Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old July 17th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Akden, I did for you the favor that somebody else did for me. I was just paying it forward. Bring it next time, we'll play.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old July 17th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Cool, looks like DS will get to play him some Guildhall after all

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old July 17th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

In October, but yes, that's better than not playing. Maybe when I see akden at GenCon, depending on our schedules.

= =
Old July 17th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Wish I was going to GenCon this year, but it's not going to happen.

Old July 17th, 2014, 05:21 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Received my copy of Oddball Aeronauts yesterday. My eldest & I had a quick run through & it seems like a good 2 player "light strategy" trick taking game .
Old July 17th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
Received my copy of Oddball Aeronauts yesterday. My eldest & I had a quick run through & it seems like a good 2 player "light strategy" trick taking game .
Glad you got it A3n.

Edit:
Just taught my daughters Eight-Minute Empire. First time I have played it as well and we liked it. It's an area control game where you buy cards for set collection of food/ore/lumber/gems/steel? (anvil) to get victory points. Some types of cards you have to collect more of to get the same amount of VP's as other cards, but there are more of those cards available to buy. The cards also allow you to perform an action, like place armies, move armies, build cities, destroy an army etc. You start out with 3 armies each in the start space on the map and then through the use of actions of the cards, you try to gain more armies, move them to control more regions and also continents. There are 6 cards across the top of the board that cost 0/1/1/2/2/3 coins and when one is chosen, the other cards move to the left to fill any empty space left by the taken card and another card is added to always have 6. You play until each player has a certain amount of cards in front of them, for 3 players for instance, after all players have 10 cards, the game is over.

You get 1 VP for each region you control, as well as 1 VP for each continent you control. Then you get VP's based on the sets of resources you collect. I won 15-14-11. Including explaining the game, it took 22 minutes. While it's called Eight-Minute Empire and can probably be played in 8 minutes by experienced players, it's really more likely going to fall into a 15 minute game for us. It plays up to 5 players.

Last edited by Hahma; July 17th, 2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
I wish I was going to GenCon this year, too. Sometimes dreams do come true!

= =
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
Awesomeness

Old July 17th, 2014, 10:35 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:

Edit:
Just taught my daughters Eight-Minute Empire. First time I have played it as well and we liked it. It's an area control game where you buy cards for set collection of food/ore/lumber/gems/steel? (anvil) to get victory points. Some types of cards you have to collect more of to get the same amount of VP's as other cards, but there are more of those cards available to buy. The cards also allow you to perform an action, like place armies, move armies, build cities, destroy an army etc. You start out with 3 armies each in the start space on the map and then through the use of actions of the cards, you try to gain more armies, move them to control more regions and also continents. There are 6 cards across the top of the board that cost 0/1/1/2/2/3 coins and when one is chosen, the other cards move to the left to fill any empty space left by the taken card and another card is added to always have 6. You play until each player has a certain amount of cards in front of them, for 3 players for instance, after all players have 10 cards, the game is over.

You get 1 VP for each region you control, as well as 1 VP for each continent you control. Then you get VP's based on the sets of resources you collect. I won 15-14-11. Including explaining the game, it took 22 minutes. While it's called Eight-Minute Empire and can probably be played in 8 minutes by experienced players, it's really more likely going to fall into a 15 minute game for us. It plays up to 5 players.
I have Eight-Minute Empire: Legends, which is a stand-alone sequel to the one you played. I think it's a clever little game, and I was impressed at the amount of depth found in such a quick game. I'd highly recommend it.

It was designed by the same guy that did Empires of the Void, City of Iron, and The Ancient World (which I totally should have Kickstarted!).
Old July 17th, 2014, 11:05 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by akden View Post
Quote:

Edit:

I have Eight-Minute Empire: Legends, which is a stand-alone sequel to the one you played. I think it's a clever little game, and I was impressed at the amount of depth found in such a quick game. I'd highly recommend it.

It was designed by the same guy that did Empires of the Void, City of Iron, and The Ancient World (which I totally should have Kickstarted!).
I wanted to get Eight-Minute Empire: Legends also, but it's been out of stock. One of the guys in my group asked us if we wanted in on a group purchase at CSI to get the free shipping. I had wanted EME:Legends also, as well as Istanbul, but they have both been selling like hotcakes and were out of stock, so I just got EME. I'll have to pick up EME:Legends when it becomes available again. From Joel Eddy's review, it looks like you can play both games using either boards from either game to give it more variety, though you couldn't mix and match the cards.

I just got City of Iron as one of my birthday games last month, but have yet to play it. I may do a solo 2player game this weekend to get a feel for it before attempting to teach it. I've read the rules, but there's nothing like the actual gameplay to get the best feel for teaching it.

I've heard that Empires of the Void was pretty good, and The Ancient World does look pretty cool, though I missed the KS.

That designer Ryan Laukat has some good stuff there.

Old July 18th, 2014, 09:59 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
For a second you had me, I thought, "Huh, wait, you're *not* going?" Then I got it.

--

Last night I got to play in my first live Pathfinder Society (PFS) game. My Halfling Ranger did well, knocking some punks and such on the head with his little sling. Our guide, whom I suspected to be a traitor, turned out to be
Spoiler Alert!

There were two kids at our table, which I have no issue with in principle, but one of them did not have the attention span required for a 4-5 hour module, and dropped after the first hour to play his DS... which distracted the other kid whenever we weren't in combat (and even some when we were). Neither of them understood not to interrupt the DM when he's talking unless it is important. So that was a little annoying. But they were nice kids other than that.

--

Those of you who like the PACG because it's all the mechanical stuff without any of that nasty Role-play stuff might like PFS. You don't have to deal with what your character does between quests, and you can easily get away with little-to-no RP. That's not to turn away players who like RP--I'm sure there are plenty of PFS players who do lots of RP when they play through a module. But to finish the module in time there usually isn't much time for RP that's not on-topic with the module, which means you can pretty much get away with straightforward quest-related actions and ignore the fluff stuff if you want.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Last edited by caps; July 18th, 2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old July 18th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

So does that play like a choose your own adventure book caps?
Is it intended to mainly be played through modules or are GMs encouraged to create their own campaigns?

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games