Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old August 26th, 2023, 07:48 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy266 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Yeah, that's how I envision it. I initially considered making the primary target also subject to the d20 roll because I wasn't opposed to it, but doing so would've required more text and now that I'm getting older I tend to avoid making cards with small print.
If the damage is “slash damage” from a hit then shouldn’t all adjacent figures take the damage, not just Soulborgs? I love the figure and like the design, but I’m not sure text size is enough to justify such an odd and borderline impossible damage mechanic lore wise.
Not if it's a weapon specifically designed to damage robots, like an EMP. Hurts the folks on batteries, but does nothing to the squishy ones.

-insert signature here-
Old August 26th, 2023, 08:50 AM

ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Yeah, that's how I envision it. I initially considered making the primary target also subject to the d20 roll because I wasn't opposed to it, but doing so would've required more text and now that I'm getting older I tend to avoid making cards with small print.
If the damage is “slash damage” from a hit then shouldn’t all adjacent figures take the damage, not just Soulborgs? I love the figure and like the design, but I’m not sure text size is enough to justify such an odd and borderline impossible damage mechanic lore wise.
Not if it's a weapon specifically designed to damage robots, like an EMP. Hurts the folks on batteries, but does nothing to the squishy ones.
Right, I understand the concept. If it’s an EMP then it would also hurt the Soulborg directly in the center of the pulse.
Old August 26th, 2023, 11:54 AM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

That doesn't bother me. It makes sense that a 'bigger payload' is hitting the center. So I don't feel like the center of the shot needs to get hit by the d20. I see the theme of the 4 dice being rolled as the impact and center of the event with the d20 being the splash.

I just don't like jandar borgs getting a free pass lol.
Old August 26th, 2023, 12:27 PM

ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
That doesn't bother me. It makes sense that a 'bigger payload' is hitting the center. So I don't feel like the center of the shot needs to get hit by the d20. I see the theme of the 4 dice being rolled as the impact and center of the event with the d20 being the splash.
Yes, the projectile is hitting the target, and presumably does physical damage to the target. Then some sort of EMP or shockwave would activate...and the field lines would originate from the projectile, and thus the initial target. As I mentioned before, the shockwave making a safe bubble around the machine it's literally emanating just doesn't make sense. Also, just from like an overall perspective of making this shockgun...why on Valhalla wouldn't you want it to affect the figure you hit?

"Check it out, I made this cool EMP gun."
"Awesome, there's one lone Soulborg wrecking us out there right now. Let's shut this thing down!"
"Oh, actually, bad news about that..."

I understand why the designer wants this from a balance perspective, but there are so many aspects that make this feel weird.

Quote:
I'm mostly with you on this. Omnicron Repulsors are immune to their own Circuitry Overload, which makes it seem that they have a Faraday cage or EMP shield built into their armor to protect them from this sort of thing. But there are other Jandar soulborgs that aren't immune to the EMP response; you can absolutely EMP response against an opponent's Omnicron Sniper. Why shouldn't Shockgun hurt opponents' Omnicron Snipers as well?

This is probably the last I'll say on this design. I feel like I'm being hyper critical and I'm not a huge fan of the tone this reads as, but I still think these points need to be brought up. I honestly like the idea of the shockgun, but the current (hah!) implementation doesn't do it for me.
Old August 26th, 2023, 12:36 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:

More or less how I see it as well. As far as Jandar bots go, I'm good with that too. I'd look at it as the weapon having a frequency, one that those on the 'right' side can tune out, disrupt, etc...

Quote:
This is probably the last I'll say on this design. I feel like I'm being hyper critical and I'm not a huge fan of the tone this reads as, but I still think these points need to be brought up. I honestly like the idea of the shockgun, but the current (hah!) implementation doesn't do it for me.
All good ryguy, it's fun to have some friendly debate. I think it's really not a big deal for me because a long time ago I got over that a bow and arrow could take down a robot, along with the multitude of other weapons that have no business being equivalent other than in HeroScape

-insert signature here-
Old August 26th, 2023, 06:45 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Thumbs up Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:
Quote:

More or less how I see it as well. As far as Jandar bots go, I'm good with that too. I'd look at it as the weapon having a frequency, one that those on the 'right' side can tune out, disrupt, etc...

Quote:
All good ryguy, it's fun to have some friendly debate. I think it's really not a big deal for me because a long time ago I got over that a bow and arrow could take down a robot, along with the multitude of other weapons that have no business being equivalent other than in HeroScape
Agreed.

Old August 29th, 2023, 07:19 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I think it's really not a big deal for me because a long time ago I got over that a bow and arrow could take down a robot, along with the multitude of other weapons that have no business being equivalent other than in HeroScape
In other words, as we used to say a lot on this site, "It's a game, not a simulation."

Quote:
I feel like I'm being hyper critical and I'm not a huge fan of the tone this reads as, but I still think these points need to be brought up.
Don't worry about it; no problem with your tone from my end. If anything, I appreciate the opportunity to elaborate on my choices, such as they are.
Old August 30th, 2023, 12:03 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Necro-Mage Elba by @NecroBlade has passed United Fanscape review and moves forward in the process.

Kafnirraa by @Shadowking did not pass United Fanscape review and is removed from the process. It was a close and contentious vote, but ultimately the current form of Honor of Clans was felt to be too "forced" and the same effect could be accomplished more cleanly (dok had a good idea there). Additionally, there was some concern about the use of the term "totem" for a figure that isn't carrying something that looks like an emblem.
Old August 30th, 2023, 12:14 PM

Shadowking rolls all skulls baby! Shadowking rolls all skulls baby! Shadowking rolls all skulls baby! Shadowking rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Necro-Mage Elba by @NecroBlade has passed United Fanscape review and moves forward in the process.

Kafnirraa by @Shadowking did not pass United Fanscape review and is removed from the process. It was a close and contentious vote, but ultimately the current form of Honor of Clans was felt to be too "forced" and the same effect could be accomplished more cleanly (dok had a good idea there). Additionally, there was some concern about the use of the term "totem" for a figure that isn't carrying something that looks like an emblem.
If something was brought up that could be applied to the power to make it more clean, then I am happy to hear it; would definitely be willing to look at doing a rework. As for the use of the word "totem", since it can fall into pretty broad definitions I was using it to reference the antler talismans on the back of her cloak, but I could exchange it for a different name as part of said rework (along the lines of something like Guardian Talismans, Antlers of the Guardian/Antlers of the Guardian Elk maybe), or just remove the more mystical connotations and go for something more mundane but still getting across the same sort of "wild clan" feel, perhaps something like Guardian's Bond or Oath of the Guardian.
Old August 30th, 2023, 12:21 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

@Shadowking , Please don't give up on Kafnirraa. It's really close. As someone who has submitted several things to the SoV, I have had more submissions fail to pass, than succeed. Ask dok for his take on Honor of Clans. Find a better name and theme for Guardian Totem. If you've had any other ideas since submission, use this opportunity to improve the design further.

---- ---- ---- ----

This reminds me @Scytale Under the "Units that have been inducted in the Soldiers of Valhalla" Swaysil is credited to me, but that design should be credited to Maklar the Silver Prince.
Old August 31st, 2023, 03:08 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

It was pointed out that the carried item might be the “totem,” but that is not consistent with the mechanic of her taking the damage. As I saw it. Not that I actually vote anymore.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 31st, 2023, 03:21 PM

Shadowking rolls all skulls baby! Shadowking rolls all skulls baby! Shadowking rolls all skulls baby! Shadowking rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
It was pointed out that the carried item might be the “totem,” but that is not consistent with the mechanic of her taking the damage. As I saw it. Not that I actually vote anymore.
I was kind of taking it on a "magic item" level (something like Drake's katana) rather than a "use of this physical object allows this person (or any person holding it) to do such a thing in a purely non-magical way". I know Scytale asked me about my thoughts behind her planet before, maybe I do just switch it to Faerún and then the somewhat vague/nebulous connections of it needing to be empowered by a non-Earth object in some way disappear.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs