Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old May 28th, 2017, 09:31 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: Rednax's Maps - New Maps 5/26/17

Allowing some armies a chance to grab glyphs but not others can make an unfair advantage in a tournament setting. With the type of glyph placed determines how much of a handicap that player with the double hex figures recieves. The question is. Does it completely screw up the theme and balance to make it accessible for any army? The submissions that make top ten will be played competitively in our next tournament. Thanks again for the submission. I do like the overall vibe of your map building style.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 28th, 2017, 10:29 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Yeah, I understand the concerns. The difficult thing is that the map is currently built in a way that every single tile is used, so there's not a whole lot of room for flexibility in construction. Ideally, I'd love to replace the water tile with a single rock hex, but there's currently not an extra one available. That being said, I will look at it and see if there's any way to make it more accessible to double-spaced figures.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Old May 29th, 2017, 12:48 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

I'm late to the party, but just to throw in a couple more cents on the discussion - having glyphs be accessible for double-spaced figures is pretty important in my opinion, if only to make sure you don't lose in the end game because you weren't able to take a glyph. But that is more applicable to stronger glyphs, like attack, defense, and wound (I've played games with each of those where a double-spacer lost simply because it couldn't access a glyph). That said, initiative is one of the weaker glyphs that I'd be more okay with being on a single hex. And looking at Bogged Down, it seems that double-spaced figures can still contest the glyph easily enough as there is a lot of flat ground around it for good access. So I'm not as worried about that map. Actually, I think it looks really good overall. Especially for just being SotM and RttFF. I think there's a lot of potential in both of those maps. I'd be lying if I said Bogged Down wouldn't take a slight hit if I were to evaluate it for the initiative glyph, but I like enough about it (the pathing especially) that I think it would still work really well overall.

Anyway, it's great to see you putting up maps again! I really like your style, I'll probably be looking to put up a couple of them when I get time.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old May 29th, 2017, 03:19 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Rednax's Maps - New Maps 5/29/17

This is one more map that I've been working on for a while now. I've always wanted to try building a map that incorporated castle bases for support, so this is largely a result of that. I tried to use jungle and battlements to create LoS blockers without cluttering up the map too much and creating choke points, and I think I found a good balance. And luckily in this map, glyphs are accessible to double-spaced figures.

I'll be submitting Marshall Law along with Evergreens and Everglades to the Wellspring Map Contest. I might have to settle with Bogged Down always being slightly flawed, but that's okay. (Thanks for the additional comments, BiggaBullfrog!)

Marshall Law

Requirements: 1 SotM, 1 FotA, 1 TJ
Glyphs: Wannok, Dagmar
Old June 3rd, 2017, 09:53 PM

Herofly knows what's in an order marker Herofly knows what's in an order marker

Hey @rednax I just got done playing several games on Marshall Law, I really like your map a lot. VS doesn't give it justice, it looks far better in person.
Old June 4th, 2017, 02:23 AM
Runa's favorite Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herofly View Post
Hey [MENTION=7961]rednax[/MENTION] I just got done playing several games on Marshall Law, I really like your map a lot. VS doesn't give it justice, it looks far better in person.
[MENTION=47495]Herofly[/MENTION] Wow, thank you! I was a little concerned if battlements and jungle clogged up the map too much, but hopefully that wasn't the case in your games. Did action feel pretty evenly spread across the map?
Old June 4th, 2017, 10:14 AM

Herofly knows what's in an order marker Herofly knows what's in an order marker

In my game, i had a melee army. I deployed most of my army from the center and used the road bonus to reach my enemies on the other side. Most of the battle was focused on the roads but we did have a few fights early on for the glyphs, they were mostly ignored after mid game. In all I really enjoyed playing on the map.
Old June 4th, 2017, 07:35 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herofly View Post
In my game, i had a melee army. I deployed most of my army from the center and used the road bonus to reach my enemies on the other side. Most of the battle was focused on the roads but we did have a few fights early on for the glyphs, they were mostly ignored after mid game. In all I really enjoyed playing on the map.
Hm, I kind of surprised that the glyphs were ignored late game, especially the Wound Glyph. I feel like Wound is one of the most consistently useful glyphs to grab, whereas a glyph like Move might not be as useful if your army is already in position. But I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it overall!

Last edited by rednax; June 13th, 2017 at 12:15 AM.
Old July 6th, 2017, 11:42 AM
Runa's favorite Minion

Re: Rednax's Maps - Revised Maps 7/6/17

Just got finished with some slight revisions to my three newest maps. In most cases, it involved making glyphs more accessible to double-spaced figures. For more details on changes to the first two maps, please see my post in the ARV Workshop Thread

Marshall Law

Requirements: 1 SotM, 1 FotA, 1 TJ

Everglades and Evergreens

Requirements: 1 SotM, 1 RttFF
Notes: For construction of this map, it is recommended that the Hive be pointed inward as shown in the picture.

For Bogged Down, the main change was making the Initiative glyph accessible to double-spaced figures. The downside is that a figure occupying the space between the glyph and the tree will make it impossible for a melee double-spaced figure to attack someone on the glyph. But since the glyph isn't all that powerful, I think it's a fair trade off.

In my first edition, I was also concerned that the bridge might have been too safe a spot for ranged figures. If both ends of the bridge were blocked off, then figures in the middle were impervious to melee figures with a height of 4 or less. But by placing some swamp hexes adjacent to the bridge, I've made it possible for such figures to engage anyone trying to camp on the bridge.

Bogged Down

Requirements: 1 SotM, 1 RttFF
Old July 18th, 2017, 02:27 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

Re: Rednax's Maps - New Map 7/18/17

Double Crosser

Requirements: 1 SotM, 2 RttFF
Glyphs: 2 Wannok

In my last couple of builds, I noticed that I had fallen into a very similar style of construction. I would put high ground near the middle of the map and then put two glyphs on opposite ends. To challenge myself, I started this map with the idea of having two glyphs in the middle separated by the Marro Hive. What resulted was a Highways-and-Dieways-esque swamp map using my standard footprint. There are plenty of line of sight blockers and plenty of paths to take, so I think it plays pretty well. As always, I'm open to feedback.
Old July 18th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

2 Wannock is a little much, and you tend to favor that glyph. I'd prefer random power Glyphs on this one or preset Glyphs besides Wannock. The build is a really cool design otherwise

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old July 18th, 2017, 10:13 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
2 Wannock is a little much, and you tend to favor that glyph. I'd prefer random power Glyphs on this one or preset Glyphs besides Wannock. The build is a really cool design otherwise
Hmmm. I really prefer to avoid random power glyphs whenever possible. If one glyph turns up as Dagmar and one turns up as Astrid, then all of the action will skew toward the side with the Astrid glyph. Since both sides of this map are similar, I really wanted equal glyphs on both sides.

I really love Wannok as a glyph because I feel like it's just valuable enough without being overpowered. I've always felt that Astrid, Gerda, and Crevcor were too powerful. On the other hand, the worth of Lodin and Ulaniva vary drastically depending on the armies, and oftentimes are worthless, in my experience. Kelda is a cool glyph, but it only comes in handy once, so it won't draw consistent attention to one side of a map. I love Valda, but I don't like it on small maps or maps with a bunch of road. Dagmar is another great glyph, but I only like using it in places that are already a bit desirable on their own, as it isn't all that strong.

In short, I really like Wannok as a glyph. To me, it is almost always useful, regardless of army types or point in the game. I also feel like it isn't too powerful. Even if one army has control of both, that's likely only two wounds per round. I'd much rather face against an army with two Wannok glyphs than an army with a Gerda glyph or an Astrid glyph. Wannok is also great because it speeds up the game, rather than slow it down like Gerda.

Is there something that concerns you in particular about having two Wannok glyphs? I'd love to hear more of your thoughts.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios