Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Old August 4th, 2022, 09:52 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Re: Heroscape 2nd Edition is here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
I think price is the measure of accessibility in question.
Yes, if they truly could only do prepainted with a $400 master set, then sure - a $120 master set is more accessible in that sense. I just thought a middle ground would've been possible. Perhaps not.
Old August 4th, 2022, 09:53 AM
GenCon 2013 Main Event Champion

The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
What other questions do y'all have? I can ask them to Chris and/or CVN at my next opportunity (probably sometime today)
Hi Michael. Where at GenCon can we see this? Booth number?

Have fun and stay busy - Luke 19:13

The Orange Mailman
Old August 4th, 2022, 09:55 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange Mailman View Post
Quote:
What other questions do y'all have? I can ask them to Chris and/or CVN at my next opportunity (probably sometime today)
Not in the dealer hall. Hall D, where they used to do Heroscape events. Look for Avalon Hill

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old August 4th, 2022, 10:03 AM
GenCon 2013 Main Event Champion

The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange Mailman View Post
Quote:
Not in the dealer hall. Hall D, where they used to do Heroscape events. Look for Avalon Hill
Thank you!

Have fun and stay busy - Luke 19:13

The Orange Mailman
Old August 4th, 2022, 10:08 AM

SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
Figures will be unpainted because "deco" costs would put the starter set at $400+ Deco alone is more expensive than the figures.
This is disappointing and somewhat surprising. Obviously, Heroscape was able to be prepainted and affordable because of economies of scale and its status as a mass market/big box retail game and this new revival seems like it is aiming at the smaller/more expensive hobby gaming market, but I believed Hasbro would still be able to find a viable price point to keep the game prepainted. Apparently they could not. Too bad; Heroscape's identity always seemed to me to be the accessible skirmish miniatures system that the entire family could have fun with, from ages 8-88. This decision kind of deals a blow to that identity.

Oh well - I still look forward to seeing what terrain and obstacles this revival will release.
I agree completely with you. I paint for display and competition but I was still hoping this would be prepainted for accessibility and ease of use reasons. I would also argue that having the option of paying $400 for a painted set is a bargain if you subscribe to the idea that time is money. If the master set is $100 and the painted set is $400, and assuming you spend around 4 hours to paint a single model to completion, and assuming there are 10 models, that would take you 40 hours to complete. That comes out to you saying your time is worth $7.50 an hour since you didn't spend an extra $300 to save yourself the time. Not a problem if you enjoy painting but it's not as much savings as some people would think.

I'm not really complaining but if Hasbro or whoever is watching is curious about different opinions, please know there are those of us who would pay more to save time (which is in many ways a more precious commodity than money).
Old August 4th, 2022, 10:14 AM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

I don't think it takes 40 hours to paint the ten models in this master set. It's a fair point that it does take time to paint models, but it's also not essential for gameplay. I'm sure unpainted will be tournament legal given the history of Heroscape.

I'm a little sad about unpainted, but I think it's the only model that make sense for Heroscape in 2022. What I'm really curious to see is how much terrain we get, and what kind.
Old August 4th, 2022, 10:18 AM

SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
I don't think it takes 40 hours to paint the ten models in this master set. It's a fair point that it does take time to paint models, but it's also not essential for gameplay. I'm sure unpainted will be tournament legal given the history of Heroscape.

I'm a little sad about unpainted, but I think it's the only model that make sense for Heroscape in 2022. What I'm really curious to see is how much terrain we get, and what kind.
That's true, and some people have their speed painting process down and can turn entire legions around in a few hours. Admittedly, those legions have the same paint scheme and are not all unique. It will also be important for the community to decide if unpainted models are acceptable which in many communities it is not. Time will tell.

I too am excited about the terrain! If nothing else that alone is a huge win. Exciting times!
Old August 4th, 2022, 10:28 AM

Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
My files were too big to upload to the gallery. They can be viewed here.

If someone wants to blur out face and nametags, compress them, and upload them to gallery/this thread, that's fine with me.
These look AMAZING

Already working on documenting my theories. Thank you so much for sharing!

Come check out The Essalim Collate, a content platform centered around worldbuilding and narrative design in gaming!
Old August 4th, 2022, 10:38 AM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!

Question! So if the miniatures are not prepainted, will they at least have a wash? The figures shown in the teaser video seemed to have that. Is that an option being considered to help overall presentation of the game?

.:: .H3X.™ | aka, PushesPixels :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."
Old August 4th, 2022, 10:44 AM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
My files were too big to upload to the gallery. They can be viewed here.

If someone wants to blur out face and nametags, compress them, and upload them to gallery/this thread, that's fine with me.
These pics aren't blurry at all, what the heck?!

Thanks for sharing, and can't wait for more tidbits as they come. What an exciting time to be alive.
Old August 4th, 2022, 11:11 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

This all feels very steampunk cyberpunk fantasy rather than scifi historical and fantasy.

Heroscape is heroscape but these minis are not your dad's scape.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old August 4th, 2022, 11:13 AM

Talyn rolls all skulls baby! Talyn rolls all skulls baby! Talyn rolls all skulls baby! Talyn rolls all skulls baby!

Yeah I'll say im not a fan of the super detailed sculpts. Sure Heroscape had that, but they also had their own, somewhat cartoonish aesthetic. And Im not seeing that here. These look like DND minis.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion