think about the most when designing competitive maps, and that problem is further enhanced by the fact that both glyphs are powerful ones. I would suggest somehow adjusting the map to where it would take either 2 or 3 moves (preferably 2) for both 5 and 6 move figures (4 move figures as well if you can swing it, but that's tough and an army with 4 move figures as its main component will generally accept that it won't have the glyphs early on).

My other suggestion would be to consider the ruins at the sides of the map. Both of them aren't doing a ton right now. You can go out of your way to sneak through them to get to ranged figures on the other side of the map, but I think you could make them more effective for that if you were to adjust them a bit so figures don't have to go so out of their way. You could even use them to cover the glyphs from ranged attacks as well, forcing them to give up their vantage points if they want to get glyph control.

Just a couple thoughts. Overall great job, especially for your first map! Your ability to take feedback offered so far and use it positively has really helped your map grow and shown you skills as a mapmaker!

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old May 23rd, 2017, 01:14 PM

Thank you for the great feedback @BiggaBullfrog , I swapped a few tiles around to allow both 5 and 6 move figures to reach both glyphs on turn two. I also played with the ruins to find a better spot for them, I settled on it being closer to the high ground and giving only partial cover to the glyph.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios