Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old October 29th, 2017, 02:43 PM

Ssk0909 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Is 2v2 any fun?

Hi everyone

Usually, when I play board games, I have 3-4 friends come.over. This, of course, means that 2 player games rarely get to rhe table.

I tried playing Heroscape "free for all" with 3 and 4 players, but it did'nt really work as well as I had hoped. Everyone just played super defensively and campes in the starting zones.

But how about playing 2 vs 2? Has anyone tried this with good results? And how do you keep track of which units are friendly and hostile?
Old October 29th, 2017, 05:00 PM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Is 2v2 any fun?

Free-for-all is my least favorite way to play Heroscape. The only way FFA even works is if you have some central objective to provide a sort of king-of-the-hill focus.

2v2 is my favorite way to play! (Well I probably enjoy 3v3 slightly more just for the all out fun factor.) Talking strategy with teammates, high fiving teammates for good rolls, and working together are all just so enjoyable. This is by far the most often way Heroscape is played at my house.
Old October 29th, 2017, 05:04 PM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I will also point out that you really need turn markers that get passed around after rolling initiative. Give #1 to highest roll. Give #2 to highest roll on opposite team. Give #3 to teammate of #1. Give #4 to teammate of #2. It really needs to alternate so both teammates don't go before both opponents. Turn markers keep it clear whose turn it is and keeps it movin smoothly. Trust me on this one.
Old October 29th, 2017, 05:53 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

I agree that 2v2 is one of my favorite ways to play. We've done team tournaments a couple times here with our monthly thingies and the team format is by far one of our most highly attended and enjoyed. A fun variant on 2v2 that we did once was random teams - everyone picks an army and then you do a roll-off to see who is on what team. It's a fun alternative to drafting an army together with pre-planned synergies (which is still super fun too!).

I agree with bmon that it's important to switch up the turn order between teams, especially if you guys are just starting out. That way two players can't just hammer on important enemy units before the other team gets a chance to react.

Also, welcome to the site!!

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old October 29th, 2017, 07:30 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Team games are loads of fun, as the others have pointed out. It's not too difficult to remember what units belong to who because everyone should have their respective army cards in front of them. Just don't let two people draft the same units (as in, don't let two people use the Marro Stingers or something). If two folks want to use the same Unique Hero, I'd suggest marking the bases somehow. I know some folks will even give the egde of the base a different color to help distinguish players. Have fun!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old November 1st, 2017, 09:57 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Welcome to the site!

The vast majority of my games are 2v2 scenarios - it's my favorite way to play Heroscape. My groups never have a problem keeping track of units because we almost never have the same units in different armies.
Old November 1st, 2017, 05:26 PM
Self-Destructive Shellfish

L0B5T3R wears ripped pants of awesomeness L0B5T3R wears ripped pants of awesomeness L0B5T3R wears ripped pants of awesomeness L0B5T3R wears ripped pants of awesomeness L0B5T3R wears ripped pants of awesomeness L0B5T3R wears ripped pants of awesomeness L0B5T3R wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Welcome to the site friend! I play only C3Gscape and my group plays a lot of FFA. When we do Deathmatch FFA we play to a point total. So you take the hero's cost and divide it by their life. That total is how many points a player will get when they inflict a wound to said hero. This keeps everyone offensive, although it does favor autowounders.

Some of my buddies really like 2v2 also. We mostly play objectives like capture the flag or my favorite king of the hill.
Old November 1st, 2017, 09:37 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

It's if nothing else a great way to pair strategies that boost Friendly units over just ones You Control. Romans and 10th Reg team-up for days.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old November 1st, 2017, 10:54 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

The Gang of Four often finds itself minus a player. 99.9% of the time, we prefer to have one of us play 2 Armies (with 2 sets of OMs) against 2 armies, each commanded by one of the remaining 2 Gang members.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 12:23 PM

Ssk0909 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Hi everyone.
Thanks for welcoming me, and thanks for all the great feedback. Really appreciate it
Old November 3rd, 2017, 06:01 PM

chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I love FFA for when I want goofy fun things to happen, 2v2 is extremely cutthroat like a 1v1 and is definitely fun!
Old December 8th, 2017, 08:18 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

As my fellow local group pals have mentioned above, most of our games are 2 vs 2 team games. For a look at some of our adventures, see our very long thread in this General Discussion site section on The New York City Gang of Four thread!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion