Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old September 18th, 2010, 11:38 PM

Tolamos knows what's in an order marker Tolamos knows what's in an order marker
STRESS! How do you relieve it?

Hey everyone! I have been having a hard time lately. I have been under a lot of stress. So I was wondering how you guys deal with stress?

I recently had appendicitis, so I was on medical leave from work for a while. Then the day I went back to work, I got fired. Many other stressful things have happened also, but being out of a job and having all these medical bills is by far the worst of it.

I have been feeling sick, so much so that I decided to go to the doctor. It turns out that my sickness is caused by stress. Go figure... So anyway, my cure is to relieve myself of stress. Easier said than done.

My wife has helped me out a lot! She has been committing endless hours taking care of me and I am so thankful that she is with me. My faith has also helped me out quite a bit. God has led me through plenty of tough times before, and I trust that he will do so once again.

And then there are you guys... This online community has actually helped to relieve some of my stress. Some of the things I read bring a smile to my face, and the length of that "D3 speculation" thread is crazy! I am glad that this great group of people exists and, though I have never met a single one of you, I want to thank you for what you have done for me!

(sorry, I didn't mean to go on a rant like that, it just happened)

My Customs! Trades

"Say hello to my little friend!"
Old September 18th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Online HS Season 6 Champion

TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: STRESS! How do you relieve it?

Take some time to think about all of the things that you're fortunate enough to have. Your wife.

Even having lunch, be thankful for it and smile while you eat it. If you miss a meal, all the reason to be happier for the next.

Hope things turn around for you.
Old September 19th, 2010, 12:17 AM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I eat when I'm stressed. Then I get more stressed out that I ate like a slob so I freak out and go running till I hurt and dry heave. It's a pretty sweet system.
Old September 19th, 2010, 01:35 AM
wants to have Anne Hathaway's babies

Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby!

The ways I'd like deal with stress are unhealthier than the stress itself.
Old September 19th, 2010, 02:10 AM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Doing, *ahem*, "adult" things is a pretty good way to relieve stress.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old September 19th, 2010, 04:11 AM

Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker

I try to have fun. I play a videogame, I grab some snacks and see what's on TV. I go out and shoot targets...and finally the best cure for stress...without doing "adult" things. is talking to someone about it.
Old September 19th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Board games, friends, ultimate. They work for me.

Exercise is a big one, if you don't play ultimate & PGS' *ahem* suggestion doesn't work for you, some people like swimming, others run... Very effective, for me. An afternoon of disc washes away a week's worth of stress, every time.

I don't think video games actually make stress go away. They just put it off for awhile, though your mileage may vary.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:08 AM

Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby!

I get stressed for various reasons including college homework, medical problems, and other smaller things that make can make life pretty unpleasant.
Depending on what the situation is, there are several ways I handle the stress.

1. If I'm stressed because of something big that's going on (for me, it used to be about the way the economy is heading), I'd take some deep breaths, and face the fact that absolutely no amount of worrying I did would solve the problem, so I might as well just focus on something else and not get so wrapped up in things I couldn't control. If you ask me, stuff like that is best left to someone much bigger (God) and prayer is the best way to handle it.

2. If it's something more manageable (like homework), I again take deep, calming breaths, and make sure to throw in a nice number of breaks so that it feels like I'm not tackling a mountain of a problem all at once.

3. Finally, I can tell myself to just not let a problem take a hold of me. Lots of times, I will get stressed over something one day, only to have it practically take care of itself the next day. This alone can be an effective stress reliever. In short, I think that some worries that come with stress can wind up becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. If I wind up just calming myself and saying that everything will turn out okay, that the problem can be much more manageable.

Hope this helps, and that everything will turn out great! And like TheSparkleInYourWater said, be thankful for all the good things you still have. It could be worse.

It's not whether you win or lose. It's having the 4th Massachusetts Line that counts!
I see nothing, I hear nothing, and I know NOTHING!--Sgt. Shultz, Hogan's Heroes
My custom terrain
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

I throw people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; September 20th, 2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Judo is fun.
Old September 19th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Bot Bloodhound

Fen_Hydra has disabled reputation

I read, play Heroscape, or play D&D. (Depends on my mood and how many people around would like to play 'scape or D&D.)
Old September 19th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Lots of good ideas already. I'd add gardening and reading to the list of stress-relieving pastimes that work for me (alongside boardgames, exercise, throwing people and *ahem* activities). Beer too, but I find it less relaxing if I'm not in a good mood to start with.

More generally, cultivate the ability to sit down and watch the world go past. My wife often teases me that I consider sitting and reading simultaneously to be multitasking, but there's a lot to be said for a comfy chair and your own thoughts.
Old September 19th, 2010, 06:28 PM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I just listen to music. Basically anyone signed to Brushfire Records does the trick quite nicely. Though, I don't really get stressed all that often, so I don't need to worry about it.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General