Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old January 29th, 2014, 09:40 PM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshMEL View Post
A suggestion on a thematic defense bonus:

For each Valiant figure you control within 2 clear sight spaces of this Bladesman, this Bladesman may re-roll one defense die once.

Needs wordsmithing but it would get across the Valiant idea and work with the first power.
I'm not sure if I agree with this one. While it would be a nice boost, the thing that I found most appealing about the Bladesmen is how they took the inherent weakness of being only a two figure squad and gained a bonus from that. I am worried that an ability that increases their defense for the more of them (or other figures) present will run counter to this sub-theme.
I like the re-roll ability, not sure that other valiant figures around is the way to go.

The major issue I see right now, is that the current ability as written for Jandar's Favor, works against ranged too. For these guys to be viable, they would need a way to survive vs range. Re-doing the Jandar's Favor ability would need to address that I think.

Perhaps a combination or re-rolling + combat prowess including each enemy they are engaged with gives them +1/+1 attack/defensive dice.

Or a Bonus defensive dice for each Skull that is rolled against them(a cap would likely be needed.)

I will have to think about this, I don't have a solution as if this moment if many of you feel Jandar's Favor just doesn't fit the card. I am certainly open to suggestions.

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.
Old January 29th, 2014, 09:55 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinseth View Post
The major issue I see right now, is that the current ability as written for Jandar's Favor, works against ranged too. For these guys to be viable, they would need a way to survive vs range. Re-doing the Jandar's Favor ability would need to address that I think.

Perhaps a combination or re-rolling + combat prowess including each enemy they are engaged with gives them +1/+1 attack/defensive dice.

Or a Bonus defensive dice for each Skull that is rolled against them(a cap would likely be needed.)

I will have to think about this, I don't have a solution as if this moment if many of you feel Jandar's Favor just doesn't fit the card. I am certainly open to suggestions.
All those other powers also feel arbitrary.

It's okay for them to not be quite as good against range. They don't have to do and be everything. 4 Defense is pretty tough. Also, they're the same against melee as they are against screened range.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old January 29th, 2014, 10:00 PM

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

Caps part of the point of these guys is they have been imbued with a defensive ability by Jandar, does that notion in itself feel arbitrary to you ?

I'd have to revisit their cost if they are weakened vs range. Part of their cost was based on their toughness vs range also.

Old January 29th, 2014, 10:02 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
1 .The devour ability allows for much more maneuverability than Grimnak has and even gives the possibility of claiming the high ground or taking a glyph in the process of consuming the little commoner.

2. While the demon can kill common squad members effortlessly, it can only manage to destroy one per round (as opposed to Grimnak's potential two).

3. Thematically, I am not convinced that it's a demon but I'm fine with going for it.

4. I am quite curious to hear how it plays as clean up and how devastating it may be in that role.
1. He cannot Devour figures on glyphs.

2. I'm sure you meant once per turn, not round.

3. He's based on the Sandworms from Dune, and his name is an anagram for their Fremen name Shai-Hulud. Though the Fremen called them the "Old Man of the Desert," most non-natives referred to them as Demons.

4. Yeah, he's really meant to be am end-game unit. I cannot wait to do some testing and see how he performs. Others are welcome too!

Last edited by MegaSilver; January 29th, 2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old January 29th, 2014, 10:04 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Caps part of the point of these guys is they have been imbued with a defensive ability by Jandar, does that notion in itself feel arbitrary to you?
Yes, I think it does. It feels more like you wanted them to have a special defensive power and decided that a blessing from Jandar was a good thematic defense for one. I just don't see it there.

--
--
--

--
Old January 29th, 2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
Caps part of the point of these guys is they have been imbued with a defensive ability by Jandar, does that notion in itself feel arbitrary to you?
Yes, I think it does. It feels more like you wanted them to have a special defensive power and decided that a blessing from Jandar was a good thematic defense for one. I just don't see it there.
I guess I am just not following that you don't think having a defensive ability makes sense.

Is that how others also feel? Or that most are just against using the jandar dice for these figures ? And if the defensive ability was redone it could be justified?

Old January 29th, 2014, 10:31 PM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth

I don't have a problem with Jandar's Favor theme-wise personally. Plenty of units have powers that come from items their general gave them. If their supposed to be his 'elite guard' type guys it makes sense he would give them a little boost.

Having said that, dropping Jandar's Favor and adding a defense boost into Combat Prowess does seem more interesting to me.

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store
Old January 30th, 2014, 12:44 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Is that how others also feel? Or that most are just against using the jandar dice for these figures ? And if the defensive ability was redone it could be justified?
Like I said, the package as a whole doesn't feel especially focused, but I'm not too bothered by it. Sometimes a unit just needs a bit of a boost.
Old January 30th, 2014, 12:53 AM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Quote:
1 .The devour ability allows for much more maneuverability than Grimnak has and even gives the possibility of claiming the high ground or taking a glyph in the process of consuming the little commoner.

2. While the demon can kill common squad members effortlessly, it can only manage to destroy one per round (as opposed to Grimnak's potential two).

3. Thematically, I am not convinced that it's a demon but I'm fine with going for it.

4. I am quite curious to hear how it plays as clean up and how devastating it may be in that role.
1. He cannot Devour figures on glyphs.

2. I'm sure you meant once per turn, not round.

3. He's based on the Sandworms from Dune, and his name is an anagram for their Fremen name Shai-Hulud. Though the Fremen called them the "Old Man of the Desert," most non-natives referred to them as Demons.

4. Yeah, he's really meant to be am end-game unit. I cannot wait to do some testing and see how he performs. Others are welcome too!
I was a little more rushed writing this one than I normally do these since I had to run somewhere. Probably should have just copied what I had and saved it for later. In any case:

1. I missed the part about glyphs. Oops. I was looking at the Devour ability and not looking at underground movement close enough to realize it specified empty spaces. Your wording is absolutely correct, but I just wonder if others will be prone to make the same mistake. Not sure if there is a great way to fix that without loading more text into Devour.

2. I absolutely meant once per turn. Didn't really have the chance to proof read it.

3. That sounds like a reasonable way to go for me. I'm not as familiar with Dune, so when I look at it I see Purple Worm from D&D which is very much not a demon. Then again, Mezzoloths are Yugoloths which are Neutral Evil outsiders and very much not Tanar'ri (by far the most abundant form of demons and demons typically refers exclusively to them), which are Chaotic Evil outsiders. Thus, I feel that there is some precedence for assigning races as demons that may not be explicitly demons.

4. Glad to hear my hunch was right on his intended role. I think he will prove to be a very strong choice for that spot. I'm cranking away on playtesting for my SoV application right now, but I'd be glad to run it in a game or two after I've worked through that.
Old January 30th, 2014, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
I guess I am just not following that you don't think having a defensive ability makes sense.
There's some room for arbitrary abilities being justified by back-story, but this one doesn't have any flavor. If you'll allow me a little bit of hyperbole, its' a little bit like a power that says:
JANDAR'S FAVOR
When the Bladesmen roll defense dice they may use Jandar Valkyrie dice and roll 1 additional defense die.
There's no condition on it, so it has nothing to make it interesting and it comes across as a really bland power. Giving them 5 defense would have more-or-less the same effect without cluttering the card with a 3rd power. Alternatively, if you want the players' choices to affect the value, roll it in with COMBAT PROWESS.

--
--
--

--
Old January 30th, 2014, 01:15 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Then again, Mezzoloths are Yugoloths which are Neutral Evil outsiders and very much not Tanar'ri (by far the most abundant form of demons and demons typically refers exclusively to them), which are Chaotic Evil outsiders. Thus, I feel that there is some precedence for assigning races as demons that may not be explicitly demons.
Mezzodemons (Mezzoloths) were Yugoloths in 3.x D&D (and perhaps earlier), but in 4th Edition (on which HS was based) they are honest-to-goodness demons.

I have to agree; I'd rather this worm wasn't a Demon. Just make up a race for it and let it be a monster.
Old January 30th, 2014, 01:17 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
4. Glad to hear my hunch was right on his intended role. I think he will prove to be a very strong choice for that spot. I'm cranking away on playtesting for my SoV application right now, but I'd be glad to run it in a game or two after I've worked through that.
You're going to be a very tough competitor for that position!

Me and AU have already done a playtest, and other than the new wording I'm going to update his defense to 5 for further playtesting.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards