Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Old August 22nd, 2022, 09:01 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: Heroscape 2nd Edition is here!

Glyphs are an essential part of balancing Heroscape maps. I'm sure there will be glyphs in the new set, even if they are just retreads of existing glyphs.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old August 22nd, 2022, 11:07 AM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Today's designer's notes
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encarmine
DESIGNER'S NOTES - DAY 014 - "DRYAN LIFEBORNE ORDER" FACTION LORE - Mystical weavers of the raw magical energies of life and death. The Dryan Lifeborne Order has dwelt in the dark forests of planet Arboreas for countless ages, attuning their powers with the spirits of nature and the etheric beasts that also call these ancient and forbidden places of the wild home. Masters of the arcane, these spell weaving magi learned to harness the very life force contained in the anima of living creatures, even using the fallen and deceased to increase the strength of their spellcasting or calling upon the powers of the earthly elements to create destructive manifestations of raw carnage. Though few in number, the order's magi make up for this by enlisting the aid of the world’s many creatures and beasts, bolstering the ranks of their armies with the unbridled fury of their animal kin, and unleashing the very definition of feral rage upon their enemies.
The name of this image is "MondayNoCoffeeCrisis"
I see two very different centaurs, as well as at least one creature that looks like an elf, and some very cool two-headed wolves. This could prove to be my favorite faction, thematically.

I am curious who is driving this faction and if they can comment further. @skyknight ? @Craig Van Ness ?

--
--
--

--
Old August 22nd, 2022, 11:23 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

More great stuff. Our third faction revealed! I'm surprised not to see either of the green/gray GenCon minis who could easily be in Dryan Lifeborne Order in this sketch. They are the Green Priestess (Dryan=Druid/Dryad) and the Lichy Guy, since they mention Undead here as followers.

The closest to them are the second from Upper Left and diagonally down from there. These could be variant poses of the two. The dragony guy in Right Center looks like a younger version of the Giant Dragon mini.

Nature vs Machines (who are, let's face it, icky and yucky). Good guys for the win!
Old August 22nd, 2022, 11:23 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

The dragon is in the sketch...
Old August 22nd, 2022, 11:53 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

The Dryan are mine.

The pirates, as I've already explained, have a pretty complex synergy web, intended to work both bottom up and top down. We will see that the Dryan also have some internal synergy, but not nearly as much. It's built to be a nature-magic faction, with some nicey nice nature, and some nasty stuff. The backbone of the Dryan faction is the set of wizards, who are the masters of magic in their own realm.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 22nd, 2022, 12:33 PM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Glyphs are an essential part of balancing Heroscape maps. I'm sure there will be glyphs in the new set, even if they are just retreads of existing glyphs.
We've played custom "atmospheric" glyphs in our games (e.g., high winds (grounds all flyers), fog rolls in (cuts all range in half)) - I'd like to see something like this, but I'm just happy HS is coming back.
Old August 22nd, 2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
The Dryan are mine.

The pirates, as I've already explained, have a pretty complex synergy web, intended to work both bottom up and top down. We will see that the Dryan also have some internal synergy, but not nearly as much. It's built to be a nature-magic faction, with some nicey nice nature, and some nasty stuff. The backbone of the Dryan faction is the set of wizards, who are the masters of magic in their own realm.
They let you drive *two* factions? What were they thinking? Who's steering this ship anyway?

--
--
--

--
Old August 22nd, 2022, 12:40 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

I have a couple of questions and ponderings:

Some of the bio info thus far has mentioned their home planets. Is the operating model still Valkyrie summoning armies to Valhalla from all kinds of planets, or are their some factions that are coming to Valhalla via different means (space travel or so)?

I thought one of the more interesting features in HeroScape was the idea that figures were summoned from different planets where conflicts were raging among different factions and continued the war in Valhalla, where they met their enemies from their homeplanet. Marr is probably the biggest example with the Vipers, the Marro and the Primadons. I will be interested to see if these kinds of stories will be constructed going forward.

And speaking of planets: Are the canon planets of the past done for? I think the new factions are impressive, but it's new factions on new planets. I find myself wondering about faction-building for the factions of OldScape and I think it is a complex topic. If NewScape brought out, for example, an Undead Skeleton Cavalry Warlord who boosted d20 rolls on undead figures, they would obviously need something new to not have dead-end synergy (Grimnak in RotV before Wave 1). Such a figure has huge synergy for a bunch of figures.... but only for those of us that have a big collection of OldScape. Will NewScape design such figures or will they tend to break with OldScape and create new stories, new planets and new synergy webs? I expect so, but I would love some of those synergy webs to have crossover synergy. It does make me wonder though, if we will see new Human or Orc Champions, Warlords or things like that where the size of synergy webs is small for NewScape and huge for OldScape.

And on the topic of different and new: I'm still personally struggling with the new stuff. The Dryan Lifeborne are my favorite thus far, but I will repeat what I have previously said, that a huge part of the appeal of HeroScape for me were the mainstream tropes present in it.

My HeroScape case is also home to an almost complete collection of Golem Arcana (missing two figures, one of which is the huge skeleton thing). Cool game, beautiful miniatures. Part of me didn't want to miss out on this unique entry in the chronicles of gaming (it uses basically a tiptoi dot reader pen to communicate with a tablet or phone and digitally supports a 3D minis board game), but part of me saw amazing miniatures for HeroScape customs. One big problem I have with it though is perhaps exactly what I see with the NewScape - the miniatures have their own distinct look, representing big factions (skeletal, nature-based, shiny imperial and dark, fiery, wild) and somehow just kind of clash with HeroScape optically and are really "out there" type figures. My 6-year old can identify basically every HeroScape figure, but if you put a Golem Aracana figure in front of him, he can't really tell you what it is. I'm afraid the same thing looks to be coming with NewScape.

It is what it is and I can't change it. And I don't want to rain on anyone's parade. Maybe there will be units that fit my taste, but I'm afraid the balance of price and appeal will be more present here than back then.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old August 22nd, 2022, 12:41 PM

Swarm knows what's in an order marker Swarm knows what's in an order marker Swarm knows what's in an order marker

These are stunningly beautiful concepts, @Dad_Scaper . Can't wait to paint those models !
Old August 22nd, 2022, 12:42 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

double post oops

= =
Old August 22nd, 2022, 12:43 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
The Dryan are mine.

They let you drive *two* factions? What were they thinking? Who's steering this ship anyway?
Hah!

I brought cookies.

= =
Old August 22nd, 2022, 12:56 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

The question of Power Creep comes into any discusion of synergy with Old and New. I certainly saw Power Creep in the newer old Scape, deny though some would. So boosting up old weak units like the Grok Riders would in fact be great. Low cost figures like Bol, who I use a lot, can still be the comedy relief, with an occasional coup de main!

Last edited by chas; August 22nd, 2022 at 09:15 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion