Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old February 14th, 2019, 02:18 PM

Tiamat rolls all skulls baby! Tiamat rolls all skulls baby! Tiamat rolls all skulls baby! Tiamat rolls all skulls baby! Tiamat rolls all skulls baby!
Is it even possible...

...to field a competitive all unique heroes army? I'm not talking about in an all heroes format, I'm talking about bringing an all unique heroes army to a standard format tournament. I've only been around for a year, but I don't think I've seen or heard of anyone trying it. Does it happen? Has anyone had any documented success? If it hasn't, do you think one of the known 'upper-level' players could pull it off or would they even be toast going up against a standard mixed build?

(Apologies if this question has been posted before. I used the Search function and didn't see anything later than 2008.)
Old February 14th, 2019, 02:20 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: Is it even possible...

I think your best bet is an Elf Wizard pod (especially if you allow C3V and can add Haduc).

But in ClassicScape, that's not a top-tier army. It's just okay.
Old February 14th, 2019, 02:39 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat View Post
...to field a competitive all unique heroes army? I'm not talking about in an all heroes format, I'm talking about bringing an all unique heroes army to a standard format tournament. I've only been around for a year, but I don't think I've seen or heard of anyone trying it. Does it happen? Has anyone had any documented success? If it hasn't, do you think one of the known 'upper-level' players could pull it off or would they even be toast going up against a standard mixed build?

(Apologies if this question has been posted before. I used the Search function and didn't see anything later than 2008.)
Heroes have several problems which common squads don't face. They are subject to multiple wounds from a single attack, making them more fragile than they at first appear. Often, they cannot compete with the number of attacks a squad can make in a single turn. Frequently, they are "too powerful" against squads, rolling enough dice to almost certainly kill one, but in reality "wasting" a bunch of extra skulls.

Having said that, an army core of Q9/Raelin (RotV) at 260 points is very powerful and has the ability to usefully engage both heroes and squads. Add a couple of Fen Hydras to hit 500 even and I'd expect to be able to compete with most armies... but you did say unique heroes, so Fen Hydras is kinda cheating.

Agent Skahen and Kaemon Awa maybe? That gives you one hero who is particularly good against range and another that is particularly good against melee. Raelin/Q9/KaemonAwa/Skahen... not top tier, but probably competitive on any map that lets you use some choke points and range advantage without too many glyphs.

Elf Wizard pods are also fun to play at 500 or 600, though as superfrog notes they are a bit less competitive.

~Aldin, speculatively

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old February 14th, 2019, 03:05 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

They do not call it Squad'Scape for nothing.
Old February 14th, 2019, 03:56 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Clayton (Chill) came in 10th (3-2) at Gencon last year with:
Ulginesh, Arkmer, Johrdawn, Chardris, Raelin
Old February 14th, 2019, 04:06 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

If you play C3V/SoV, running Kantono Daishi, some ninjas, and a big ranged figure like Q9/Q10 is pretty viable as a mid-tier army.

If you allow Marvel, you can always just run the Hulk....

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old February 14th, 2019, 04:36 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

If you allow C3G, you can forget squads even exist half the time.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old February 14th, 2019, 06:19 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

In Classic?

Major Q9
Raelin the Kyrie Warrior (RotV)
Cyprien Esenwein
Sonya Esenwein
Guilty McCreech
Isamu
495 Points

Everything will die....

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old February 14th, 2019, 06:28 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Deadeye Dan.
Old February 14th, 2019, 07:05 PM
proper grammar and spelling are vital too success

Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby!

I think vydar ranged builds without squads have won tournaments before.

I've seen

Braxas
Raelin RotV
Eltahale
Marro Warriors

win a tournament with about 20 attendees.

Neo is Heavy Grut...
in LAUR DETENTION FACILITY

Last edited by Neo; February 14th, 2019 at 07:22 PM.
Old February 14th, 2019, 07:51 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Actually, I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but @The Dewk schooled the Utah scene at our latest January Monthly with an all hero army (though it should be noted that 4/5 of the heroes was C3V/SoV):

The Varja
Asterios
Kaemon Awa
Rygarn
Bol

I think in the long run it's very possible to do well and even win a tournament with an all Unique Hero army, but it's going to require some incredible play. The Dewk, for example, is a great player and definitely has the skill level required to pilot such an army to success.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old February 14th, 2019, 08:21 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

I don't see how Raelin+Q9+Hydrax2 is even close to a bad army. I'd take that any day over an Elf Wizard build despite its lameness lol

Pretty much any army with Raelin+big multi attack hero is going to do at least fairly well.

Zelrig+Nilfheim+Raelin+Brave Arrow isn't bad.

Iron Golemx4+Syvarris if you want your SA-friend to not be friends with you anymore.

That new C3V fig Talingul looks decent. Maybe Talingul+IGx3+Syvarris instead.

Also Ornak+Hydras is a thing.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion