Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software
Software Software created for enhancing HeroScape

Old November 11th, 2022, 10:38 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Heroscape.org - New Software Support for Heroscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Curious if you'll be working on setup/management of OHS format type events? I know the OHS team already has their own way/tool of doing this...and it seems pretty slick...but I'm curious if you have plans or ideas around a setup that would allow an OHS event to be run by someone other than the OHS team without having to use their matchup tool. For example, in terms of armies, tracking, scoring, matchups this tool still works...the only thing that wouldn't is that OHS requires a specific game link to the online map/game.

do you have plans to sync the OHS tool into this site or create your own tool that would be able to generate the game links for OHS events? I'm really curious because I'd love to be able to run my own OHS events for my YT Channel without having to bug the OHS team for use of their skills/tools every time.
To answer the direct question: no, I don't have any such active plans.

I'm not fundamentally opposed to the idea, but I think there are some complications, and I would likely only undertake this if I thought it would be an easy addition (which, right now, I don't).

The biggest complication is that I don't want any formal link between an account on Heroscapers.com & Heroscape.org, which might make what you are describing difficult to do (i.e. if you had different usernames on different sites).

But there are other technical complications, for example manipulating the Google Docs programmatically. Things I imagine I could do, but would take meaningful effort.

However, I know that @MegaSilver is currently using Heroscape.org to run his OST Season 1. So I imagine I'll get feedback from him during & after the event about what worked easily and what didn't while using both platforms and perhaps re-evaluate based on how that goes.
Old November 12th, 2022, 12:06 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

thanks for the info! Hopefully that could be a possibility...then we could really centralize all recording of heroscape events to one location...which would be pretty neat.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old November 12th, 2022, 03:47 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
FWIW

Our stuff does use some backend programming that I kind of understand. (It's actually different from the stuff we've used for single day events or that I created for Scapecon from those templates) The pairing system we use is much more complicated than anything Chris has set up. It's not impossible, but it's definitely something that would require more steps and probably a lot of collaborative effort.

~Dysole, informationally
Old November 12th, 2022, 11:37 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Sharing an update from the Peoria monthly event, which used the Tourney software today.

Their tournament experienced the website's server partially crashing several times today (for the same reason each time). I was able to manually re-start the server each time, at which point they caught up with entering results and proceeded with using the site.

The crash was happening intermittently when someone submitted a game result.

I have figured out what caused the server crash to happened, but am not sure why it was triggered (to me, the combination of things that caused the crash should never have been possible, so I'm a bit flummoxed by it).

I made several small changes that were definitely code improvements, and may or may not have fixed the actual issue. I wasn't able to replicate the crash outside of watching it happen during Peoria's event, so I can't be sure if the issue is fixed now or not.

However, I did implement a patch that will inform the user if it happens again and avoid crashing the entire server (some error handling looking for the set of conditions that I thought were impossible). The user should then just have to refresh the page and re-enter their result, which will hopefully go through the 2nd time (that information is listed in the error message also).

I've also added some additional logging information on the server to store some more information about what caused the set of conditions I thought to be impossible, so if it happens again I will (hopefully) have more info to debug it further.

I wanted to pass this information along, in case anyone else experiences this error message in the future, both so that they know some more about the error and also as a request to please tell me if anyone sees this new error message / experiences game result entry failure.
Old November 13th, 2022, 10:44 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I was quite surprised by the matchups in this event. Why were winning players given byes?

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old November 13th, 2022, 10:48 AM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Also Vegietarian and Vegie's dad both had the same record and same strength of schedule (perhaps partially because they both got a bye). I'd expect their game against each other, which VD won, to be the tie breaker, but the standings have Vegie listed first.

--
--
--

--
Old November 13th, 2022, 11:08 AM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
I was quite surprised by the matchups in this event. Why were winning players given byes?
That was my decision, I manually adjusted the byes. In general I would give them to the players with the lowest record, but I also try not to give byes to people who drove significant distances unless they ask for them. (Zeek asked for the last round bye so he could head home early, his drive is 3-4 hrs) TLDR; I gave the byes to local players regardless of records.

Tournament Record:128-54 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Old November 13th, 2022, 11:09 AM

Thanks for clarifying!

--
--
--

--
Old November 14th, 2022, 07:49 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I was working with the autoload builder and tried to search "mariedian" and only found a couple of them: Soontir and m-43. Sorry if already stated. this is a cool project!

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old November 14th, 2022, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
I was working with the autoload builder and tried to search "mariedian" and only found a couple of them: Soontir and m-43. Sorry if already stated. this is a cool project!
It feels like you're saying a unit is missing from the list, but I don't know which unit.

-----------------------

Edit: Nevermind. I think you're suggesting the search bar should include searching the text of 'species' (and probably some other characteristics).

Last edited by Chris Perkins; November 14th, 2022 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Reading comprehension
Old November 14th, 2022, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Perkins View Post
It feels like you're saying a unit is missing from the list, but I don't know which unit.

-----------------------

Edit: Nevermind. I think you're suggesting the search bar should include searching the text of 'species' (and probably some other characteristics).
I assumed the latter. I'm hoping at some point the backing database is updated; searching for figures this way is very unreliable right now.

--
--
--

--
Old November 14th, 2022, 08:12 PM

@Muskie

I just added 'species', 'personality', and 'class' as additional fields to be searched (it previously only checked name and special powers).

The page might require a force-refresh (hold 'ctrl' when doing a refresh) to see the change.

@caps In which way do you view the backing database as being unreliable? Is there still any incorrect info? If so please let me know and I'll get it fixed.

If you're referring to Muskie's search in particular, this isn't an issue of the species not being in the database, it's that the page wasn't checking that field when doing the search.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software