Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old December 1st, 2017, 03:58 PM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Glyphs - Which ones do you use?

When I first got into Heroscape, I used every glyph there was, but it didn't take long before I started to see how terribly strong some of them were. This was particularly true with the Glyph of Astrid (Attack +1). I had many games where this glyph determined the game. Now, I suppose that can be desired in some scenarios, but it clearly was overpowered for our standard games. Does this glyph frequent anyone's maps?

I would like to come up with a typical pool of glyphs that I use for my games, but am looking for input on this. What glyphs do you use? Which ones have you found overpowered? Is there anywhere that ranks them by strength?

I'm interested in opinions on both standard Glyphs and Treasure Glyphs.
Old December 1st, 2017, 04:00 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Glyphs - Which ones do you use?

I just check the online tournaments and see what they typically use for their random glyphs...that's a pretty good indication to me on which ones are balanced.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old December 1st, 2017, 04:31 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Someone once made a really good post detailing the glyphs and which ones are good to use. I’ll try to dig it up once I have a bit more time.

Personally, my favorite glyphs are Initiative, Move, and Wound, and those are the three I generally use when I’m getting a game going quick. Other good ones for a general pool are Healing and Unique Attack.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19

Last edited by BiggaBullfrog; December 1st, 2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old December 1st, 2017, 04:57 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Here's the GenCon glyph pool:

Healer -- Kelda
D20 -- Lodin
Unique Attack -- Ulaniva
Wound -- Wannok
Move -- Valda
Initiative -- Dagmar

I also tend to like Defense +1 -- Gerda.
Old December 1st, 2017, 05:16 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post

Healer -- Kelda
D20 -- Lodin
Unique Attack -- Ulaniva
Wound -- Wannok
Move -- Valda
Initiative -- Dagmar

This. The GenCon pool is an ideal mix of balance with impact.

One of these days, I'm gonna write up that "so you want to run a tournament" document I've been meaning to for years...
Old December 1st, 2017, 05:39 PM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:

Healer -- Kelda
D20 -- Lodin
Unique Attack -- Ulaniva
Wound -- Wannok
Move -- Valda
Initiative -- Dagmar
Excellent. I think that's the same glyph pool that was used in the only tournament I've been to so far. I don't have any strong feelings against any of these (though Valda gets close).

Quote:
This one I'm on the fence about. It's seemed quite strong at times before. You've never found it to be game unbalancing?
Old December 1st, 2017, 05:42 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

It’s strong. If you use Gerda, I’d drop a weaker glyph from the pool (probably Lodin). Wannok and Valda are both quite strong as well.
Old December 1st, 2017, 05:45 PM

Very true about Wannok. I've seen that have a strong impact as well.
Old December 1st, 2017, 05:57 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:

Healer -- Kelda
D20 -- Lodin
Unique Attack -- Ulaniva
Wound -- Wannok
Move -- Valda
Initiative -- Dagmar

With a little bit of variation, this seems to be fairly standard for competitive play. My favorite ones from this pool are also Move, Initiative, and Wound. To me, they're the only ones that are consistently worth grabbing without being overpowered.

D20 and Unique Attack have situational use depending on the army type, so they range from moderately useful to completely useless. Healer is great, but the fact that it's temporary means that it plays very differently than the other glyphs. As a mapmaker, it's a glyph I've been reluctant to use, as it only attracts players in mid-late game, and once it's gone, it no longer draws attention to that part of the map.

Defense is one of the glyphs I've been more conflicted on. I've seen it work fairly well in some games, but be far overpowered in others. I think if you're going to use it, it's best to place it in a vulnerable position in the center of the map (either on level 0 or 1) and in plain sight. That way it's readily accessible to everyone and difficult to hold. It's far more frustrating to encounter with maps that have two glyphs on opposite ends. If your army ends up concentrated on the left side, and the Defense glyph is on the right, it can feel almost impossible to regain control of it. For that reason, I would be reluctant to use Defense in a random glyph pool.
Old December 1st, 2017, 06:19 PM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

We tend to avoid the generic Attack + 1 and Common Attack +1 in our games. I don't mind the Defense + 1 but never use the Defense + 2.

Personally, I don't like the Move + 2. It can really change the dynamic to have figures moving 7 or 8 spaces.

Standard Pool:
Unique Attack +1
Defense +1
Initiative
Lodin / Lucky d20
Intercept Order (one-shot)
Kelda / Healing (one-shot)

And Pit Trap occasionally makes it in to the rotation : )

Last event, I had some custom rules for Wind and Thorian. Basically when activated they affected both sides (Wind - no flying and Thorian - no normal ranged attacks). But the effect was only for 3 turns and then the glyph was removed.
Old December 1st, 2017, 06:49 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

I've never really had a problem with most of the glyphs - even Astrid I was always okay with. The only ones I stopped using were Jalguard and Thorian - those two really can **** of. Jalguard I particularly dislike - the presence of Defence +2 when Gerda's Defence +1 exists just felt uninspired and unnecessary - they even used the same bloody graphic for it too.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old December 1st, 2017, 10:24 PM

Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Wannok (wound) is my personal favorite, one that I can throw into any given game. It's the perfect mix of being valuable without being overpowered.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion