Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:18 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Suburbia strikes me as a grandparent-friendly game as well, akden. I bet they'd have fun, though by the time they realize they are hopelessly far behind it will be too late for them to compete.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 23rd, 2014, 03:10 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Suburbia strikes me as a grandparent-friendly game as well, akden. I bet they'd have fun, though by the time they realize they are hopelessly far behind it will be too late for them to compete.
I dunno, there's lots of stuff to keep track of in Suburbia, especially as the game goes on. 90 minutes might be a bit long for grandparents, but who knows. It would be awesome if they did dig it.

I know my 90 year-old grandmother really loves Rummikub. In fact, my sister and I went over to visit her and my mother on Mother's Day and had 5 mean games of Rummikub.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old May 23rd, 2014, 03:11 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Eh, you're probably right. Blow the dust off Ticket to Ride. Everyone loves TtR!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 23rd, 2014, 03:45 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Eh, you're probably right. Blow the dust off Ticket to Ride. Everyone loves TtR!
+1 TtR.

Flea Circus! My daughter and I taught Grandma and Grampa Flea Circus last summer and we ended up playing it quite a bit. Carcasonne was another hit, although neither was competitive. The Magic Labyrinth was an easy one for them and they had fun crashing into the hidden walls. Tell them it is preventive memory sharpening. Or maybe just play the game and keep the wisecracks to yourself, if they are anything like my parents were.
Old May 24th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

I brought out Robinson Crusoe again after a couple months, and played the first scenario again. I went 1-2 against it before, so I figured I'd give it another go. I had the Adventurer character, with Friday and the dog.

Got most of my wood pile built for my distress signal (12 of 15 needed), but my Adventurer died due to some bad storms at the end of round 8. Friday had died earlier in the round while scavenging for some food. The big hit for wounds came from when I went hunting with my trusty dog, but ran into a Gorilla that kicked our asses. Had a weapon strength of 1 but a temporary weapon strength of +3 from my pistol, but the Gorilla's strength was 6 to give me 2 wounds due to being 2 more than my current strength (including temp +3) and then it reduced my weapon by 3 and since I couldn't include the temp +3, the normal weapon of 1 -3 gave me 2 more wounds for unfulfilled resources to give up. So that was a 4 wound hunt gone wrong. Also, I had been rushing to get the wood pile done, when I had more time and could have done other things to help stay alive. Oh well, next time.

I'll give it another go this weekend, but this time I'll get my shelter beefed up a little more before I dump so much wood on the pile for the signal fire. I had more time round-wise, but once the weather kicked in and after dealing with that Gorilla, I was taking wounds left and right. I even rested twice to get 2 health back, but it was short lived.

Old May 24th, 2014, 07:03 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

My boardgame group met yesterday with a couple more people than last time -- this time there was a total of 5 throughout the time but only a max of 4 at any one point in time.

Anyway played my first game of Dominion (+ Intrigue), & really enjoyed it. Sadly I don't think I will buy it anytime soon though as it's definitely not a game my boys would play (yet ).

We played a few quick games of Hey, that's my Fish. It's a good little game even when playing with adults. Playing with adults is a lot more strategic & sometimes ruthless.

Then we had a 3 player game of Tiny Epic Kingdoms. I am so glad I backed this game, it is really brilliant. Having said that it must have a level of understanding that is higher than the basic gamer, as we (myself & then other person that understood it early -- he said it had concepts Porta Rico) were explaining it to the other until the end of the game which coincidentally was over an hour but I am sure it would have been much shorter if we didn't have to spell out the options to the person each turn. But it was still lots of fun & that person actually won.
Old May 24th, 2014, 07:06 PM

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
I brought out Robinson Crusoe again after a couple months, and played the first scenario again. I went 1-2 against it before, so I figured I'd give it another go. I had the Adventurer character, with Friday and the dog.
I had the chance to buy that 2nd hand a while ago but didn't think my boys would get into it so passed. If I had realised it could be played single-player that might have swayed me to still buy it. :/
Old May 24th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
My boardgame group met yesterday with a couple more people than last time -- this time there was a total of 5 throughout the time but only a max of 4 at any one point in time.

Anyway played my first game of Dominion (+ Intrigue), & really enjoyed it. Sadly I don't think I will buy it anytime soon though as it's definitely not a game my boys would play (yet ).

We played a few quick games of Hey, that's my Fish. It's a good little game even when playing with adults. Playing with adults is a lot more strategic & sometimes ruthless.

Then we had a 3 player game of Tiny Epic Kingdoms. I am so glad I backed this game, it is really brilliant. Having said that it must have a level of understanding that is higher than the basic gamer, as we (myself & then other person that understood it early -- he said it had concepts Porta Rico) were explaining it to the other until the end of the game which coincidentally was over an hour but I am sure it would have been much shorter if we didn't have to spell out the options to the person each turn. But it was still lots of fun & that person actually won.
Glad to see your group is growing A3n. Cool!

I agree with "Hey, that's my fish!" It's fun with kids, but it's also fun with adults because like you said, it becomes more strategic and cutthroat.

You must have played the PnP version of Tiny Epic Kingdoms. I haven't bothered to print that out, I'll just wait for the regular copy to arrive. I backed it also and am glad you like it. Seems like it took a decent amount of time to play, but then again, it was a learning game like you said and having to explain everything to the one player that ended up winning. Maybe you explained it too well I think it's supposed to be like a half-hour once everyone knows the game.

Quote:
Quote:
I had the chance to buy that 2nd hand a while ago but didn't think my boys would get into it so passed. If I had realised it could be played single-player that might have swayed me to still buy it. :/
Yeah, it could be played solo for sure. I'm not sure about your boys liking it or not, as it has some fiddliness to it and some tough decisions. The fiddliness is like other highly thematic games that have a bit of extra stuff going on and having to check the rulebook a few times for subtle little rules stuff. The basic mechanics is easy, but a few little things that take a few plays to remember, but those little things add to the immersion. It's like, "do I dare hunt with little more than a knife?", "do I add to my roof to protect me from the weather, or build that moat to protect me from wild animals?", "do I explore to have more chances of fining more resources, or do I spend that action gathering more resources like food, because that food I got yesterday is spoiled and I need more." Great stuff!

Old May 24th, 2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
You must have played the PnP version of Tiny Epic Kingdoms. I haven't bothered to print that out, I'll just wait for the regular copy to arrive. I backed it also and am glad you like it. Seems like it took a decent amount of time to play, but then again, it was a learning game like you said and having to explain everything to the one player that ended up winning. Maybe you explained it too well I think it's supposed to be like a half-hour once everyone knows the game.
Yeah played with the final PnP version, I couldn't wait that long for it . As it is I probably won't get 'til a month after you . Prints out beautifully. I printed the faction cards on gloss & the maps on normal card & used a round corner punch on each. I used the meeples from Carcasonne & cubes from Pandemic & King of Tokyo (Pandemic black, blue, red & yellow for the action marker, research marker, ore counter, food counter; KoT green for the mana counter). I laid them all out at the meet & while I was explaining the game I mention that it was just the PnP version & they were like "no way" . They thought it was a manufactured version. I think that's a testament to how good the artwork is & how it looks printed out.

I would say a game with everybody understanding the rules & considering their options appropriately would probably be about 40 minutes. Great game all round .
Old May 24th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Heh, my grandmothers loved Carcassonne; as well as my younger cousins.
Old May 24th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah played with the final PnP version, I couldn't wait that long for it . As it is I probably won't get 'til a month after you . Prints out beautifully. I printed the faction cards on gloss & the maps on normal card & used a round corner punch on each. I used the meeples from Carcasonne & cubes from Pandemic & King of Tokyo (Pandemic black, blue, red & yellow for the action marker, research marker, ore counter, food counter; KoT green for the mana counter). I laid them all out at the meet & while I was explaining the game I mention that it was just the PnP version & they were like "no way" . They thought it was a manufactured version. I think that's a testament to how good the artwork is & how it looks printed out.

I would say a game with everybody understanding the rules & considering their options appropriately would probably be about 40 minutes. Great game all round .

Awesome! I look forward to playing this for sure.

Old May 24th, 2014, 09:28 PM

Mega boardgame.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games