Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 15th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
What's for dinner?

I enjoy what Grungebob refers to as a "hot-topic throwdown" (and what I prefer to think about as an interesting and mutually-beneficial sharing of perspectives on controversial issues). I currently find myself embroiled in at least the second conversation I've had here about abortion, a topic that is not high on my list of important topics. So, it occurred to me that if I want to have that sort of interesting conversation including the diverse views of the community on a topic about which I care more deeply, then starting such a conversation was probably the way to go.

Asking what's for dinner might not immediately strike you as a hot-topic. But I think there are many issues around food that bear thinking about and discussing. I'd love for us to do so (while also understanding that posting first gives me no right to steer the conversation away from lolcats and pictures of David Hassselhoff if that's the way it heads).

Are you vegetarian? Why or why not? (And I think the burden is on those of us answering the "why not?" subquestion.) Vegan? Locavore: dreadful word but good idea? Organic: dreadful word (in this context) but good idea? Food stamps and food-access for the poor. International aid. Food policy and health impacts... There's plenty of, ahem, meat here.

Here's a topical link. Are you with Paul McCartney on meat-free Mondays?

It strikes me (though this may well be utterly wrong) that these questions are in many ways political without being party political. I take that as a promising sign for the conversation.

I'd also love to talk about the less controversial issues. What's your favourite recipe? Do you grow any of your own food, and how is that going? Even, what's for dinner?

I'll start by answering that, I suppose. We made a big pot of bean, salt pork and carrot casserole yesterday. I'll be having that again, on either toast or rice, along with whatever green stuff is going at the farmstand I pass on the way home.

How about you?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General