Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old January 13th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
The Tournament-Worthy Asymmetric Map Workshop

For a long time Riggler and others have been arguing for the possibility that a fair but highly asymmetric map can be built. I think so too, and I'd love to see one (or more) and have it played at tournaments.

I was thinking a little about why we haven't seen such a map. I think it is mainly because of the huge amount of playtesting that would be needed before it hit a tournament table. When I run a tournament, I'm happy to take a chance on one or two untested symmetric (or pseudo-symmetric) maps simply from eyeballing them; they are clearly "fair" even if they turn out not to be the best map ever. Against a backgound of mainly BoV maps and other seriously tested ones, I think that's a risk worth taking and no-one's tournament will be ruined.

However, I'd never make such a call on a seriously asymmetric map. I'd even be hesitant to include it if I'd done a lot of playtesting on it but no independent other testing had happened.

I'm hoping this thread can be the means to overcome this hurdle. I want to use it to present, discuss, modify, post battle reports, modify some more, and generally develop a tournament-worthy highly asymmetric map.

A quick note about "highly asymmetric" vs. "pseudo-symmetric". A pseudo-symmetric map is one which, while not symmetric, allows both players equal access to the same features (height, glyphs, etc.). A highly asymmetric map offers access to different advantages for both sides: one side might have easy height, while the other gets some glyphs. This is the type of map I want us to build.

The goal, once we have a thoroughly playtested map with which we are happy, is to get it on some tournament tables, and possibly submit it to the BoV. Adhering to the BoV guidelines is obviously essential for the second part, but I think will also be very helpful for the first. There's been recent discussion on the BoV thread about some possible map features that are not yet represented. As well as asymmetry, castle pillars and fixed glyphs are two that seem to naturally lend themselves to this enterprise.

The whole development and review process is going to be very informal and everyone is encouraged to contribute their thoughts and, especially, game experiences on the map. To help us structure things a little, I'll keep this first post updated with the active maps divided into four categories: Concept, Development, Tournament Testing and Tournament Proven.

Post a map in the thread if you think it worthy of consideration for this project. That will enter it into the concept category. After some comments come in, if they are favourable, it will move into the development category. Here, we need some games played on it and flaws to be pointed out and suggested modifications. Finally, once consensus emerges, we hope to be to persuade able tournament directors to give it a shot. These maps are in the tournament testing category. Finally, if a map is well-received at multiple tournaments we'll stop messing with it and declare it tournament proven.

I'll also maintain two more lists, without pictures. The first---backburner---is for asymmetric maps that no-one is currently working on. You are welcome to check them out, post your thoughts, and I'll move them back to the development category. The second is for maps that were suggested but fell by the wayside for one reason or another (early evidence suggests that the reason is related to the extent of the asymmetry rather than the quality of the map; just because a map is on that list doesn't mean you shouldn't check it out).

Concepts. Please post your thoughts on whether these maps are worth pursuing further.

There are no maps currently at this stage.

Development. Please play some games on these and point out weaknesses and suggest modifications.

Forgotten Outpost (Feb 8th Ed.), by KCU Master 2007.

Required Sets: 1 RotV, 1 TJ, 1 FotA
KCU Master 2007's map thread.

Caught in the Middle v2.0, by Ollie.

Required Sets: RotV x1, TT x1 (normal snow and ice).
Ollie's map thread.

Inbetweener v1.1, by Ollie.

Required Sets: RotV x1, Lava x2.
Ollie's map thread.

Birnam Wood to Dunsinane, by Dok.
[/QUOTE]
Required Sets: RotV x1, RttFF x1, FotA x1, TJ x1.

Watchtower, by Waycoolsuperdude.

The Mirke, by Nyys.

Required Sets: 1 RotV, 1 SotM, 1 TJ
Nyys's map thread.

Lying In Wait v2, by KCU Master 2007.

Required Sets: 1 RotV.
KCU Master 2007's map thread.

Ticalla Ruins, by Kriegskeks

Required Sets: RotV x1, TJ x1, FotA x1.
Kriegskek's map thread.

WA-ASYM (v2), by Warlord Alpha.

Required sets: RotV, TJ.
Warlord Alpha's map thread.

Rising Pressure v.4

Required sets: RotV x1, RttFF x1, Lava x1.
Killometer's map thread.

Storm the Beach

Required sets: Lexan mat (water), RotV x1, SotM x1, TJ x1.
Nyys's map thread.

Tournament Testing. Please consider suggesting one of these maps to your friendly local tournament director.

Fort Lannister 5.1, by nyys.

Required Sets: 1 RotV, 1 FotA, 1 TJ
Nyys's map thread.
Used at: Battle of the Border II (RI, April 2009).

Halfway Up The Downs v2.3, by Dok and Ollie.

Required sets: RotV x1, SotM x1, TJ x1.

Normandy Beach, by Bengi.

Required Sets: RotV x1, SotM x1.

Tournament Proven.

No maps are currently at this stage.

Backburner.

No maps are currently at this stage.

Maps that were not taken forward.

Where The Road Ends, by LongHerosaper.

Ayrwode's Bluff
, by Gamebear.
Ekstrom Tunnel, by Yagyuninja.
Spring Thaw, by Retlaw.

Last edited by ollie; March 9th, 2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:00 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: The Tournament-Worthy Asymmetric Map Workshop

This is a great idea Ollie. A good way to get maps that need intensive testing, just that. I would say anyone who submits a map to this thread should pick another map in the thread to test thoroughly (in addition to their own). You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours type of thing.

I've started playing the advanced game with my son (only six) and we're scaping on almost a daily basis now. Woot!

Granted he has a looooong way to go to make our games competetive, but just playing some casual games on these maps I think can help point out good and bad points.

Then of course the regular game night with the crazy Scapers like Bengi, we can do more thorough analysis.

-insert signature here-
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

Count me in Ollie. Forgotten Outpost is going to be a springboard for me into more and more maps until either 1) I have a variation that is incredibly balanced and (deemed by others as well) to be tournament worthy or 2) I have come up with a new idea using everything we'll learn throughout this project that is tournament worthy.

We may not get these maps onto any tournament tables yet, in fact it may not happen until we manage to get one into the BoV, but I think that with enough support we will see a shift in map design. These discussions have been going on for quite a while in the BoV thread and Longheroscaper has issued a challenge for new things to enter the BoV, a couple of which include the Fota.

Get your ideas out here. Even if you don't think its the greatest thing, it might just be the spark that someone else needs to build something amazing. If you can't come up with something on your own, try building off someone else's idea.

EDIT: Ollie, nyys, I think we're on to something here. I just have a really positive feeling about this project.
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:07 AM

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

One thing we may want to add is the type of armies that should be used in testing. I believe the BoV uses primarily A and B units as those are the considered the most competetive and show up more times than not at tournaments.

So get out your Glads and Blasts, no longer be shamed at using Q9, and RotV Raelin is everyone's girlfriend now.

EDIT: Hmmm... it just occured to me that with the use of the castle set, though it makes some great units even better, some not so great units may become much more usefull. The Roman Archers come to mind right away. So in addition to those A/B units (go Airborne) some of the lesser ones that make sense in a castle are worthy of use as well IMO.

-insert signature here-
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Here are the BoV guidelines. I say just get as much testing in with as many different armies as possible. We're going to have to go above and beyond the norm here, just because it's unusual.

For what it's worth, anyone is welcome to hack apart and use any bits or ideas from my maps. If we end up with the author of the map being "The Asymmetric Map Workshop" or something, that's fine by me.
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:56 AM
PA/MD/NJ Tourney Promoter - Evil!

tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness

This is a great idea Ollie. Good luck with this project.
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Is a Quadradical

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
Thanks Tom. Are you up for some playtesting? (Or designing?)
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:24 PM
PA/MD/NJ Tourney Promoter - Evil!

tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Quote:
I would love to help out where I can. I will try to get some games in on Caught in the Middle.
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Is a Quadradical

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Quote:
I would love to help out where I can. I will try to get some games in on Caught in the Middle.
Sweet.

Does anyone know offhand what the strict army placement rules are at the start of a game? I can see it making a big difference here. I didn't see it in the rulebook or FAQ. I'd say roll the D20 and highest chooses whether to place their army first or second (using the "simultaneous powers" rule). An army is placed all at once, not unit-by-unit alternating (which might make sense, but is too complicated, I think).

Similarly, it'd be good to have a standard startzone choosing method, although this might be randomised within the tournament structure. Nyys suggests in his map thread that the D20 should be rolled and highest chooses. Sounds good to me.
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:58 PM

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

I think that rolling the D20 to determine sides (if there is a dispute) is the standard procedure. As for physically placing armies, according to the SotM rulebook page 7:
Quote:
If you have already chosen (or brought along) your Army, place your cards in front of you. Then players roll to see who places his Army on the battlefield first. Re-roll ties
I'm not sure if it is entirely necessary to go that far but I could be wrong. This step may be required for these types of maps. But I would agree that the D20 NEEDS to be rolled to determine who is playing where.
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:59 PM

I want to say there is an official way to deploy your units, but I can't remember what it is at all.

Though if there's nothing in the rule book, nor in the FAQ, then maybe I'm making it up.

EDIT: Ninjaed by KCU.

So the official rule is that you both roll, then the higher person gets to choose who deploys first, and whoever does deploys their entire army at once? Did I read that correctly?

With these types of maps, this may indeed be a key factor in victory. Especially with a split start zone map.

-insert signature here-

Last edited by nyys; January 13th, 2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:00 PM

Hey nyys, look one post up

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios