Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old August 23rd, 2009, 08:40 AM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth
Somebody please enlighten me how to mod figures

Ok, so I have quite a few Heroclix figures that I am going to be putting on new bases (found by Spidey'tilIDie), & some of them are just in ridiculous poses or have unnecessary props in them (like Robin doing a side kick from the top of a chimney - maybe he carries it in his utility belt waiting for the opportunity to side kick the bad guy). So I figured I need to do some modifications.

This didn't seem to hard in my head, cut pieces off, some to be rearranged & stuck back on. So I went to my local model shop explained to the chap what I intended & picked up a few supplies. Now for gluing he recommended Humbrol Precision Poly, well after cutting Robin's head, left arm & left leg off, I tried the stuff. I found I had to hold the pieces in place for about 10mins before it was able to stay in position when I put it down. Then after 20 hours it seemed dry but as soon as I touched the parts to test how strong the hold was it came away like it was stuck with spider web.

My purchase at the model shop also include some Tamiya Epoxy Putty (Smooth Surface). I had heard in a few threads people talking about GreenStuff, the model shop guy didn't know what I was talking about & when I explained how it was used he suggested this Tamiya stuff. Ok so the intent was that this would be used when I need to add things, but I figured, after the glue failure, that this stuff is supposed to stick to figure without glue so why couldn't I use it to stick Robin back together? Well I didn't need to hold the pieces in place for 10mins, but I did leave it for 18hours (instructions said 12hours was the cure time). Now after a few tentative touches on Robin's newly aligned leg it seemed that I had a solution so I decided to test it a little further & it started coming away at from the putty. Damn! I estimate that a normal game would probably put more pressure on the figure than I used, especially considering this leg was going to be supporting the whole figure. The head & arm I could probably leave well enough alone & get away with it. So tell me, is this how it supposed to be? with GreenStuff I mean?

Now the model shop guy did show me some other stuff similar to the Tamiya Epoxy Putty from their very small Gameswork range, but he said that this Tamiya stuff did the same job & you get more for your money. There weren't any labels on this Gameswork stuff it was just in a generic GW cardboard back hanging display pack. Does anybody know this stuff? Will this do the job better?

Somebody clever that does modding well should put together a tutorial for the uninformed like myself. The tutorial should list all the required materials & substitutes for when those aren't available, & should also include tips & techniques.

Please somebody help me out as a matter of urgency, & then seriously think about doing the tutorial, which should then be stickied.

Cheers
Old August 23rd, 2009, 08:54 AM
a lot of people... think I'm a girl

tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Somebody please enlighten me how to mod figures

I just use Crazy Glue
It dries as plastic so I figured they were meant to be together, but I don't know, I'm no master custom creator.

I love birdies and butterflies and rainbows and unicorns and glitter.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:11 AM

Syvaris knows what's in an order marker Syvaris knows what's in an order marker

Super glue is fine, let it dry a little first (20-30 seconds) before trying to put the pieces together, crazy glue works well also. No clue about greenstuff etc as I have not used any yet, any one want to help there?
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:05 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Yep, I use superglue from Home Depot, always seems to do the job. Though I've found that less is more with the stuff. The more glue, the longer you have to hold the piece in place. Just use a little and it should dry fairly quickly.

-insert signature here-
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:22 AM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth

It sounds like your hobby shop guy new more about larger plastic models than minis.

As others have said, super/crazy glue is your best bet for bonding pieces together. It won't take much time at all for the glue to set, and the bond is reasonably strong. You can also get an accelerant that will speed the drying time enough to bridge small gaps and the like, but you have to be careful with that stuff.

I use a product called Aves Fixit Sculpt for filling gaps and such.
http://www.avesstudio.com/html/fixit_sculpt.html

It's reasonably similar to Green Stuff. You should be able to find Green Stuff online as well (I think one of the site's sponsors sells some). Both of them provide a good bond, much better than the one you've been getting with the stuff you're using. I don't know about the GW stuff you saw (I refuse buy any of their products) it was probably Green Stuff though, I know they make some.

I'm working on a tutorial for the custom figure from my contest, that you might find helpful.

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store
Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:12 PM

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Plain old super glue? Wow, it seems I always look the harder solutions. I don't know what crazy glue I haven't heard of that. I'll ask around for it.

Where do you normally purchase Fixit Sculpt from, is it art supply stores? Postage is the killer for me from online stores considering i live in Australia.

Thanx for the assist guys. I will get some super glue today.

Cheers
Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:37 PM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
Where do you normally purchase Fixit Sculpt from, is it art supply stores? Postage is the killer for me from online stores considering i live in Australia.
Heh, sorry I forgot how insane shipping is there I'm pretty sure Fixit Sculpt is only available online. Your best bet would be to try the GW stuff if it not to expensive, see if it works.

Or try to find a gaming store, they might carry Green Stuff. Try asking for Kneadite (I think that's what Green Stuff's real name is) if they don't know what you're talking about. 'Green Stuff' could be an American/British nickname that never made it's way Down Under.

EDIT: C(K)razy Glue and Super Glue are just brand names of the same stuff (Cyanoacrylate). They might not sell Krazy Glue in Australia, I don't really know.

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store

Last edited by Soundwarp SG-1; August 23rd, 2009 at 06:45 PM. Reason: I'm a wild and Krazy guy.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:23 PM

Cheers again Soundwarp
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Crazy glue is just super glue.
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Crazy glue is just super glue...
...that's gone insane.

Jim

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Assuming the Missionary Position

Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby!

Green Stuff sounds like Mighty Putty...

Drumline3469 is Doc Brown...
aboard <<<Oblivion>>> ...
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:25 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I have used the Tamiya Epoxy Putty but not to adhere parts together. It is not as good as Green Stuff because it starts its initial cure too quickly but takes a good amount of time for its final cure. Its basic use is to fill cracks in Radio Control cars. You have to keep your fingers wet when using it and it takes some getting used to but it does work. The one thing I have found with it is that even when completely dry it is soft and pliable.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions