Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old January 18th, 2017, 04:25 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
Most Enticing Unit

Tomorrow I will have a 'scape board set up with some miscellaneous figures on it. The goal is to make people excited about the game, but they won't get to play it until next week. The cards will be around, but we won't talk about the rules or anything other than what the game is about in pretty abstract terms.

What units do I put on the board?

Using the method of grabbing the first ones that came to hand that seemed to make sense, I have Krug, DW9000, Nilfheim, Grimnak, Raelin, Omnicrons, KMA, 4th Mass, Tul-Bak-Na, Syvarris, Venoc Warlord and some Venocs.

What should I add/subtract? What's the one killer unit that will make everyone desperate to get involved?

[The reason for this and other threads I'm creating at the moment is a class I'm teaching about games and puzzles, of which 'scape is going to be some fraction (exactly how much depends on how interested the studetns are in it compared to the other stuff). If you want to bombard me with other cool ideas that's good too. It's weird to be at work and legitimately posting here rather than goofing off. ]
Old January 18th, 2017, 04:30 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Re: Most Enticing Unit

Fen Hydra. So cool and so fun, will definitely catch the eye.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old January 18th, 2017, 04:36 PM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!

I always thought Brunak looked really cool. I'm sure Jotun would be a good choice as well.

If you're not rolling for Stinger Drain, you're not living.
Old January 18th, 2017, 04:36 PM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The Marro Hive always gets people attention at my house...especially if surrounded by some of the big figures and a swarm of squads.
Old January 18th, 2017, 04:39 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Whatcha Got

Rats...

Okay, seriously I think including a Major is a good call. Giant robots and all that. Also zombies.

~Dysole, noting that the bigger figures catch peoples' attention.
Old January 18th, 2017, 05:18 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

First of all, the correct answer is
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1998 View Post
Jotun
as mtl1998 said.

Second, after that you want a mishmash of genres. Redcoats, aliens, robots. Mix it up. You'll be playing with these same units so don't do anything that it'll be a pain to teach, like Tor Kul Na or the Airborne Elite. Krug would work well, too, because his powers are simple and he's a big, adorable mini.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old January 18th, 2017, 05:19 PM
The Animator

JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby!

I always thought Sonlen looked very epic, or maybe kameon awa?

Come check out my heroscape .gif Images.
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=30039
Old January 18th, 2017, 05:27 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Ne-Gok-Sa. Mindshackle is such a fun and tense power.
Old January 18th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Dragons.

We used to always give Nilfheim and Braxas to a new player.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old January 18th, 2017, 06:02 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Excellent ideas everyone, I'll roll some in.

The playing/teaching angle is not such a big deal. They'll see it all tomorrow, but it'll be a different session next week (maybe even later) where they learn, so unless there's anything they fall in love with and insist on, I can take that as a separate issue.

What I usually do to teach this size group (probably about 6) is have them play one-on-one games with small (~250pts) pre-built armies. Before I stumbled on this, everyone spent far too long examining cards---to learn I think it's best to get in there and roll the dice, the unit preferences can come later. The armies I use tend to have one huge showpiece unit and then a squad (and another hero if there's space) and are definitely taken from the more straightforward end of the spectrum.
Old January 18th, 2017, 06:12 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Hmm. I'd keep squads at x2, and try to mix heroes & squads as much as possible. Maybe 300? Everybody gets a hero + ~2 squads of something, and the total is high enough that some people can get Jotun or Nilfheim. My . Have fun!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old January 18th, 2017, 06:30 PM
Is a Quadradical

Yeah, as well as an eye-catching unit, I try to make sure each army has at least one hero and one squad and at least one melee unit and one ranged one. In the past I've kept commons out at the first pass and introduced them later, but this will be an older audience and I might drop some in from the start.

I haven't used Jotun at this stage before, but Charos and Tarns was an army last time (breaking my range rule) and it was a big hit to have the hero take up such a fraction of the army compared to the more balanced ones. Breaking the rules again, I might have Jotun as a solo army. Or maybe I'll edge the points up. (I also don't worry about exact point totals too much when people are learning.)

I also keep explicit synergy to a minimum and let them discover that for themselves in future sessions.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units