Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old January 8th, 2019, 09:40 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Flash_19's Maps: New Map 12/9/18!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Also, question to you since you've been doing some bridge maps (with this one and with Braunglayde Bridge): have you considered removing the bridge walls on those maps? It's not something I can speak to with too much (or any) authority, but in the past when I've fantasized building a bridge map, it seems like a way to help balance it to allow easier access to/engagement with the bridge. Of course, on some maps (like Braunglayde) you'd lose that LoS blocking element, so I'm not completely sure it's the right move, but it's something of a thought experiment I thought I'd toss out here.
Before addressing your question... just a note. I would consider Braunglayde Bridge one of the weaker maps on my thread, and one that I wouldn't recommend for a tournament worthy map quite yet. Having said that, I haven't considered removing the walls precisely because of the reason you mentioned. I tried to put a few adjacent tiles next to bridge spaces to allow figures on the bridge to be engaged, but I liked the LOS blocking element that you mentioned. And perhaps I care too much about aesthetics, but I thought it looked kinda funny too...

I haven't considered taking the walls off of Haukeland Marsh... so I dunno. I'd have to think about that.
Yeah, I like the design of Braunglayde, but agree that it's not quite tourney level. It mainly got me thinking along this track again, which started actually when I was looking through Dignan's maps. He's got a ton of stinking awesome bridge maps, but from what I've gathered many still face the dilemmas that bridge maps often do.

Aesthetics makes sense -- I suspect that's the biggest reason for keeping the walls in general since the tiles do look weird without them. And I do like that you've built up ground around the bridge to allow better engagements, though it does still limit it to the single hex. And I guess that making a competitive bridge map will just be tough in general, as having a single lane of road as the (often) highest ground is pretty tough in competitive metas. Now that I think of it, Ch1can0 was really onto something when he made Road Rampage with a wider bridge -- plenty of room for engagements while still keeping the bridge feel. And lower bridges like in Haukeland also do a lot by not making the bridge a high ground power point, but still a focal point.

Anyway, just thinking out loud in your thread. Makes me want to work on a bridge map of my own. Someday ...

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old January 8th, 2019, 10:20 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Yeah, I like the design of Braunglayde, but agree that it's not quite tourney level. It mainly got me thinking along this track again, which started actually when I was looking through Dignan's maps. He's got a ton of stinking awesome bridge maps, but from what I've gathered many still face the dilemmas that bridge maps often do.

Aesthetics makes sense -- I suspect that's the biggest reason for keeping the walls in general since the tiles do look weird without them. And I do like that you've built up ground around the bridge to allow better engagements, though it does still limit it to the single hex. And I guess that making a competitive bridge map will just be tough in general, as having a single lane of road as the (often) highest ground is pretty tough in competitive metas. Now that I think of it, Ch1can0 was really onto something when he made Road Rampage with a wider bridge -- plenty of room for engagements while still keeping the bridge feel. And lower bridges like in Haukeland also do a lot by not making the bridge a high ground power point, but still a focal point.

Anyway, just thinking out loud in your thread. Makes me want to work on a bridge map of my own. Someday ...
You think out loud on my thread anytime you want to Bigga. And totally agree about Road Rampage as far as the bridge is concerned. The world does need some more of your maps too.... ya know, when you're not super busy running ARV contests (*wink wink nudge nudge*), playtesting ARV submission maps, being an SoV judge, running Utah Monthly tournaments....

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old January 19th, 2019, 07:20 PM

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Here's the latest!

Venom:
Requires 1x RotV, 1x RttFF, 1x TJ

"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old January 20th, 2019, 12:33 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Re: Flash_19's Maps: New Map 1/9/19!

Wow!....just wow! The legend of an epic mapmaker has been born.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old January 20th, 2019, 03:33 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Quote:
Here's the latest!

Venom:
Requires 1x RotV, 1x RttFF, 1x TJ
Flash, I'm Hosting an NYCG4 mini-tournament for our soon departing Joris on 2/9. I keep suggesting certain of your maps to chas to build for it, and you keep coming up with new, even better ones.

Congratulations on your latest triumph!
Old January 21st, 2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Wow!....just wow! The legend of an epic mapmaker has been born.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Flash, I'm Hosting an NYCG4 mini-tournament for our soon departing Joris on 2/9. I keep suggesting certain of your maps to chas to build for it, and you keep coming up with new, even better ones.

Congratulations on your latest triumph!
You guys are too kind - seriously, thanks so much! Now that you've buttered me up, guess I'll give you a look at what I worked on today. It's still in drafting stage, but I feel like it's fairly close to where I want it (sorry not all the pictures are great - I wasn't taking them with the intent to post them).

Spoiler Alert!

Old January 22nd, 2019, 07:47 AM

tolchock is surprisingly tart

Quote:
You guys are too kind - seriously, thanks so much! Now that you've buttered me up, guess I'll give you a look at what I worked on today. It's still in drafting stage, but I feel like it's fairly close to where I want it (sorry not all the pictures are great - I wasn't taking them with the intent to post them).
You make amazingly looking maps!
Any chance you make maps "on demand"? ^_^
Old January 22nd, 2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolchock View Post
Quote:
You make amazingly looking maps!
Any chance you make maps "on demand"? ^_^
Thank you very much! Definitely a chance, depending on what you ask for. what did you have in mind?

Old January 22nd, 2019, 05:32 PM

tolchock is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Thank you very much! Definitely a chance, depending on what you ask for. what did you have in mind?
I have written rules for a specific game mode.
And are looking for maps that would be ”perfect”
3 or 4 player, or even 5.
You cand find rules here if you want to read them, if you would be intrested to make a map or two with this game mode in mind

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...01532404556189

Last edited by tolchock; January 22nd, 2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 06:34 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

The new additions look great flash. You have a great eye for heroscape cartography.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old January 22nd, 2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
The new additions look great flash. You have a great eye for heroscape cartography.
Thanks buddy.

Old January 22nd, 2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolchock View Post
Quote:
I have written rules for a specific game mode.
And are looking for maps that would be ”perfect”
3 or 4 player, or even 5.
You cand find rules here if you want to read them.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...01532404556189
I couldn't open the file - it said it was corrupted after I had downloaded it... maybe it's because I was doing it on my phone. I did, however, find your thread about this game format and got the information there that I would need. My inital thoughts are, it sounds very plausible - though I wouldn't recommend a 5 player format unless 1 player was working to protect the "hot spot" from everyone else (building a 5-player free for all would be a pain ). Though I could see that causing minor problems with games if a player felt they were targeted too much by the 5th person...

I have a couple things I'm working on, so it might be a couple weeks before I have something for you designed specifically for that purpose - though I actually do have a couple three player maps in the drafting stage that might work well with that format. Let me think about it and see what I can come up with.

What terrain sets would you like used? I would strongly recommend at least 2 RttFF sets for the road tiles and LOS blockers (though 3 would be ideal for a 3 player map - which is what I'm leaning towards at the moment), and at least 2 Master Sets.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios