Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old December 18th, 2013, 08:06 PM

truthd Woo who?
Advice on Getting Started

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and new to HeroScape. A couple years ago I started picking up board games to play with my wife, one of them was HeroScape Swarm of the Marro. We played it a couple times but it wasn't until recently that I really started to enjoy it.

Recently I managed to snag a RoTV set that came with the lava expansion, and a complete Wave 1 for a fairly reasonable price on ebay. Since then I've looked for some units here and there, adding a couple squads.

So my question, if you were just getting into HeroScape today (with the market being what it is) what would you decide to buy? What is essential to make a nice reasonable fun collection? What is a reasonable price to pay for some of this stuff?

Would you try and get any particular master sets, or expansions, or just collect units? Some of the later waves, like 8, 11, 12, and 13 are still available from some of the game websites.

What's your best advice on getting started?

Thanks!
Old December 18th, 2013, 08:22 PM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!
Re: Advice on Getting Started

Welcome aboard! IMO the best way to obtain heroscape (in this decade) is to just hunt around ebay and even the trade forums located on this site looking for units. If your thinking of just getting some random (good) units I would look on ebay. A lot of decent units that are nice for beginners can be found there for a well/slightly over priced option.

If you want to get units that would be used in a well balanced army (or just random units) I would suggest scouting the trade forums located here. A lot of users on this site are selling their collections and a lot of them have many units that are essential for a good collection, for a good price. I, however, would also check out some other sites (yes, there are others) that sell heroscape. Auggiesgames.com is one that comes to mind. They sell basic heroscape units that are okay to use.

Again, welcome aboard, and good luck!
-NS
Old December 18th, 2013, 08:31 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Get the easily available units. They are all fun to play.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; December 18th, 2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: I still don't have them all, and probably never will with the prices being what they are.
Old December 18th, 2013, 08:56 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

Welcome!

If you have a complete Wave 1, I'd repeat the advice someone gave to me here: get more Wave 1! (Not the heroes, of course). Having 2-3 of those squads will give you lots of army options, and there's plenty of fun synergies with the units you already have. Orm's Return is also really cheap and gives you some other big guys to play with.

If you look in the "Software" section here you'll see a link to the Argus site which has pricing information. Don't overpay!

Good luck!
Old December 18th, 2013, 09:41 PM
C-Wedgie

cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness

On the terrain expansions, I would get them in this order: Road to the Forgotten Forest, Fortress of the Archkyrie, Thaenleck Tundra, Volcarren Wasteland, & Ticalla Jungle.
On the buying of miniatures, I would search around locally, since a surprising amount of people have old 'scape lying around.

Though numerous pronunciation attempts have been made, I have recently spurned my moniker. Feel free to refer to me as BowTieJones instead.
Old December 18th, 2013, 10:08 PM

The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby!

//Begin self-serving plug

The absolute best way to get into Heroscape would be to buy from my trade thread, which can be found here. Some of my quantities are out of date, but I still have a very large selection of units and expansions available. Also take note that my prices are open to some negotiation.

//End self-serving plug
Old December 18th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Um... Why am I a moderator?

Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Also, when it comes to affordable scape', you might want to look into C3V.
Old December 19th, 2013, 01:29 AM

truthd Woo who?

Thanks for all the replies! You guys are very friendly.
Quote:
If your thinking of just getting some random (good) units I would look on ebay. A lot of decent units that are nice for beginners can be found there for a well/slightly over priced option.
It seems the hard part is knowing what is a good deal and what isn't. I've been checking ended ebay auctions, but that only gives a small snapshot in time. Is the Auggies pricing accurate, even if they are out of stock?

Quote:
If you have a complete Wave 1, I'd repeat the advice someone gave to me here: get more Wave 1!
This is interesting, my first instinct was to try and get a large variety, however this makes sense. I'm assuming it's because the strategy employed when having multiples, ie a mostly ranged team etc?

Quote:
On the terrain expansions, I would get them in this order: Road to the Forgotten Forest, Fortress of the Archkyrie, Thaenleck Tundra, Volcarren Wasteland, & Ticalla Jungle.
Thanks, this is really useful. Would you recommend trying to get 1 Forgotten Forest and one Fortress? Is it worth trying to get a second Fortress later?

Quote:
The absolute best way to get into Heroscape would be to buy from my trade thread, which can be found here.
I may be contacting you shortly about getting a couple of things!

Quote:
Also, when it comes to affordable scape', you might want to look into C3V.
I'll check it out, thanks!

Last question, is it worth picking up either the DnD master set or the Marvel master set? I was leaning a bit to trying to find a copy of the DnD set, but I really have no clue.
Old December 19th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

On this board we used to say "See Scape, buy Scape."

Also what everyone else said: watch the trade threads, get multiples of commons you like, consider the C3V.

The BftU terrain is more practical than the Marvel terrain, and obviously there's a big difference in the type of unit you get with each. I think most people play with Supers or regular, and do not mix them. I'm sure some people do mix them.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old December 31st, 2013, 01:35 AM

sam268 is surprisingly tart

Blade gruts go well with chompy and run pretty cheap. Romans go well with ne gok sa, and vipers are always a blast. But whatever you want to buy, buy!

And as for marvelscape vs dnd, It really depends. Marvelscape really isnt meant to be played with other heroscape in my opinion, but it can be fun if played as its own game.

Last edited by sam268; December 31st, 2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old December 31st, 2013, 07:11 PM
C3G Hero

Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness

If you like super heroes at all, I can not underestimate the awesomeness of C3G and other individual Super Custom Creators out there (such as myself). These FREE army cards all use the widely available, pre-painted and (mostly) inexpensive Heroclix miniatures. Best of all, you could just print out cards for the 10 characters included with the official Marvel set and use proxy Heroclix minis to see if you even like them before you invest in the actual Master Set.
Old January 9th, 2014, 01:33 PM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthd View Post
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and new to HeroScape. A couple years ago I started picking up board games to play with my wife, one of them was HeroScape Swarm of the Marro. We played it a couple times but it wasn't until recently that I really started to enjoy it.

Recently I managed to snag a RoTV set that came with the lava expansion, and a complete Wave 1 for a fairly reasonable price on ebay. Since then I've looked for some units here and there, adding a couple squads.

So my question, if you were just getting into HeroScape today (with the market being what it is) what would you decide to buy? What is essential to make a nice reasonable fun collection? What is a reasonable price to pay for some of this stuff?

Would you try and get any particular master sets, or expansions, or just collect units? Some of the later waves, like 8, 11, 12, and 13 are still available from some of the game websites.

What's your best advice on getting started?

Thanks!
Lol, you're a little late, sir! But if I was you, I'd decide if I was a theme-er or a guy who mixes and matches. I personally almost ALWAYS play a theme. (Zombies, vampires, samurai, etc...) So after that, I'd go about collecting whatever figures caught my eye. Gonna take a while, but that's what collecting's all about.

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion