Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Old July 12th, 2016, 04:47 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth
Re: Pokemon Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpriteMichaeler View Post
I love the promise of bi-weekly updates for the game to bring new features. I would expect trainer vs trainer battles to come very quickly. Gotta be hot on the wishlist.
This.. and I hope they add trainer to trainer trading, soon. There are 4 of us in the family using the app and it would be great to swap Pokémon or items.

Edit: and, unless I've missed it in the game, it would be great to be able to tell at least the general direction of the nearby Pokémon, as opposed to just relative distance.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old July 12th, 2016, 06:39 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I hope they add trainer-to-trainer combat soon. That's something I'm looking forward to and thought it would happen at gyms.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old July 12th, 2016, 09:23 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
Edit: and, unless I've missed it in the game, it would be great to be able to tell at least the general direction of the nearby Pokémon, as opposed to just relative distance.
Well supposedly you can tell, with this not-so-friendly system.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old July 13th, 2016, 03:41 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

BEHOLD! Our future...

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old July 13th, 2016, 08:04 AM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I feel like the gyms/battling are a hot mess right now, in bad ways. In my experience, the best way to battle is just mashing your screen, I feel like dodging takes way too many frames to animate and you still get hit by a second attack anyway. Dodging IS useful to avoid the charged special attacks, for the most part. Some of the special moves also seem to take a while to fire, while dealing small damage even when 1x effective on target.

It is nice that you can pick your 6 to bring into the fight AND you can switch mid-battle, but because of the laggy servers I feel like switching is pointless, both my retreating and my entering pokes lose so much hp in the process. I also like that you can team up with nearby teammates and literally double or even triple team the gym defenders. This is unfortunately why any reasonably populated area will see a constant shift in gym control. As said above, it is easy to take a gym, and hard to hold one for more than a handful of hours, let alone a full day to get your next reward.

The two move slots wouldn't bother me so much if the moves weren't totally random and I have no control over them. I have a kingler that doesn't even know a water type move (I think he knows a normal and a bug move, that's kind of irritating.) I'd like to have control over what moves my pokes learn as they increase in cp and evolve.

I'd MUCH rather see the turn based come back. It's classic pokemon game style anyway. I bet it would be easier on the servers to not be queried with so many attacks with people mashing their screens, and I think it would make battles more strategic (and understandable.) With this current garbage it makes me wonder how they will do pvp.... and if it will even be fun.
Old July 13th, 2016, 09:28 AM

SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
They're pretty easy to track down. Each circle is about a block, so at most, the pokemon is 3 blocks away. Start walking, see where the feet icon changes, turn 180 degrees around. Walk back the other way until the feet changes. Find the halfway point, turn 90 degrees and walk. You're either headed straight to it or the complete opposite way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwiker View Post
I feel like the gyms/battling are a hot mess right now, in bad ways. In my experience, the best way to battle is just mashing your screen, I feel like dodging takes way too many frames to animate and you still get hit by a second attack anyway. Dodging IS useful to avoid the charged special attacks, for the most part. Some of the special moves also seem to take a while to fire, while dealing small damage even when 1x effective on target.

This is unfortunately why any reasonably populated area will see a constant shift in gym control. As said above, it is easy to take a gym, and hard to hold one for more than a handful of hours, let alone a full day to get your next reward.

The two move slots wouldn't bother me so much if the moves weren't totally random and I have no control over them. I have a kingler that doesn't even know a water type move (I think he knows a normal and a bug move, that's kind of irritating.) I'd like to have control over what moves my pokes learn as they increase in cp and evolve.
Dodging is huge. You can win a battle without getting hit. It can be very useful. Start practicing now, because when gyms are powered up and you're taking your 6 against 8, you'll need it.

The best way to think about gyms is how get maximize your rewards. Without significant support, it's impossible to hold. With support, it's time consuming and not worth it. Go capture 2-4 gyms as quickly as possible, claim your rewards, and do it again the next day. Without a global leaderboard, there is no incentive to hold gyms.

Moves are indeed random, but as you level up, you'll have more options. Be picky about what you evolve and use. I have a Kingler who knows Mud Slap and Water Pulse, and he tanks everything. Takes down all 3 Eevolutions, which are the most prevalent pokes in my area.
Old July 13th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
The best way to think about gyms is how get maximize your rewards. Without significant support, it's impossible to hold. With support, it's time consuming and not worth it. Go capture 2-4 gyms as quickly as possible, claim your rewards, and do it again the next day. Without a global leaderboard, there is no incentive to hold gyms.
Yup. I just started doing more concentrated gym runs as response to that. It's too hard trying to pick them up along the way of your normal stuff and expect to get a defender bonus of anything more than like two. Today I just blitzed three gyms at 8am, but I got my defender bonus reset to go back two hours for tomorrow to like 6am. Tomorrow I can probably get 7 or 8 if I plan out a good route.

Quote:
Moves are indeed random, but as you level up, you'll have more options. Be picky about what you evolve and use. I have a Kingler who knows Mud Slap and Water Pulse, and he tanks everything. Takes down all 3 Eevolutions, which are the most prevalent pokes in my area.
Again correct, this is way more collecting based than normal Pokemon. You have to track down Pokemon with the moves you want. I still don't know the differences between some of the moves or which ones of the same type are better, but I try not to evolve anything that has two moves of the same type. You don't want to have super matchup dependent Pokemon. You can switch, but you end up taking a lot of damage on the switched guy anyway since it doesn't pause.

Of course, that's just for common stuff like Pidgeys. For the Eevees just evolve your strongest since his moves change on Evolution. And rare stuff just roll with what you got.
Old July 13th, 2016, 10:45 AM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Thanks, @keglo and @SpriteMichaeler , I had seen that, and was able to track down a Meowth using that method, but I'm still hoping they will add a directional cue. I often have only a certain amount of time to walk (especially in the morning before work) and I try to get to as many Pokestops as I can. I hate wasting time (and missing out on items) on a wild-goose chase.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old July 13th, 2016, 02:58 PM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpriteMichaeler
Dodging is huge. You can win a battle without getting hit. It can be very useful. Start practicing now, because when gyms are powered up and you're taking your 6 against 8, you'll need it.
I'm not sold on dodging anything but the charged special attacks. Game is too laggy and pokemon seem to attack fast in general.

As far as 6v8 goes, I almost always have a friend and/or my wife with me. Gyms can't win an 8 v 18 getting triple teamed lol. We've beaten gym mons in the 1200 cp range with our guys only in the 900s. Type advantage also makes taking gyms too easy. I want live pvp.

Last edited by Unhinged Manchild; July 13th, 2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old July 13th, 2016, 04:51 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

I've heard of people beating gyms with taking no damage by weaving in attacks in between their dodges of every enemy attack. That's kind of lame if true. I just mash buttons to beat gyms since most of the time when I'm doing gyms I'm doing it to waste my potions and revives and convert them to XP.

I think they are adding live PVP but that won't be for control of gyms. They want this game to be like Ingress where anyone can take a gym if they really want to.

And the nearby system probably will not get changed unfortunately. In the beta supposedly it had distance in kilometers instead of the pawprints, but they changed it for the final release because it was too easy to pinpoint a location.
Old July 13th, 2016, 08:32 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Thanks, @keglo and @SpriteMichaeler , I had seen that, and was able to track down a Meowth using that method, but I'm still hoping they will add a directional cue. I often have only a certain amount of time to walk (especially in the morning before work) and I try to get to as many Pokestops as I can. I hate wasting time (and missing out on items) on a wild-goose chase.
Oh I'm totally with you on that. I do not like the current tracking system at all. I had assumed that you would just simply chose a pokemon that is close to you and your avatar would turn in that direction. The way it is now I don't even want to bother with tracking. I end up just walking around and catching whatever pops up.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old July 14th, 2016, 09:36 AM

SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
Quote:
Oh I'm totally with you on that. I do not like the current tracking system at all. I had assumed that you would just simply chose a pokemon that is close to you and your avatar would turn in that direction. The way it is now I don't even want to bother with tracking. I end up just walking around and catching whatever pops up.
So, I actually learned another new trick yesterday. In addition to the rings trick, have you ever noticed the green ring flashing around the nearby box? That means you are FACING whatever pokemon you have selected. If you haven't selected one, it means you're facing something. Should make tracking much easier. Going to test and verify for myself this afternoon at lunch.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games