Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old August 11th, 2015, 02:30 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!
Re: Wargrounds of Scape (WoS) - discussion thread

The Wargrounds of Scape now has its own sub-folder of WoS Maps (joining the BoV, HoSS, and C3G maps) under the OHS Maps & Figures.
Old August 14th, 2015, 01:20 AM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

I'd like to nominate HIGH WAYS OR THE HIGHWAY, JUNGLE EDITION by 1Mmirg to the WoS.

PDF here.
VirtualScape .hsc file here (one of the .hsc files bundled for Hexscape).
Topdown board here.
Old August 15th, 2015, 08:50 AM

Update.

(yes votes, no votes)

Inducted Maps

REMAINS OF CLIONESIA by tannergx
- dok, kevindola, Typhon2222, Foudzing, Kinseth

WYRMWALK by Panopticon
- dok, Foudzing, Kinseth, Typhon2222

Maps Under Review

HIGH WAYS OR THE HIGHWAY, JUNGLE EDITION by 1Mmirg (judging timer started on 8/14/15)

PLATYPUS by Robber (judging timer started on 5/11/15)
- Typhon2222

A STONE'S THROW by darkmage7a
- Foudzing

MARSH THICKET by Joseph Sweeney
- Foudzing

Previously Reviewed Maps

MAYBERRY by mad_wookie
- kevindola, Foudzing, Typhon2222, Bengi

CAGE MATCH by Dignan
- Foudzing, dok

CALIDA by Superfrog
- dok, Foudzing

THE BOROGOVES by Typhon2222
- Foudzing, Killometer
Old September 14th, 2015, 12:35 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Platypus by Robber

This map has been a tournament staple in online play for a while now, being used in three OHS events, dating back to season 11. I’ve also used it in testing games and live games. For this review, took an unusual approach; I went to the vault and did a lot more watching than playing. I reviewed game history of 30 past games on this map, covering a pretty wide variety of armies.

As I’ve said before, I like maps that offer some intermediate height and not just one pinnacle that everyone races for. Of course, you don’t want to encourage armies to just move up to an uncontestable hill near their startzone and hunker down there, either. Platypus balances this in a fairly unique way - by having lots of level 3 terrain, but breaking it into four (well actually six, but I’ll get to that) strips that each hug a glacier. This proves very effective - there is lots of shooting down on this map, but also lots of different ways to get around to your opponent and engage on level ground. The middle two paths of the map end up getting clogged up remarkably rarely. I attribute this to the mix of level 3 terrain and level 2 terrain in those paths. Even games with 2 squads of rats tended to have room for maneuver.

I also really enjoy the tactics that all the different paths through the middle can encourage. You often see opponents slipping figures through an empty path between the glaciers, either to flank behind the active troops, or to go straight after unactivated figures back in the startzone. Managing all your figures is crucial on this map, and I like that.

I also really enjoy the use of jungle terrain, protecting the middle areas on the way out of the startzone, but not protecting either the startzones or the height itself. This further encourages moving out a lot of your army instead of sitting back, and also makes it easier to work your way up if you get beat to the center. Trying to defend your startzone is not a strong play on this map (and I like that), but both armies can usually grab some slice of the height.

As I alluded to earlier, there are actually six, not four strips of level 3 terrain. The last two are on the edges of the map, overlooking the glyphs. These two strips are accessible by a 1-space-wide corridor through the side glacier. This is where my main concern with the map arises.

While the middle of the map rarely gets blocked completely, the same cannot be said for the two side sections of the map. The combination of the one space wide choke point to reach the side section, and the glyph that stops movement, make maneuver around the sides harder. This is not to say the sides don’t get used at all: they saw quite a bit of play in the games I reviewed, although not as much as the central paths. They were most frequently used by ranged figures looking to get another angle, but they were also used by other figures looking to outflank. And of course, when the glyph was important there was fighting over it. However, sometimes the choke points were abused by a hero to limit engagements, or a ranged hero would sit on the side pair of level 3 spaces.

In the earlier version of this map, another issue with the sides was the two level 1 “pits” in between the central paths and the side paths. These served to further isolate the sides of the map. In the later version of the map, one of these side pits has been raised to level 2, which improves the pathing. Honestly, after reviewing many tournament games before and after the change I kind of wish the other pit had been the one that had been raised, as I think this would have had slightly more impact. Still, it’s an improvement and I welcome it.

Overall, I have to weigh my concerns about the sides of the map against my overall positive feelings about the map. I’d love if there was another way to get to the sides instead of just the one single space. Honestly, though, I am not sure how easy it would be to manage that, and at the end of the day I’m judging the map in front of me. I really like the map overall, and I don’t think this one flaw I perceive leads to too many frustrating games.

I vote YES to induct.
Old September 14th, 2015, 09:22 PM

Great review dok. A perfect example, when judging a map, of the value to be gained from analyzing dozens and dozens of online tournament games played on it -- something the WoS is uniquely positioned to offer.

Folks, the timer on judging Platypus has run out.

And having gotten unanimously positive reviews from our judges, I'm delighted to report that we have a new map to add to our roster. Platypus is now inducted into the WoS.

Many congrats to @Robber , the map's creator.

If you're a tournament director with an upcoming tourney, please do consider including Platypus in your map pool. We think you'll like it.

WoS map #3
Platypus by Robber
Requires: 1 SotM, 1 TT, 1 TJ

PDF build instructions
VirtualScape (.hsc) file
board for online play

Last edited by Typhon2222; September 14th, 2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old September 14th, 2015, 11:26 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Interestingly, each terrain set except Marvel appears in exactly one of the three WoS maps.
Old September 15th, 2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Interestingly, each terrain set except Marvel appears in exactly one of the three WoS maps.
Hah. The WoS aims for optimal coverage.
Old June 26th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
2. Judges will maintain their position unless they fail to submit at least 1 vote on a map within an 8-month period.

Time to bring in some new blood. Excited to see who the judgeless council chooses.
Old June 26th, 2016, 08:32 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

It is so hard to run a project staffed by volunteers. Good luck, fellas. You dug this hole, now get out of it.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old June 27th, 2016, 09:52 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

I mean, I would totally take this on. But I don't if simple nominating myself is how this process works. B/c of the rule, is it therefore understood that all judges have been released and new ones need to be selected?

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old June 27th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

The OP lists 7 current judges:
Quote:
Bengi, dok, Foudzing, kevindola, Killometer, Kinseth, and Typhon2222
I would trim that list down by at least 2. I note that the OP does not rule out the possibility of judges voting to replace one departing judge with another who would otherwise be leaving:
Quote:
2. Judges will maintain their position unless they fail to submit at least 1 vote on a map within an 8-month period.
3. New judges will be added by a majority vote of votes cast within a 2-week period following the nomination.
4. Judges are not eligible to vote on their own maps.
5. These by-laws may be changed and amended at any time by a 75% majority of votes cast within a 2-week period following the proposal.
Also, I note that the "75% of votes cast" means that the WoS judges can do whatever they want, including change their own rules, provided 3 of 4 voters say so.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old June 27th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Well then...I guess we'll wait to hear back from @Bengi , @dok , @Foudzing , @kevindola , @Killometer , @Kinseth , and @Typhon2222 and see what they say.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios