Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old October 24th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Wow! That's impressive for an out of print game.
Yeah, it's never dropped below #4 on his list.
Old October 24th, 2014, 09:53 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Wow! That's impressive for an out of print game.
Yeah, it's never dropped below #4 on his list.
Tom said Heroscape was being remade!
Old October 24th, 2014, 10:50 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Enjoyed two games of the new Firefly the Game: Blue Sun expansion, and the several of the new Star Trek Fleet Captains: The Dominion expansion. Tablewalker beat me four out of four games over the past two days--congratulations TW. Ah'll git ya next tahm! For the details of the second Firefly game but the first official scenario we played, see my session report on bgg Patience's War.

I posted my entire 200+ item board game collection on bordgamegeek. You can check it out by going to my profile page by clicking on Chas 59 above my 'Jon Snow' avatar. Of course, its only a tiny fraction of what I've owned (or played) since the 1960s...not to mention over 20,000 54mm painted and organized minis.

BGG has board game, role playing, and computer game sections. I wonder why they don't have a miniatures section as well. Anyone know?

Last edited by chas; October 24th, 2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old October 24th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Lost at Hull Breach! to KidScaper last night. @akden , it seems like there is a significant advantage to deploying a few fighters and a couple cruisers and turtling with marines, hoarding income and then counterpunching like a wolverine after you survive your opponent's first attack. Has that been your experience?

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 24th, 2014, 08:07 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

I took Tiny Epic Kingdoms out for a 3 player solo test drive to get the feel for it before teaching it, and it was pretty cool. Interesting timing of when you will want to follow the action chosen by the start player, and when you just want to build up resources. If you don't follow that action, it may be a while before you can get a chance to do it again, so depending on the situation, it can be a tough call.

Seems like getting into a war can be a pretty sketchy thing unless you have the upper hand somehow, or just want to deplete the other player's resources, even if you know you will lose going in. Again, timing and the race you are playing can be key here. Also, you have to be careful to not go to war with one player and become vulnerable to another player.

I like the choices and some tough decisions you have in this little 4x game.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old October 24th, 2014, 09:51 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
I posted my entire 200+ item board game collection on bordgamegeek.
If you'd like to double your collection, I have 268 items on my trade list.

http://boardgamegeek.com/user/quozl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old October 24th, 2014, 11:02 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Quozl,

No, I keep it lean and mean. Last year I got rid of about 40 items myself. And I can hardly turn around in my NYC apartment!
Old October 25th, 2014, 07:58 AM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
I took Tiny Epic Kingdoms out for a 3 player solo test drive to get the feel for it before teaching it, and it was pretty cool. Interesting timing of when you will want to follow the action chosen by the start player, and when you just want to build up resources. If you don't follow that action, it may be a while before you can get a chance to do it again, so depending on the situation, it can be a tough call.

Seems like getting into a war can be a pretty sketchy thing unless you have the upper hand somehow, or just want to deplete the other player's resources, even if you know you will lose going in. Again, timing and the race you are playing can be key here. Also, you have to be careful to not go to war with one player and become vulnerable to another player.

Yep plays like a bigger game. It's very balanced also, even if you are down you are never out. I thoroughly enjoy it, my PnP version anyway .
Old October 25th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post

Yep plays like a bigger game. It's very balanced also, even if you are down you are never out. I thoroughly enjoy it, my PnP version anyway .

Tried another 3P solo game this morning with Dwarves, Goblins and Merfolk this time (last time was Humans, Orcs, Elves with scores of 16H,13O,15E). Dwarves got the top of their tower built and won with 18 points, with the Merfolk at 13 and Goblins at 12.

Goblins had 1 guy lost in the Ruins collecting various resources throughout the game, but should have stood with a patrol action and moved out of there so it could be counted at the end. Should have taken advantage of war, especially against the Dwarves since they only had 5 meeples out and limited resources. Merfolk needed to get to level 5 magic to take advantage of getting VP for each 3 meeples adjacent to water. Would have given them 3 extra points, 2 from meeples adjacent to water and 1 from being level 5 instead of level 4.

Lots of things players will want to do, but hard to do everything you want. Right now I just want to get the flow of the game down before teaching, as well as getting a feel for the different races.

I think my group will like it for sure. It has a small footprint to be played just about anywhere, plays pretty quick, components are nice and feels like a bigger game.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old October 25th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Lost at Hull Breach! to KidScaper last night. @akden , it seems like there is a significant advantage to deploying a few fighters and a couple cruisers and turtling with marines, hoarding income and then counterpunching like a wolverine after you survive your opponent's first attack. Has that been your experience?
Yeah, it can certainly go that way. I started out being a nice dad when my son would say, "can you wait just one more turn before you attack?" And then he would demolish my attacking fleet and launch an annihilating counterattack on the next turn to win the game. I've since stopped and am now working on the whole "tough love" thing.

I won't profess to be an expert, but it seems that if you just sit and turtle, the advantage swings to whomever doesn't attack. I also find it less fun that way, but it is sometimes nice to establish your economy and build up an overwhelming fleet of ships. In that case, it becomes most important to leave a significant defensive force at your station so that you can survive the counterattack. It's also nice to have some helpful events in your hand to interfere with your opponent's response.

When I demoed this at Gen Con, the guy encouraged quick attacks early on. It might have been a function of the time we had to play and the demo setting (it was scheduled for 90 minutes, so we didn't seem to be rushing, but maybe we were). He seemed to be pushing us to jump on each other before our opponents had the chance to build a large force. I'm planning to try that strategy the next time my son and I play.

I think you linked to Matt Drake's review at one point. He described it as a totally kick-butt game that falls just a little short because there isn't enough outside the combat. Matt complained that there needs to be a little more or the game, and the designer responded that more stuff is being developed. He mentioned "interdictor" ships that will be able to ambush attacking fleets while they are travelling to an opposing station. He also talked about potential alien planets and so forth.

I'm hoping for ways to make my opponent discard cards/ships and more ways to sabotage their fleets and resources. We really like the game, but I'm definitely looking forward to some new stuff because I think it will add more options to overcome the turtle strategy.

Edit: Sorry, that's not a game I've been playing. Haven't had a ton of time recently, but I have gotten in a couple of solo games of Roll Through the Ages, which is a decently engaging dice game that (loosely) simulates building a civilization.

Last edited by akden; October 25th, 2014 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Sorry!
Old October 25th, 2014, 01:38 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

I went to a FLGS for X-Wing. No one else showed up to the event for X-Wing. I saw a couple playing Settlers of Catan so I joined them. It's a fun game.

However, how come everyone in the board gaming "scene" turns up their nose at Monopoly, and then will play this game? This game is essentially just euro Monopoly. I'm not saying that as an insult, I like Monopoly. It's not really any less luck based and the trading aspect is better in Monopoly. It's shorter, but among the board gaming crowd that's not really a reason.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old October 25th, 2014, 06:54 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post
However, how come everyone in the board gaming "scene" turns up their nose at Monopoly, and then will play this game? This game is essentially just euro Monopoly. I'm not saying that as an insult, I like Monopoly. It's not really any less luck based and the trading aspect is better in Monopoly. It's shorter, but among the board gaming crowd that's not really a reason.
Two words: Roll 'nMove.

23 words: Catan has many more choices, like where to place your starting locations, where to build, what to try to build, and so on.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games