Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old September 28th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Re: How DnD screwed up Heroscape

I was at a con yesterday in Connecticut and the vendor had a D&D master set for sale. I didn't ask how much it was. I was surprised to see anyone still selling Heroscape.

Old September 28th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

I actually really liked the D&D stuff - my favourite classic Unique Hero and Common Squad, Heirloom and the Warforged Soldiers, came from it after all, and Uncommon Heroes were something that, IMO, has been needed since the beginning. My few problems with it were the Eladrin (not calling them Elves was silly - they have Humans, Orcs, Dwarves and Dragons on different worlds, even with cross polinating synergy, what was the problem with Elves?) and the sole use of one theme for the time it was in production. I didn't even have a problem with the theme itself - I had no issue with D&D characters being in Heroscape. It is the Battle for All Time, after all, just about anything fits the way I see it. It just would have been nice to see more stuff from other places as well, especially historical settings. I liked seeing alot of the D&D stuff thematically, even though I'm only sketchily familiar with D&D from a half-played computer game RPG here and there - the new worlds and settings didn't bother me one jot.

One thing that did sting, however, was the fliers for D&D in the last wave. Any other wave, I wouldn't have had a problem - in that one it felt like a kick in the crotch.

That said, I'm glad it was discontinued, in a way - I'd never have got into Superscape if it wasn't, and I think the game is be even more exciting with the fans at the helm.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old September 28th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

Don't forget the cost of molds, the cost of developing new concepts, the cost of sculpting new figures, figuring out paint schemes, etc. Half the reason D&D Heroscape exists is they were using already existing molds. Big cost savings. I think that's the main reason they went the route they did. All of the other ideas and thoughts mentioned in this thread were just gravy to them. Hire some freelancers to produce the statistics of the cards (which they did) keeps the cost even lower. Especially since the freelancers were very well versed in the mechanics of the game. Now you have the cost of printing the cards, the die line to punch them out is a standing die you already have. What other cost do you need to incur? Packaging development, cost of your materials, retooling the base of the figures, and shipping and distribution. Face it, WotC was able to roll these waves out a lot cheaper than Hasbro. No expert here, just been in the printing business awhile and am second guessing what might have been going on at the time.
Old September 29th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Another thing that bugs me. The introduction of Valkrill. Now you have units that are evil, but that aren't affected by units such as Templar Knights and even Ana Karithon, another DnD fig. Sure it's just thematic, but it just seems wrong... I mean Mezzodaemeons aren't affected by Protection from Evil?!!

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old September 29th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Pssst...

Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post
Another thing that bugs me. The introduction of Valkrill. Now you have units that are evil, but that aren't affected by units such as Templar Knights and even Ana Karithon, another DnD fig. Sure it's just thematic, but it just seems wrong... I mean Mezzodaemeons aren't affected by Protection from Evil?!!
That is my major critique. I'm okay with basically everything, but the thematic issues caused by Valkrill's late release were annoying. Righteous smite thematically, in my mind, makes more sense against the chaotic evil seeking death to all than the structured evil that is out for personal gain. But that is a minor complaint and I agree with its better than nothing and that it was the right business move to try and keep it alive. I do really enjoy a lot of the pieces like the deathchasers, wyrmlings, and hydra to name but a few. Just my .

"Hello my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."~Inigo Montoya.

Pssst...
Old September 29th, 2014, 11:10 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Let's face it: the game would have been best had WotC developed and produced it from the beginning. Then it would have had, at least, a unified theme -- not the "let's throw everything into the blender" excuse for a so-called 'theme' that Classic Scape had.
Old September 30th, 2014, 12:34 AM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

I do like a lot of the abilities that the D&D units have, but it's just that they're all not that visually appealing. Some do fit in with the regular Scape aesthetic both in regards to how they look and their abilities (like the Greenscale Warriors) and others just have cool abilities and don't look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Let's face it: the game would have been best had WotC developed and produced it from the beginning. Then it would have had, at least, a unified theme -- not the "let's throw everything into the blender" excuse for a so-called 'theme' that Classic Scape had.
I can't tell if this is a cleverly disguised joke/troll post or not.

Leaning towards joke. Either way we have to confiscate your Scape card.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old September 30th, 2014, 08:21 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post

Hee hee.

It was intended light-heartedly, and lovingly, but seriously. I adore 'Scape despite its 'theme', not because of it, and would love it even more if it presented a unified milieu. Classic fantasy.... Space opera sci fi.... Post-apocalyptic... Ancient.... Whatever, as long as it chose one and stuck with it. The lack of any thematic cohesion kept me far away from the game until WotC finally came in and introduced some.
Old September 30th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

The mix-match is what captured me and made me stay.
Old September 30th, 2014, 09:12 AM

Dragon4201976 rolls all skulls baby! Dragon4201976 rolls all skulls baby! Dragon4201976 rolls all skulls baby! Dragon4201976 rolls all skulls baby!

I myself think D&D Scape would have been excepted better if it was a total stand alone and they made it a good v's evil style. Take away the generals.
Just plain D&D battle for the Underdark.
Then if it was Profitable for WOTC they could have revisited The original Heroscape line down the road, Trying to integrate D&D and Classic Scape was a mistake in MO. But they did it and they didn't feel it succeeded so they Advertised the end of Scape and promoted D&D. WOTC at its best!

Born of Two Signs / Also Might have Two Sides
Old September 30th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post

Hee hee.

It was intended light-heartedly, and lovingly, but seriously. I adore 'Scape despite its 'theme', not because of it, and would love it even more if it presented a unified milieu. Classic fantasy.... Space opera sci fi.... Post-apocalyptic... Ancient.... Whatever, as long as it chose one and stuck with it. The lack of any thematic cohesion kept me far away from the game until WotC finally came in and introduced some.
If I remember correctly, this is what Matt Drake said about it. And he's one of my favorite game critics out there, and an alum of this very board. T22 is not alone in staking out this ground, and has good company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
The mix-match is what captured me and made me stay.
It's my sense that this opinion is probably that of most 'Scaper's, though.

It's worth noting that the games spawned by Heroscape - Summoner Wars, Battleship Galaxies, others - do not adopt the "Battle of All Time" theme.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 30th, 2014, 09:32 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
It's worth noting that the games spawned by Heroscape - Summoner Wars, Battleship Galaxies, others - do not adopt the "Battle of All Time" theme.
Those games figured, "Why try to improve on perfection?"

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion