Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum
Misc Customs Project Forum A subforum for all project based customs that generate numerous threads related to the same project.

Old June 17th, 2017, 10:00 PM

chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness
The Soulscape Project- Converting the Dark Souls game to HS

Hey all, been awhile since posting in the customs section, but I cant think of a better way to get back into custom making than by melding my favorite board game with my favorite video game series. I am SO glad that the creators of the board game produced some high quality minis that meet expectations.

Projects Goal
The goal of this project is to create custom army cards that are both faithful to the dark souls characters and lore while respecting and meshing with Heroscape- Both classic AND C3V. The idea is that anyone willing to buy the expensive(But I think reasonable) board game and get them painted/scapes ready would be able to plug and play with a collection of classic/C3V. As the expectation is having the full set, their will likely be synergies between the units in this project. The project will ensure that every unit is playable with just one set, however for certain common heroes a second set will likely be optimal.

As C3V comes out with things, the idea would also be to change cards when needed, if a conflict existed- To maintain the ability to seamlessly mesh this set with any collection. Of course ultimately anyone can do what they want with tweaking units and choosing to change them when playing at home, but the idea is to have a well play tested tried and true version on here for people.

Lastly, as more figures are released for expansions, many of which have already been announced, I plan on adding them as well. This project will only ever incorporate actual Dark Souls Minis.

Process
The process, and format of this post/thread will essentially be me compiling ideas, and ultimately posting the rough drafts of units, playtests, bouncing ideas off people here, and listening to feedback. Feedback will be huge- Initially the feedback of those familiar with the games will be the most essential, helping translate abilities, determine attributes, and generals. Later, people who have no idea about the games will definitely be useful to objectively comment on how they mesh with classic scapes/C3V

This will be much more fleshed out in the weeks to come, but I wanted to at least get the post together and get the ball rolling.

Current Drafts/Ideas by unit:
Here are pictures of the units and rough draft cards. Some are very bare bones and will be filled in as we develop, update, and playtest them.

Ornstein and Smough
Meant to be a good and viable picks solo, but a potent hero team when taken together. Need some playtesting for sure to get them right, especially as a team.

Belfry Gargoyle
One of the best looking minis, but pretty sure it wont fit on a base.

Titanite Demon
Could probably fit on a base, albeit sketchily. Valkrill Demon with terrible movement but strong stats/long range special. Will need a lot of testing and tinkering with numbers I suspect to make it fun to play with and good without being too overstatted to compensate.

Silver knights
Currently thinking they will be higher point, elite common heroes who follow Jandar- The idea to these is that they can form a "squad" each turn incorporating melee and range units. For the archers, an ability that triggers whenever a small or medium unit enters X spaces of them, as long as no other enemy figure is in that range, where you d20 roll to get to place their unit one or two spaces away(which would force them to retry to enter and have to dodge again). This would perfectly match their feel in the game and provide a new ability thematic with the other ideas I have for some units.

Boreal Outrider Knight
Rough draft version is more or less where we want him. Ideas of snow/ice related synergy was thrown around too.

Dancer of the Boreal Valley
A very strong unit with an enrage mechanic. Will surely need testing as well, but is meant to be similar to a dragon in terms of power and threat.

Hollow Soldiers/crosbowmen/axemen
Not quite sure what to do with them to make them interesting, but they should certainly be low point low power. My instinct is common heroes similar to my idea for silver knights, only here you would also have the option of a third unit type. In theory they would certainly be common squads but seeing as the idea is for people to only need one set and they share a model type, I think common heroes that inter bond is the only choice. As for abilities, thats the question. The large hollow soldier could possibly be an uncommon hero thats low power to give the army some longevity.

Winged Knight
Rough draft version is roughly where we want him. Meant to be one of the more basic units in the set, but still with a semi unique ability.

Sentinels
Meant to be a low order marker investment bodyguard type unit, some thought needs to be put to making sure they arent too strong with an obvious partner like Raelin.

The Player Character classes- While it would be easy to put together a generic package for each of these- I feel like keeping them basic but with something flavorful related to them ostensibly being the player character would be smart. Perhaps they begin the game with an "Estus" Token that is like a potion of healing. I don't think we should make them actually undead. Obviously in the game they are, but listing them as such in the HS terms seems wrong. They could still have a dark sign related ability though. As opposed to giving them names or just calling them their class name "Knight of Astora" or whichever location we choose would make sense to give them some identity without making a name up.

A great idea a friend had is to incorporate names of items from the game a class could use as their ability names in some cases, such as hornet ring, ring of steel protection etc.

Knight
Could have been a human champion, but I picture him as being a more solo unit since the knights dont really need love.

Herald
Possibly have reach? If we werent using estus, could have a heal, but otherwise can maybe have a lightning spear enchant or something like that.

Assasin of Carim
I really, really, really dont like the idea of 4 abilities in general, but she felt a little naked with only 3 considering phantom walk just made sense to have and she needs the Estus ability. I think I managed to keep it terse enough to be a forgivable venture from that rule. I like the idea of her being relatively fragile, but a quick in-and-out hitman that strikes at the unprepared. While a strong payoff, her backstab is quite hard to use in a competitive setting without planning/setting things up, considering even in bonding armies they can just leave an X on the hero. The ring gives her a pretty essential coping mechanism vs. range to not get melted instantly while not encroaching on drakes territory, I also think it almost perfectly translated the rings ingame power.

Warrior of Forossa
Simple but I think quite interesting. With Estus, you play an interesting game of trying to keep his ring active but have him stay alive. The challenge ability is interesting because its taunting onto a unit that can A. Heal and B. Benefits to an extent from being wounded. Because you cant attack on a turn that you use Estus it avoids what might be an unfair scenario of getting the attack buff then healing to safety. The main current design choice I question is him bonding with dreadgul raiders. I'd be curious what people think.

Thoughts on Expansion units-
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by chaoserver; September 27th, 2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old June 17th, 2017, 11:20 PM

Apotheox is surprisingly tart
Re: The Soulscape Project- Converting the Dark Souls game to

[Phantom Apotheox summoned]

Nice to see someone starting this to make use of those amazing minis. I like to make customs for random characters that I'll probably never play with (lol), so I've had these two typed up for a while. Here's my first interpretation of Ornstein and Smough:

Dragonslayer Ornstein
Spoiler Alert!

Executioner Smough
Spoiler Alert!

I chose Jandar because of their loyalty to Gwyn, who would probably be favored by Jandar more than other Archkyrie. That and the aesthetics of Anor Londo scream Jandar. Castles, knights, praise the sun, and all that other good stuff that Jandar dreams about at night.

I want two players on the same team to be able to draft one of each so they can combo them together, but as is, the only thing stopping both players on a team from drafting both (and thus double dipping with the healing and increased damage ) is not having 2 sets of O&S

Funnily enough, destroying Ornstein first is probably still the best strategy, since the "Whirlwind Assault" Smough would gain might have a bit of redundancy and overlap with his special attack, whereas Ornstein would gain a more varied range of target selection than Smough.

320 combined points should leave some room for at least one squad of Silver Knights or maybe some Hollow Soldiers (for 400 point games), and allow more units at 450, 500, etc.

As for bonding these guys with Silver Knights, I say neigh. You never fight them together, and there is no lore justification for bonding (aside from belonging to the same kingdom, which isn't enough to qualify in my opinion). Not everything that fits thematically needs bonding. Bonding is one of the best mechanics you can use to hint at a narrative between different units, and IIRC, there is no direct narrative between O&S and the Silver Knights. In fact, Dark Souls boils down to a string of mostly solo enemy encounters with rarely any sort of "synergistic" cooperation between them. Ornstein and Smough being the most iconic exception. I feel like any Heroscape adaptation should reflect this feeling. However, those that do work together should definitely have synergy, such as bonding. I hope you agree, but that's my on that matter.
Old June 18th, 2017, 12:22 AM

chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Great first post here!

You had very similar ideas for these two as I did, glad to see the community will probably line up on these guys.

Ornstein:
Ornstein definitely needs to be a legend when it comes to killing dragons, I was thinking 1 attack and 1 defense vs. them but 2 attack may be more thematic.

I was thinking something almost identical to the special attack, with a charge in a straight line, though I was thinking that it would end when he hit something but would be something ridiculous like 8 movement(Since damn does he go far when he uses it in the game) would obviously need testing and maybe need to involve removing an OM since its pretty strong.

Him being placed on smough is definitely the way to go, and fully healing him was what I was thinking as well. The buff he gives is the question. I know in the game they grow but I'm definitely not a fan of altering sizes when he's placed though.

Smough:
I was thinking even higher points for him/more attack because dayum look at that mallet. The human hate is very interesting and the special attack fits too. Curious what others think though since smough seems like less of a no brainer than ornsteins package.

In general I had wanted the buffs to be a bit more interesting when they died because of how much they get changed in the boss fight, but thats probably too lofty and something along the lines of what you came up with is probably where I'll settle.

I definitely didn't plan on them bonding with the silver knights- I think the silver knights will be elite common heroes that can bond to some extent with one another, forming a squad almost but where they can mix and match turns with the archers. I view O/S as battling pretty much by themselves. I kind of like the idea of smough smashing squaddies while Ornstein dashes in at higher priority targets, especially if they are dragons.

As for which general, ooh boy. Smough definitely doesn't fit jandar IMO- He is a badddd dude, a cannibal who also shows little regard for his comrade. Ornstein would be a Jandar fit, but that raises the question if them having different generals makes sense. Definitely open to other opinions on this one and general for these units in general.

Posting some more pics to the thread now, and will update with some ideas if I have time.

Last edited by chaoserver; June 18th, 2017 at 03:08 AM.
Old June 18th, 2017, 05:23 AM

You're right about Smough's morality being bellow Jandar's standards. A Jandar/Utgar bonded pair would be interesting. Also remember that Einar took in McCreech, but that might just be an exception to the rule. If we're handling this project as the intersection between HS lore and DS lore, then it is possible that Jandar or Einar save Smough from the Chosen Undead and give him a shot at redemption. How realistic is this? Do you think Smough would take it and try to right his course, or would he just defect to his old ways? If the latter, then it's probably best to just throw him in the Utgar bucket.

I agree that the range of Ornstein's lunge should be longer than 5. If 8 is too much, then I think 6 is the absolute lowest we should go. A per the "landing" mechanic, I pictured him piercing multiple figures before stopping at the last one, but stopping at the first one might be closer to what he actually does in the game, even though it would lose its multi-hit quality, which I think we should try to keep (they are "bosses" after all).

As for their base stats, I don't mind what they end up being, as long as they reflect the source material to some degree and keep the duo at around the same power level.

I like the idea of the figures being common heroes. It will probably help build that "duel after duel" vibe I was talking about on top of requiring only one master set. Speaking of which it would be ideal if we could "package" it as a master set with glyphs, pre-built scenarios, and such, so that you can get a "Dark Souls experience" with the Heroscape system. Some ideas to play around with would be pre-built scenarios with a bonfire system, respawning enemies, etc. These are all auxiliary, of course. Main goal is to make good army cards.

Before I delve into some ideas I have for the other units, I want to state that we should discuss the identity of the units that come out of this project as a cohesive whole. If the figures don't feel dangerous in a Dark Souls way (but still manageable, in a Dark Souls way) then we've only done half our job. I think a coherent theme would strengthen the designs we come up with. Having recurring powers such as Deadly Strike and common hero bonding would enhance the DS feeling. Tell me what you think of these thoughts.

Now some quick ideas for the other units:

Belfry Gargoyle
Spoiler Alert!

Titanite Demon
Spoiler Alert!

Borreal Outrider Knight
Spoiler Alert!

Dancer
Spoiler Alert!

I'll post my thoughts about the rest, including the commons, sometime tomorrow. Glad to have someone to do this with and bounce ideas back and forth.
Old June 18th, 2017, 11:06 AM

O/S
I definitely still need more time to think on the general, but I don't think its unacceptable having them follow two different generals, just a jarring notion at first. He is still too evil for Einar I think- Einar would fit for a warlord, possibly bandits etc. or anyone who was willing to kill for conquest but Smough goes way beyond that- Cannibalizing people, reveling in his work, and not honoring his fallen comrade. That brand of evil just seems too much.

The numbers for his dash will need to be tweaked throughout play testing no doubt. Even at a high range though it will be an interesting variation of Mimrings special that plays the opposite, depositing him into a throng of enemies as opposed to picking them off from afar which can be better if you want to reach something- say a dragon- and worse if hes exposing himself to too many enemies. Having thought that out I do think its fair for it to hit every enemy it passes through even at a higher range. For some reason in my head that seemed too powerful at first but since theres a range version on a fairly cheap master set hero I think its good to go.

Themes
Yes the plan is to weave in themes in the set- The few examples so far being common hero bonding, and whatever we do with the player characters, be it Estus or a dark sign ability they all have. The main thing is keeping units varied and distinct while incorporating those themes. The Silver Knights and hollow soldiers present very similar offerings, but because of the power level difference and whichever abilities are installed they will have very different feels, especially since there are more hollow soldiers, representing the more significant showing in the game of being an endless rabble. As far as being tough but manageable, thats a big focus of the project, as otherwise we'd have failed doing the game iteration justice.

Quick Silver Knight Archer Thought
On the subject of themes, I mentioned before that I thought the sentinels activating when the first enemy enters their aura(either to move and attack, though it wouldn't be worded as an attack most likely- Or it could just be to move and get adjacent, blocking them off)- An idea for the archers could be giving them a similar kind of aura to replicate the feeling of their most iconic area, the Anor londo bridge- triggering what could either be an attack, a d20 roll to do damage, or some kind of d 20 roll that would essentially make the unit need to "dodge" being placed a space or two of your choosing, hampering their progression and subjecting them or any other advancers to the ability triggering again. The more I think about it the more I like the non damaging dodge mechanic, very much fits fighting them.

Glyphs/Scenarios
I'm not sure glyphs are needed, and I certainly wouldn't design any units around them. Scenarios lend themselves very well to DKS, and while they are far from my focus, if there is interest from people we could perhaps explore this, but either way we are a long way from it.

Gargoyle
Interesting take, sounds about right. I do agree about avoiding cramped boxes wherever possible, so we will see if theres any way to work in some kind of "reward" ability since its very thematic to both this boss and the idea of souls gameplay in general. The figure is incredible and imposing, a sturdy body whether we use OSD is a must. Hopefully he can somehow fit on a HS base but I'm skeptical still.

Titanite
His movement should be terrible yes, and on a 1v1 or smaller map the idea of him being strong, and lurking near the edge because of how long set up makes sense, but 2 move is probably so weak to the point of not ending up being fun to play, especially on any kind of big map unless you took Saylind. I think the general idea is right though. One idea on how to fix how horrible setting him up would be, would be to have the leap not need an enemy present. It could also be a reveal X ability so its consistent but not excessive and him leaping across the map wouldn't happen. I think the range can be shorter on it, though I have to reference how far he jumps in the game again. A final option for mitigating his poor movement could be a once per game movement boost the first turn you take with him. Might be inelegant though, but similar to death chasers. Either way the general idea feels right. Balancing his lore with keeping him fun will be the challenge.

Boreal Knight
I strongly have been leaning towards a stacking debuff. I don't think its too graceless, and would be very similar to the marro gnids in terms of precedent for an ability like it. I think what you've proposed is very close to what could and should be used, and was pretty much exactly what I was thinking for a stacking debuff. I'm not sure phantom walk is needed or very thematic, but either a whirlwind special, frenzy(which fits him being a frenzied beast) could work and also would occasionally have him outright kill a hero in a frenzied rage out of the blue like has undoubtedly happened to most players their first time encountering him, the rest of the card aside from the frostbite should certainly be kept simple though.

Dancer
Glad you agree- The fact we can work the enrage idea(which could be convoluted and wordy in other iterations) into her special attack is something I love, as it keeps things very simple and has a lot of implications for how little text it will take up. On that note, just having disengage instead of her attack not incurring leavings is a good call. The idea of a single grab move when she's calmed fits, and makes her play interesting, with more focused attacks early while being able to cleave masses down later on wildly. Grab or no, I like the direction she's headed, just need to make her be sturdy enough to not have the enrage mechanic seldom activate, which is fine because I view her as being pretty costly- In terms of power like a dragon that swaps flying for disengage, and needs to wait for her ability to mow down squads.

Last edited by chaoserver; June 18th, 2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old June 18th, 2017, 11:11 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Good stuff.

For the Hollow. If you go common heroes, there would still be three different cards correct? It would be cool if they all had one power to link them together somehow and then each have a power to represent that type of Hollow figure.
Maybe something that lets them function more like a squad, like the Elementals.
Old June 18th, 2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Good stuff.

For the Hollow. If you go common heroes, there would still be three different cards correct? It would be cool if they all had one power to link them together somehow and then each have a power to represent that type of Hollow figure.
Maybe something that lets them function more like a squad, like the Elementals.
Thanks!
And to be clear, thats already the idea- Think similar to the Thralls in C3V, you could activate up to 3(probably guaranteed unlike the thralls), but mix and match. Say you want to throw some soldiers up front but take a pot shot at a unit with one of the archers etc. Likewise the Silver Knights would play this way but far sturdier.

All in all: They will all be different heros and cards, and innately have the ability to form a squad each turn.

Quick note on ornsteins Special and the O/S duo-
We need to make sure he actually ends his movement at the end of the charge. What I mean by this is, although unlikely there could be a situation where there are no adjacent spaces available. We need to work in that there must be a space adjacent to the last figure affected to use the special at all.
Here is my rough fix, would love to hear others thoughts on proper wording etc.

LIGHTNING CHARGE SPECIAL ATTACK
Range Special. Attack 4.
Choose a figure with an empty adjacent space within 8 clear line of sight spaces in a straight line from Ornstein. All figures on those 8 spaces who are in line of sight are affected by Ornstein’s Lightning Thrust Special Attack. Roll 4 attack dice once for all affected figures. Affected figures roll defense dice separately. Place Ornstein on an empty space adjacent to the chosen figure. Ornstein will not take any leaving engagement attacks when making this movement.

Also the more I think about it, Ornstein shouldnt give smough the ability to attack all units around him, as its very similar to what his special attack already provides. Full heal and some kind of stat buff for sure. A flat 1 defense and 1 attack would probably work and keep the card from being too wordy which I very much would like to avoid. If we wanted to give Ornstein that ability and smough something else that could be interesting but as they are both strong heros(and if hes wild, smough even bonds with dreadguls) and a full heal plus a stat buff is already quite strong as I suspect playtesting will show.

I'm drafting up some rough draft cards for them and fixing some wordings. I will be away till tuesday, able to check the thread and weigh in but not develop much, but thereafter I will piece together cards for people to look over, as a visual representation might help flesh out peoples feelings about them.

Also, minorly- With MSE I am noticing Dragonslayer Ornstein doesnt fit in the name box. What do people do with longer names that spill out?

Last edited by chaoserver; June 18th, 2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old June 19th, 2017, 07:47 AM

Sounds good.

A Thought on Special Attacks
The following is about special attacks that are designed to represent a small subset of the character's in-game moveset (ex: Ornstein's dash). This is not about special attacks that are meant to convey a large portion of the character's fighting style (ex: TDemon's Lightning Bolt). Since DKS enemies don't use these "special attacks" as often, we need to make most of their HS versions powerful, but only situationally powerful. What this means is that they are not the most powerful option every time. As a general rule of thumb for most units, normal attacks should consist of around 66% of the attacks that the player chooses to make, while other attacking options should be around 33%. Although ideal at best, I think this would reflect how it feels in DKS.

Having collected some thoughts so far and agreed on an gameplay identity for some of the units, here are some tentative stat cards to work with:

Soulscape Project First Iteration

Ornstein
Spoiler Alert!

Smough
Spoiler Alert!

Borreal Knight
Spoiler Alert!

Dancer
Spoiler Alert!

Titanite Demon
Spoiler Alert!
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:06 AM

I've got some of these drawn up on my home pc with (what I think) is proper wording. Will post them Tuesday when I'm back. I think I pared O/S down to somewhat reasonable lengths.

Boreal Knight- I think I might have missed what you had posited, or since the ideas similar, overlaid my idea when reading yours. I think the Knight when wounding a (unique) hero, should put a counter on them that reduces move and defense by 1, much like how the gnids work. The effect could be kept fairly short this way and the counters wouldn't be treated as wounds but would be something different.

While Boreal frenzy would be cool and I'm not strictly opposed, I share the instinct that we can probably just keep it to frenzy. Because we are establishing themes, we'd be putting boreal frenzy on the dancer and (when he's released) vordt as well and while snow does tie to the boreal valley I don't think the ability would feel as thematic on dancer and V.

As for generals, you're right, really the only case for putting boreal knight in Jandar would be because he's technically a knight and would look fine aesthetically among the ranks. However upon actually thinking about it, a corrupted crazed beast definitely isn't a fit for Jandar, but Vydar could easily shrug that off and as you said relate. Vydar it is.

Dancer
Very interesting suggestion with putting frenzy on her, it certainly could present extremely interesting dilemmas. My only concern with putting it on her is just how much damage she could do when enraged and frenzying. While very very in line with her fight, seeing how many times she chains her whirls together it could be too much, though I suppose aubrien archers with height or a glyph can dish out similar damage for less points.

Impale seems a bit off to me, because its an instead of attacking ability and only a 25% chance its hard to justify not laying into them with her high attack instead. Also when it did work it would be pretty insanely good. I'm not sure quite what direction to go in but that iteration seems off.

My current thought is to test with frenzy and tweak her as needed to make it work, rethink impales, and give 3 attack on her special, given how powerful it would be at 4 attack, enraged, and potentially frenzying. Once we get her down right, she should be a very interesting and fun unit.

Titanite Demon
I agree we should playtest at 2 move, it is a solid design challenge to make a unit that has such an incredible weakness both fun and good. The d20 roll governing the vault sounds fine, target-less or not. Hard to say too much on this guy in comparison to other units without play testing him since A. We don't know if the 2 move makes him completely unfun and B. A tradeoff for his weakness is that he's an otherwise unbelievably strong package, and we need to make sure he's not too well compensated for his poor movement.
Old June 19th, 2017, 06:51 PM

Borreal Knight
I'm down with that. I have a few questions on your idea, though.
-What is the maximum amount of markers that can be placed on a card?
-How long would a marker last and what are its conditions for removal, if any?

Dancer
I wasn't too sure with Impale myself. I was going for something mechanically akin to Grimnak's Chomp, but that fact that Impale is "instead of attacking" leaves it in a weird place and at odds with the rest of her kit. You voiced my concern well. Here's something that works a lot better, and that I think reflects her in-game grab attack more accurately:

Grasp
After moving and before attacking, choose one small or medium figure adjacent to Dancer of the Borreal Valley. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll an X or higher, the chosen figure cannot roll any defense dice if attacked with a normal attack by the Dancer this turn. This power cannot be used if there are 4 or more wound markers on this card.

The way it works in DSK is that if she grabs you, while you are helpless in her grasp, she will then impale you with her blade. It's infamous for killing most players outright. With an above average attack roll following a successful d20, this should kill most small to medium heroes. The closest comparison in terms of power is Chomp (which is on a more fragile 120 point figure), but Grasp is less reliable since the damage is determined by the follow up attack instead of it being an assured kill, and it squad figures have the same check difficulty as heroes. However, Frenzy will occasionally give her a another chance per activation.

This is what she would look like:
Spoiler Alert!

If it works out well with her, then we might be able to use this power as a template for other enemies who have a similar grab attack.

Titanite Demon
I'm glad we're on the same page. While thinking about the relationship between a character's locomotion and how it's abstracted on the game board, I realized that some of my assumptions might have been incorrect. For example, after recalling the Anor Londo Sentinels' slow and heavy movement, my first instinct was to give them a move of 4 like the Knights of Weston, as they were the most similar unit to come to mind. But then I remembered how SLOW they ACTUALLY were. Lumbering slow. They might even be slower than the Titanite Demon in-game, for which my first instinct was a move of 2 or 3. Without discussing what we should do with the Sentinels, perhaps a move of 3 would actually make sense for the Titanite Demon. Let's take a look at the classic units. The Granite Guardians have 3 move (the lowest consistent move value in classic 'scape), but they try to compensate for it by having the ability to climb height as if they had a move of 5 (a-la Sgt. Drake Grappling Hook). I have been sticking with 2 for the Titanite Demon because I thought it would be closer to the source material, but if we find 3 to be more faithful or just better in every sense, then I have no problem balancing him around that.

That brings another thing to mind. Something to consider when balancing a unit around a specific stat is how the unit's power will change when that core stat is changed. If you have control of the Glyph of Velda and TD starts hopping around with 4 or 5 move, what will the implications of this be? Is this something we should be concerned with, or is it a natural and healthy quirk of the game system that promotes variety and creates interesting and fun situations? Will being able to draft him with a custom unit that increases his movement break him? The more extreme we make his move value, the more drastic the change to his power will be when it gets boosted. Just something to think about.
Old June 19th, 2017, 08:10 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Those are some absolutely gorgeous minis. Interested to see how their in-game powers translate to Heroscape.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old June 20th, 2017, 04:37 PM

Knight- 3 markers which is what he would start with, and they never come off. It would be much like the gnids in my mind.

Dancer- We are definitely headed in the right direction. I like the package, now its just a matter of numbers. I think she is currently too strong, with her life/defense package nearly rivaling charos, a better attack and a very useful ability against small figures/squads- With frenzy tacked on thats some serious power. Sure we could boost her points, but I think she'd be fine with her defense and possibly attack knocked by 1.

TD-3 move would make me feel more confident in him being fun, make us weight his power in other areas less significantly, and probably be fine in terms of source material. 2 move also means a full turn just to move up a level. Glyphs shouldn't be a concern for his design IMO, it would be more of a quirk, much like other slow units suddenly being fast. If power level is a concern, it shouldn't be, since it wouldn't be nearly as strong as an army of commons getting an attack or defense glyph.

Part of HS is that even slow units with the right augmentations can be somewhat fast. Morgoloth for example will buff titanites move to 4. I think thats alright as its still considered slow, and considering the granite guardians ability, he'd still be the slowest unit in the game. Definitely something to monitor though.

Expansions
I added a section for expansions. Not to post about since who knows when they are being released but just to get creative juices flowing. One cool thing I will say is that there are more hollows and silver knight types planned. This will expand the armies numbers and variety without needing to buy multiple base games.

A few question to the community
To those familiar with lore- What race are the silver knights and O/S? I dont think O/S are technically giants but because they are either an unnamed raced or demi gods, I think giants is acceptable in their case. With the silver knights however obviously that wouldnt fit. Open to any and all ideas.

To people in general- How do you go about making cards with long names or types. pontiff beast doesnt fit in the MSE editors type for dancer etc. nor does dragonslayer ornstein or dancer of the boreal valley in the title.

Last edited by chaoserver; June 20th, 2017 at 09:20 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum