Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old October 18th, 2012, 10:27 AM

Angear knows what's in an order marker Angear knows what's in an order marker
Now for a name...

Question for all you mapmakers out there. How do you guys come up with the names for your map creations? Do they just come to you? Any tips? It has always been something that I have struggled with to try to be original and not take the name of a map that is already out there.

My map thread is here new map 10/16/12
Old October 18th, 2012, 01:07 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Now for a name...

Well met!

It's all in the story.
Old October 18th, 2012, 01:11 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I tend to use song titles, but that doesn't mean the names fit.

As Kolakoski says, if you can find some kind of explanation for what the map IS then that helps a lot.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old October 18th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I just kinda wing it. Sometimes during playtesting I come up with one, and sometimes my map sits on Virtualscape while I'm staring at the blank "save as" bar trying to come up with something. Generally I name it after what the map looks like, but sometimes there's backstory. For instance, I named Hadrian after Hadrian's wall.
Old October 18th, 2012, 06:49 PM

Hive Lord 1233 knows what's in an order marker Hive Lord 1233 knows what's in an order marker

I don't have much experience, but I would think you would want to reference the actual map in a way that isn't blatantly obvious.

Old October 18th, 2012, 06:58 PM
If it doesn't use 20+ sets, you're not doing it right!

Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

For most of my builds, before I even place my first hex, I have an image in my mind of what the map should look like. The name usually comes to me about the same time.

I have made changes to names before finally showing off my maps. During the production stage, my Island Fortress was originally going to be called 'Fort Su** It'.

Last edited by Dr. Weirdscaper; October 19th, 2012 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Decided to add the pic.
Old October 18th, 2012, 07:52 PM

@DrWeirdscaper: Offtopic, that map is really cool. I have looked at some of your maps before but I never noticed that one.

I find it interesting to see how all of you come up with names for your maps. Good discussion!

Old October 18th, 2012, 08:49 PM
If it doesn't use 20+ sets, you're not doing it right!

Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angear View Post
@DrWeirdscaper: Offtopic, that map is really cool. I have looked at some of your maps before but I never noticed that one.
Thank You. People have been known to get lost for days in my map thread.
Here's a link to the map:

Dr. Weirdscaper's Island Fortress
Old October 18th, 2012, 09:01 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Dr.

Anyways, my map names are quite boring. Always, named after what they look like...a two year old can call a map, "The Heated Lagoon".

I think Typhoon2222 has some of the best map names out there, I mean...how do you get "Stygian Rift"?

EDIT: Okay, just looked it up and Stygian is:
  • Of or relating to the Styx River.
  • Very dark: "the Stygian crypt".
And Rift is:
  • A crack, split, or break in something.
But still. I would've named it something like Heated Dungeon, but then again, I wouldn't have had the brilliant mind to build the map in the first place.
Old October 18th, 2012, 09:08 PM

I tend to look words up also when naming maps. I dislike using the word road or lava over and over again

Old October 18th, 2012, 09:13 PM

Ashus rolls all skulls baby! Ashus rolls all skulls baby! Ashus rolls all skulls baby! Ashus rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
But still. I would've named it something like Heated Dungeon, but then again, I wouldn't have had the brilliant mind to build the map in the first place.
Heated Dungeon is still more original than anything I come up with. My last map was called "The one that looks like a gladiatorial arena".

Ashus is Empress Kiova...
in The Cave of Hope...
Old October 18th, 2012, 10:12 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I know that some people turn to other languages (Latin, etc.) for further inspiration.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios