Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old March 4th, 2014, 03:11 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Question Dump: Post Your Questions Here.

Well met!

Even the worst paint jobs have some merit:

I repainted these Wolves of Badru with a base coat of Black, Yellow eyes, and Red blood spatter, to differentiate them from the myriad other WoB armies I anticipated facing (erroneously, as it turned out) in a tournament.
Old March 4th, 2014, 03:58 PM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwiker View Post
Hey scapers,

Does anyone use something to block your opponent from seeing where your OMs are before/until initiative is rolled?

Reason: My brother in law and I have this bad habit of watching where the other guy is placing OMs, and then placing our own accordingly. But then, the other guy notices this, and swaps his OMs around, etc. etc... It's a vicious cycle sometimes.

Do they do anything at tournaments to prevent this? Or do you guys stare at where your opponents potential moves may be and sit there and play cat and mouse with your OMs for a few minutes before rolling for initiative?
We consider if covered by the "don't be an arse" general ruling at home, and I've never had a problem with it at tournaments. Put your order markers down without looking at your opponents'. Then play.
Right, but even then, there's no guarantee that either of us aren't looking. The honor system sounds great on paper, but I think (and I think he feels the same) that you can't 100% trust most of what people do or say, just look at the politicians of America.....

I was thinking about some sort of curtain or maybe a piece of cardboard which would only be used for placing OMs, and they would be removed once initiative is rolled.

I hope I'm not the first to mention a problem like this... I feel like anyone playing competitively would/could be doing this, I don't think it's really mentioned in the rulebook.
Old March 4th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Quote:
Hey scapers,

Does anyone use something to block your opponent from seeing where your OMs are before/until initiative is rolled?

Reason: My brother in law and I have this bad habit of watching where the other guy is placing OMs, and then placing our own accordingly. But then, the other guy notices this, and swaps his OMs around, etc. etc... It's a vicious cycle sometimes.

Do they do anything at tournaments to prevent this? Or do you guys stare at where your opponents potential moves may be and sit there and play cat and mouse with your OMs for a few minutes before rolling for initiative?
We consider if covered by the "don't be an arse" general ruling at home, and I've never had a problem with it at tournaments. Put your order markers down without looking at your opponents'. Then play.
Right, but even then, there's no guarantee that either of us aren't looking. The honor system sounds great on paper, but I think (and I think he feels the same) that you can't 100% trust most of what people do or say, just look at the politicians of America.....

I was thinking about some sort of curtain or maybe a piece of cardboard which would only be used for placing OMs, and they would be removed once initiative is rolled.

I hope I'm not the first to mention a problem like this... I feel like anyone playing competitively would/could be doing this, I don't think it's really mentioned in the rulebook.
The honour system works just fine for those I play with.

Why are you playing the game? If screens and the like help you have more fun then you should, of course, go for it.
Old March 4th, 2014, 04:29 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
If you two trust each other, then what do politicians have to do with anything?
Old March 4th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I think a big part of the game is having the order markers being placed in the open. You do have an X for a reason... (As long as you don't always place Marker #1 first, followed by Marker #2, etc...)

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old March 4th, 2014, 04:39 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I've never seen screens for Order Markers used at a tournament. The Honor system works fine. I'm sure some people cheat now and then, accidentally or on purpose. I tend to feel that someone who cheats in little things will cheat in big things, and when cheating in little things doesn't bite you back (it sometimes does), cheating in big things eventually will.

--

Although now that I think about it, I always pick up all my Order Markers and shake them around in my hands, then place them in random order (e.g. I might place the 3 first, then the X, then the 1, then the 2). If you're super-worried about other players cheating that's what you could do--you just have to decide where you want them all to go before you place any of them.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old March 4th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Although now that I think about it, I always pick up all my Order Markers and shake them around in my hands, then place them in random order (e.g. I might place the 3 first, then the X, then the 1, then the 2).
I've always done this. Heck, I do this when solo-scaping...

~Aldin, thinking that Cap kinda looks like a young Nathan Fillion

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old March 4th, 2014, 05:22 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
I can't unsee it!
Old March 5th, 2014, 10:46 AM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post
Quote:
I can't unsee it!
I've always thought of Captain Hammer from Doctor Horrible's Sing Along Blog, whenever I see his avatar. It is the same actor though.
"A man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do. Seems destiny ends with me saving you." Wait was that out loud?

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old March 5th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Huh. I hadn't noticed it before. I see the resemblance.

Cap doesn't quite have the superhero jawline that Mal does, though.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old March 5th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Hey scapers,

I've occasionally seen players at tournaments use something to block opponents from seeing Order Marker placement.
Quote:
You could try doing what the BftU Rulebook suggests on Page 8, under 1. PLACE YOUR ORDER MARKERS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BftU Rulebook, Page 8
Note: More competitive players can take turns placing all of their markers. To do this, roll the 20-sided die. The high roller places all of his order markers first; then the player to the left places all of his order markers; and so on, until all order markers have been placed.
This suggestion has been in the Master Game Guide since the very beginning, going all the way back to the first edition.

Last edited by GaryLASQ; March 7th, 2014 at 12:47 AM.
Old March 6th, 2014, 01:38 AM

Therion knows what's in an order marker Therion knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Although now that I think about it, I always pick up all my Order Markers and shake them around in my hands, then place them in random order (e.g. I might place the 3 first, then the X, then the 1, then the 2).
I've always done this. Heck, I do this when solo-scaping...

This is my strategy of choice too; it's hard for me to ignore when an opponent places their markers in order from 1 to X, even when I'm trying to not actively take advantage of it.

Patience Drain
After loading and before posting, roll the twenty-sided die.
On a 1, Therion makes a long and/or irritating post.
On a 2-15, Therion may not post this turn.
On a 16+, post normally.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's