Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old March 7th, 2024, 06:23 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: HeroScape is coming back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_a_Bill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
artist's rendering makes her look so cool
Anybody know the lore explanation for why Raelin's wings changed from mechanical to organic?
https://heroscape.fandom.com/wiki/Ra..._Kyrie_Warrior

Cheers to those maintaining this fandom wiki!

Edit: Searching this wiki's web page for "mechanical" shows zero results. The newest version of Raelin might have different looking wings, but a quick look into the HS Compendium says nothing about Kyrie wings being "mechanical".

Last edited by GaryLASQ; March 7th, 2024 at 07:04 PM.
Old March 7th, 2024, 07:31 PM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLASQ View Post
the HS Compendium says nothing about Kyrie wings being "mechanical".
Come on, man. Do you really look at old Raelin's wings and think they're organic? But even if you do, the point here is that the new ones are radically different and there doesn't seem to be any attempt to address it. As if nobody noticed. Hey, maybe there should be a new DW9K with a human head that nobody mentions. Innovation!

C3V and SoV had to make sculpt compromises (for obvious reasons), but brand-new official Scape shouldn't have to do that.

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list

Last edited by Just_a_Bill; March 7th, 2024 at 07:54 PM.
Old March 10th, 2024, 02:25 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Come on, man. Do you really look at old Raelin's wings and think they're organic? But even if you do, the point here is that the new ones are radically different and there doesn't seem to be any attempt to address it. As if nobody noticed. Hey, maybe there should be a new DW9K with a human head that nobody mentions. Innovation!

C3V and SoV had to make sculpt compromises (for obvious reasons), but brand-new official Scape shouldn't have to do that.
I agree. The wings are a radical change.

And there's more going on here than just the wings. This might be a bit too on the nose, but...

Evil Raelin! Hear Her ROARR!

Regardless, I still think it's a great looking sculpt of Raelin riding her Big bat cat.

There appears to be ample room for a passenger behind her. It's tempting to house rule the Carry SP...

This sculpt creates an interesting hit zone paradox. Errata on the bat cat wings, or not?

I've not yet attempted miniature painting. On a difficulty scale of 1 to 10, where does this rank?

Old March 10th, 2024, 06:00 PM
SLAYER OF GRUNGEBOB

Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:

I've not yet attempted miniature painting. On a difficulty scale of 1 to 10, where does this rank?

That very much depends on your existing skill level with painting. What looks simple can be harder than it looks. I've been painting miniatures daily for many wargames & RPGs since 2016, so I could likely paint it to equal quality in a day or so depending on how detailed I wanted it to be. If it's your first miniature ever you may struggle with it. You could get away with a simple paint job with just a primer, basecoat, and wash if you wanted to. Or you could go deeper with layering, edge highlights, dry brushing, liners, glazes, ect. It really is up to you how difficult you make it.

EDIT: To illustrate the point, here's one of my more recent models.

And here is one of my first.

I found both to be of equal difficulty, but the growth in skill overtime made the difference in quality.

Heroscape is back! WOOOOO!
Old March 10th, 2024, 09:05 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac2200 View Post
Quote:

That very much depends on your existing skill level with painting. What looks simple can be harder than it looks. I've been painting miniatures daily for many wargames & RPGs since 2016, so I could likely paint it to equal quality in a day or so depending on how detailed I wanted it to be. If it's your first miniature ever you may struggle with it. You could get away with a simple paint job with just a primer, basecoat, and wash if you wanted to. Or you could go deeper with layering, edge highlights, dry brushing, liners, glazes, ect. It really is up to you how difficult you make it.

I found both to be of equal difficulty, but the growth in skill overtime made the difference in quality.
I'm no master, but the hardest part looks like the stripes. Really pick a wing color, fur color, and armor colors. Army painter speed paint is easy to use and has fairly good results. If not even Walmart paint with a hit from army painter quick shade "talent in a can" does wonders. I've even used minwax polyshades as a shader which matches classic fairly well albeit a bit shinny but tough as nails.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old March 10th, 2024, 11:23 PM
SLAYER OF GRUNGEBOB

Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac2200 View Post
Quote:
Spoiler Alert!

I'm no master, but the hardest part looks like the stripes. Really pick a wing color, fur color, and armor colors. Army painter speed paint is easy to use and has fairly good results. If not even Walmart paint with a hit from army painter quick shade "talent in a can" does wonders. I've even used minwax polyshades as a shader which matches classic fairly well albeit a bit shinny but tough as nails.
I think you're talking about the canned quickshade right? The stuff they sell in the can is oil based, which makes it shine. The ones sold in dropper bottles are water based and doesn't shine. If you are using the oil one, I reccomend using Testors Dullcoat spray. It'll take that shiny surface down to normal with 1-2 coats. You can also use Technical Stormshield by Citadel if you prefer to brush it on.

Heroscape is back! WOOOOO!

Last edited by Tmac2200; March 11th, 2024 at 12:00 AM.
Old March 10th, 2024, 06:12 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
This sculpt creates an interesting hit zone paradox. Errata on the bat cat wings, or not?

Yeah, that is either an error or a departure from previous Heroscape convention in which wings on Large/Huge units count as hit zones.
Old March 10th, 2024, 09:40 PM
Spin Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
This sculpt [for Raelin] creates an interesting hit zone paradox. Errata on the bat cat wings, or not?
Yeah, that is either an error or a departure from previous Heroscape convention in which wings on Large/Huge units count as hit zones.
With the exception of Theracus, only Kyrie wings are not hit zones. All other wings, regardless of size, are hit zones.
Old March 11th, 2024, 07:39 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
This sculpt [for Raelin] creates an interesting hit zone paradox. Errata on the bat cat wings, or not?
With the exception of Theracus, only Kyrie wings are not hit zones. All other wings, regardless of size, are hit zones.
Yeah, I've always inferred the game's hit zone philosophy to be "if the sculpt would otherwise be small enough to conceivably hide behind stuff if not for its protruding wings, the wings cannot be targeted, but if it's big it probably wouldn't ever matter so we'll treat the wings like the targetable body parts they are."
Old March 11th, 2024, 03:54 PM

1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree. The wings are a radical change.

And there's more going on here than just the wings. This might be a bit too on the nose, but...

Evil Raelin! Hear Her ROARR!

Regardless, I still think it's a great looking sculpt of Raelin riding her Big bat cat.

There appears to be ample room for a passenger behind her. It's tempting to house rule the Carry SP...

Speaking of the long established community of fan custom units and this site...and eventually a team of customizers that helped design some AoA units (and I believe D&D units). Here is my old Evil Raelin design from 2006 (but I am no means a top custom unit designer):
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...moreheroscaper

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Hymar's_Temple
1moreheroscaper's_Customs
War_of_the_Great_Wellspring

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News