Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:00 PM
No good deed goes unpunished

greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boromir96 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by greygnarl View Post
So how is that harder to remember than where the figure started on a normal move?
I don't think it would be that much harder than Acolarh, it does have precedent.
Yes, I forgot about Acolarh. Starting adjacent does have precedent. Starting within an aura sounds messy and it really is something I would rather not see. Maybe its not that bad and wouldn't be a big deal, but its not something I would personally like to see happen. Maybe I'm the only one, in which case my concern would be overriden, I'm sure.
I don't like it either. However, I don't think it's as messy as you mak eit out to be. Doesn't seem messy at all really...

Tournament Armies Played - C3VRP - Customs - Trades

I'm Krug in the Paradox Keep and Augamo on the Sacred Tundra.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:19 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Quote:
SoA, I like the first revision better than the original, but it makes him feel very much like a Warlord. Not sure what to suggest--all of the Warforged heroes so far have had a distinctly original power. Maybe that's what's bugging me about this design--it doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table. Many times that's okay, and maybe it's okay in this case, but I'm not sure how I feel about it.
Something tells me you might've hit on something. If I keep the leadership aspect, but give him a somewhat unique power pertaining to that aspect (that's not too complicated) it'd give the design at least a better factor of interest.

So I'd keep one of his leadership powers (either combat leader or warforged leadership), add a new power, and keep warforged resolve. What about this:

NAME = VANGUARD
GENERAL = VYDAR
PLANET = EBERRON
SPECIES = WARFORGED
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = LEADER
PERSONALITY = INSPIRING
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/5

LIFE = 5
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 2
POINTS = 130/???

COMBAT LEADER

If at least one order marker is on Vanguard, you may add 3 to your initiative roll.

WARFORGED ASSAULT
When Vanguard, or a Warforged Unique Hero you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Vanguard destroys an opponents figure, you may immediately take a turn with a Warforged Common Squad you control. Figures moved by Warforged Assault must be within 8 clear sight spaces of Vanguard prior to moving.

WARFORGED RESOLVE
When Vanguard rolls defense dice against a normal or special attack, add 1 automatic shield to whatever is rolled.

This makes for sort of a canned build when playing, or at least a somewhat limited build.

Kinda going beyond minor changes and into the realm of design reworking.

Am I on something of the right track here, or have I gone completely off the rails.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:27 PM

greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I dislike the name Vanguard on a figure that is not associated with Valguard.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:31 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

A vanguard is a troop at the front lines or the forefront of action or movement.

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroscaper Guy View Post
A vanguard is a troop at the front lines or the forefront of action or movement.
Yes I know, but it's just to similar to Valguard imo.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:38 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
I disagree, especially when there are figures with names like Gladiators/Gladiatrons. It is just fine, imo.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:08 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
I agree with greygnarl, similar names like these are too confusing.

Vanguard is an interesting design, though I'm not a fan of "canning" his build into Warforged armies. The Warforged are already pretty good and I'm not sure they need the help. He gives the theme of a Warforged Leader off well, and does it in a new way, which is a plus.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:15 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
Quote:
SoA, I like the first revision better than the original, but it makes him feel very much like a Warlord. Not sure what to suggest--all of the Warforged heroes so far have had a distinctly original power. Maybe that's what's bugging me about this design--it doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table. Many times that's okay, and maybe it's okay in this case, but I'm not sure how I feel about it.
Something tells me you might've hit on something. If I keep the leadership aspect, but give him a somewhat unique power pertaining to that aspect (that's not too complicated) it'd give the design at least a better factor of interest.

So I'd keep one of his leadership powers (either combat leader or warforged leadership), add a new power, and keep warforged resolve. What about this:

NAME = VANGUARD
GENERAL = VYDAR
PLANET = EBERRON
SPECIES = WARFORGED
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = LEADER
PERSONALITY = INSPIRING
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/5

LIFE = 5
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 2
POINTS = 130/???

COMBAT LEADER

If at least one order marker is on Vanguard, you may add 3 to your initiative roll.

WARFORGED ASSAULT
When Vanguard, or a Warforged Unique Hero you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Vanguard destroys an opponents figure, you may immediately take a turn with a Warforged Common Squad you control. Figures moved by Warforged Assault must be within 8 clear sight spaces of Vanguard prior to moving.

WARFORGED RESOLVE
When Vanguard rolls defense dice against a normal or special attack, add 1 automatic shield to whatever is rolled.

This makes for sort of a canned build when playing, or at least a somewhat limited build.

Kinda going beyond minor changes and into the realm of design reworking.

Am I on something of the right track here, or have I gone completely off the rails.
Hm, that's a little more original, but I feel like I've seen the "if wound is inflicted, take a turn with X" mechanic elsewhere (maybe just a brainstorm thread somewhere). I'm not sure bonding is quite what I had in mind when I said "original."

FWIW, I'm not entirely sure that you'd be wrong to go the solo-hero route, since all of the previous Warforged heroes went that route. The main thing is that whatever route you go it should be distinct and interesting.

-----

Vanguard is a fine warforged-ish name, although it might not be the best one.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:19 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
WARFORGED ASSAULT
Neat idea, but it won't work as-is. The common squad would be taking its turn during the hero's turn, creating turn stacking. It could maybe be reworded to allow for the turn after the hero's turn, but I'd have to think about the potential problems that could create.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:02 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quote:
WARFORGED ASSAULT
Neat idea, but it won't work as-is. The common squad would be taking its turn during the hero's turn, creating turn stacking. It could maybe be reworded to allow for the turn after the hero's turn, but I'd have to think about the potential problems that could create.
Scytale is right of course.

Since this figure seems to be heading into redesign territory rather than just workshopping territory, I suggest you pull him, unless you want to focus on one of the earlier iterations that was more similar to the original idea.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:44 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

See, now I really want to see an Ignaz Phillip Semmelweis custom fig. Who says you don't learn anything hanging around heroscapers.com?

I like "Cadaverous Blight" because it gets across the infection idea, and "Grasp" doesn't really quite, well, grasp that. It could be that he doesn't grab you, anyway, it's just that if you get too close you get infected. The Particles is cool from a history of science perspective, but I think most folks will think "Particle Beam." How about:

Cadaverous Blight
Necrotic Infection
Miasma of Pestilence

Running out of ideas, but it's late on a Friday...
Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:52 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quote:
WARFORGED ASSAULT
Scytale is right of course.

Since this figure seems to be heading into redesign territory rather than just workshopping territory, I suggest you pull him, unless you want to focus on one of the earlier iterations that was more similar to the original idea.
Agreed. I'll pull him and start from what I've gathered here. Thanks for all the help guys, this thread is definitely living up to its name.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards