Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old January 16th, 2015, 02:14 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Old January 16th, 2015, 07:39 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Akden and I are not related. Surely he is the one who takes offense, because I do not. And because he finds the question offensive I will have to fight him.
Now now, remember your New Years resolution to fight less outside the cage.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
On the plus side Hahma, you get double the opportunities to play "intimidating dad" to any future boyfriends/girlfriends they may have.

On topic, apparently the Green Bay Packers' answer to the thread's question is Settlers of Catan.
Sherman, let me explain how that actually works.

The summer before last, my (then) 10 year old daughter went to summer camp. One day I picked her up from after care and one of the counselors told me how great she was, which (of course) I know. But instead of gratitude, mostly I felt like I wanted to punch him in his 19-or-so-year-old face, because. Just because.

So, yeah. It's hard enough with one.
I called it! You are a caged beast.

My daughter is only 8 and I already want to punch everyone, although I may have wanted to punch quite a few before she was born. Still, the number has grown immensely since.
Old January 16th, 2015, 07:50 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Akden and I are not related. Surely he is the one who takes offense, because I do not. And because he finds the question offensive I will have to fight him.
Now now, remember your New Years resolution to fight less outside the cage.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
On the plus side Hahma, you get double the opportunities to play "intimidating dad" to any future boyfriends/girlfriends they may have.

On topic, apparently the Green Bay Packers' answer to the thread's question is Settlers of Catan.
Sherman, let me explain how that actually works.

The summer before last, my (then) 10 year old daughter went to summer camp. One day I picked her up from after care and one of the counselors told me how great she was, which (of course) I know. But instead of gratitude, mostly I felt like I wanted to punch him in his 19-or-so-year-old face, because. Just because.

So, yeah. It's hard enough with one.
I called it! You are a caged beast.

My daughter is only 8 and I already want to punch everyone, although I may have wanted to punch quite a few before she was born. Still, the number has grown immensely since.
You guys got it alright. Fortunately my girls aren't chasing boys yet, so I have some time before having to "Hulk-out"

My buddy at work has 21, 18 and 15 year-old daughters. He makes it a point to scare any boys that the girls bring over. His two oldest have boyfriends that have "made the cut" so to speak with dad.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old January 16th, 2015, 09:30 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Dang...lots of twins spoken of in here but twin nearly teen girls...Good Luck @Hahma
Yeah Japes, it will be interesting to see how things progress into the teen years

They have their moments already at times, but I can imagine there being some patience required on my part in the coming years

I take it you have twins too. I know A3n does.
No just one for me and I know A3n has twins and I am pretty sure I remember someone else here.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old January 16th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

So am I just really lucky having just one (male) child?

Of course, my new wife and I are working on expanding our family. So perhaps I'll have a daughter soon.

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old January 16th, 2015, 11:04 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I do not recommend Xanth as a babysitter.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old January 16th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

I've got 3 daughters and 1 son (so far). Good news is that my oldest daughter is only 10. I've got a while before I get to scare off boyfriends with my sword collection.

On topic:

Played three games of X wing last night. Took three YT2400s for a spin and it actually worked out well. Low attack but with barrel roll these guys are great blockers!

Then took my double shuttles and whisper for a spin. Got destroyed by Lando. Through the whole game he never blanked one dice on an attack roll. I'm not making that up we counted...

Last game my Decimator got ran off the board with a barrage of Ywing and hawk ion turrets.

Good times overall though! Looking forward to scum and villainy soon!

Also finished my imperial assualt campaign with my ten year old. We of course then right away started another campaign with me as the rebels!

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old January 16th, 2015, 06:55 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Club meet last night.

First up was Race for the Galaxy. I came last out of 4. First time I played the game. It has a lot going for a card game & there is seems to be a learning curve that could easily be overcome with more play. I liked the game though so would definitely play again. I am glad I got to play it before purchasing it as I now know it won't get much playtime at my place so it's no use me purchasing it.

Next was Abyss. Another first time game for me. I really enjoyed this one. I only came 3rd (out of 4) but was fun. I did formulate a strategy but sadly it was too long in coming in. I seemed to pull all the 4 & 5 cards when it was my turn to explore thus everybody else was buying them. I had close to half the pearls available at the time the game ended .

Then it was on to the 3rd first time game for me, Sheriff of Nottingham. The interaction was a hoot in this game. There is a player in our group that really loves the lying/cheating/back-stabbing games so he joined us for this game to make it 5. Good game, not a favoured style of game for me but a good game all the same. I did come 2nd. I made a few silly mistakes - like bribing the Sheriff more than it could've been worth. In my defense I was trying to give a false impression by bluffing when I actually didn't have to - just didn't calculate worth it.

Then we played Funny Friends. The cards were against me the entire game & I only managed to complete 1 life goal before the winner had his 5th down. Still like this game. Not sure if it is completely balanced with the time distribution.
Old January 16th, 2015, 07:09 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Sounds like a good time @A3n . I have played Race for the Galaxy a couple times almost 3 years ago and wasn't a big fan. I might like it more if I owned it and was able to study the iconography so that it clicked better for me, but not likely to buy it.

I have played Abyss a few times and like that one. Played Funny Friends once and it was fun. And finally, I've played Sheriff of Nottingham several times and enjoy it.

Sounds like some good variety there for sure.

Old January 17th, 2015, 09:05 AM
Prickly Cactus

Last night I went to a local (35 minutes away) games store to play a WWII minis game with a couple guys, using the Chain of Command rules.

Platoon size operation with British (me) vs. Germans.

Also:

Despite getting home after midnight and getting to bed at 1am, I still woke up by 6 this morning (stupid internal clock) and played mission 3 of my Insurgent campaign for Warfighter. Played an escape mission VIP Kidnapping, so my 3 soldiers had to start in the objective card location and work their way back to the mission location card (reverse of usual since we are escaping). There were 3 locations we needed to traverse between the objective and the mission card and you can only move each soldier once per turn. My only player soldier (who gets to draw/play cards) only had a health of 5 so he only got to draw 5 cards to start and any time he took a discard and draw action (he only gets 2 actions/turn). He had a canteen to be able to discard for 3 card draw, and had a hydration pack that allowed him to draw 1 card per turn. But despite that, I was having a terrible time drawing Location cards to play to be able to advance. It took 60 cards of drawing over the course of the first 10 of 11 turns to be able to draw 4 Location cards when needing 3. Two of those four came on turn 10. So I chose the best one and played it to move there, deal with hostiles and then on the 11th and final turn, was able to move to the mission card and escape with all 3 of my soldiers.

So thematically we had a long way to go and not good intel as far as maps. Meanwhile we have IED teams, Gunmen, Radio Man, Armed Mobs, Stalkers and Militants to deal with along the way. Fortunately we had some sniper support for a few turns to help out a little bit with some of the lower level hostiles. Used up all 3 of my grenades earlier than wanting to, and could have really used it against that Armed Mob.

Sgt 1st Class Saorrono was only firing controlled bursts instead of full auto, but dang did he go through the ammo and kept having to use one of his actions to reload. Glad I brought extra ammo.

One of the Location cards was called The Citadel and it can have a brutal reinforcement draw at the start of the Hostile turn (after the Soldier turn for all soldiers). Basically the chance of reinforcement was really high, which then allows them to attack right away. But fortunately I had a Stay Low stealth card to play and it cost 2 cards that I had to discard to play it, but it permanently made the Reinforcement Value of that location "None". So that was huge and gave me more breathing room to be able to discard and draw with my player soldier to find more location cards, while my Non-Player Solder (NPS) and Squad Soldier covered us.

Last edited by Hahma; January 17th, 2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old January 17th, 2015, 11:45 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Hahma,

Love the photos (especially speaking as someone who never posts any). I dig the ruined buildings--many of which I've painted in my larger 54mm minis scale. Its always a question as to how 'undamaged' to paint parts of them, and how to combine that with the ruined parts. War is hell!
Old January 17th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Hahma,

Love the photos (especially speaking as someone who never posts any). I dig the ruined buildings--many of which I've painted in my larger 54mm minis scale. Its always a question as to how 'undamaged' to paint parts of them, and how to combine that with the ruined parts. War is hell!
Thanks Chas. I wish I had taken a wider shot near the end when I had 3 squads spread out (too far) across the board, and the Sherman tank.

One of the guys in our group that rarely shows up to our regular game night on Mondays, is mostly into historical miniatures. I've gone to his house before to play some Napoleonic miniatures battles, and once got to try a Tomorrow's War minis game (futuristic Marine vs. Insurgent type thing). So he got the Chain of Command rulebook from Too Fat Lardies (of England) and dusted off some of his old FAA WWII miniatures and has hosted a few games of it at this game store. It was my first time attending and playing it.

Because it was at a game store and I was the only one previously committed to playing it, we got an opponent for me (Padraic "Pat" the game owner originally from Ireland and grew up in England until after college) was going to run the game. But then another person wanted to play and it was a teen and he got put on my side, the British. It didn't work out so much as I didn't want to be the alpha player and take over, so I had him make decisions as well and one of them cost us, as he wanted to bring in our 3rd squad on the left side of the map. That spread us too thin and we needed to get one unit to the other side of the table edge to win. But the Germans were positioned really well and their MG42's were brutal. They ended up getting first shots and killing some of squaddies, as well as lowering morale (for a lack of better term for the effect) so even with our Bren teams, we were less effective back. Then we got the Sherman out and were moving it and getting some effective fire, but it got damaged by a Panzerschrek that used an ambush rule to pop up 12 inches from an entry point and hit it pretty good. We called it after that.

As far as the buildings, Padraic painted them up. We got our squad in the lower level of that big building and then when we got on top level of it, the German 5cm mortar put a hurting on us. We only had a 2in. mortar that was only good for putting smoke out, but it wasn't always accurate.

Cool game, but took about 4 hours before we called it, as it was looking rough for the Brits.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games