Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old January 25th, 2014, 04:39 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Robber's maps: Updated Platypus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robber View Post
So after all of the gameplay on Platypus, does anyone have any overarching concerns or comments on the map?
The only thing I didn't like was those four level 1 ice spaces up top. They constrict movement between the edges of the map and the middle of the map, especially the two spaces that are wedged between jungle and glacier. I saw lots of interesting play where figures went around the central glacier, but relatively little action between units around the central glacier and units on the sides near the glyphs. I would like to see those four spaces (or at least two of them) get raised to level 2, but I recognize that you're probably pretty short on tiles in this build.

Aside from that, I very much liked the map. Definitely in the modern, "race for the center" style, and a very good execution of that style.
Old January 26th, 2014, 01:27 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
The only thing I didn't like was those four level 1 ice spaces up top. They constrict movement between the edges of the map and the middle of the map, especially the two spaces that are wedged between jungle and glacier. I saw lots of interesting play where figures went around the central glacier, but relatively little action between units around the central glacier and units on the sides near the glyphs. I would like to see those four spaces (or at least two of them) get raised to level 2, but I recognize that you're probably pretty short on tiles in this build.
If Robber feels like implementing dok's suggestions, there's a super-easy way to do it that involves minimal reshuffling. Requires moving only two tiles.

They're the two single-hex tiles -- one a grass, the other a snow -- sitting underneath the four-hex and three-hex glaciers respectively. They're not necessary for the structural stability of the glaciers above. Just move the grass tile one space over, and the snow two, so each sits directly under the ice tile.

Doing this is especially neat, because the grass tile, once moved, will totally block the view into the now-vacant space underneath the four-hex glacier.

Last edited by Typhon2222; January 26th, 2014 at 01:39 AM.
Old January 26th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm not sure I follow, Typhon. I think the 4-hex will be fine but won't the 3-hex be unstable if you remove the tile under it? I don't have the map built at the moment so I can't check, and I don't have a snow set to check for the 4-hex. I've been proxying in tiles for anything using a lava or snow set ^_^

I would almost rather switch the snow and ice tiles by the jungle tile and leave all the support underneath the glaciers.
Old January 27th, 2014, 02:12 AM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
I'm not sure I follow, Typhon. I think the 4-hex will be fine but won't the 3-hex be unstable if you remove the tile under it? I don't have the map built at the moment so I can't check, and I don't have a snow set to check for the 4-hex. I've been proxying in tiles for anything using a lava or snow set ^_^
Doubt not, ye of little faith. You're talking to a man obsessed with milking as much as he can from limited terrain. Take my word for it: a three-hex glacier (and a three-hex D&D stalagmite, for that matter) only needs support under two of its hexes to remain totally stable. The trick is that the empty space must be under the lowest (and thus lightest) of the glacier's three peaks, the one only 5 levels tall. In your case, you don't even need to rotate that glacier: it's already aligned as it needs to be.

For the record, four-hex glaciers need only two hexes of support as well, and that can come in two different configurations. You can either prop up the two hexes in the middle; or the two at the ends. Either configuration is perfectly stable.

Quote:
I would almost rather switch the snow and ice tiles by the jungle tile and leave all the support underneath the glaciers.
You know, if I were you, I'd be tempted to combine dok's/my suggestion with yours. I.e., take those two tiles sitting uselessly under the glaciers and move them over to elevate that ice patch by one level. AND take the single-hex snow by the jungle plant and put it to use elsewhere -- perhaps to add a bit of level-4 somewhere (only if you want to go that route -- I think it was suggested over in the other thread, although I can imagine adding a tile or two at level-4 might change the map dynamics dramatically), or anywhere else in the map.
Old January 27th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Quote:
Doubt not, ye of little faith. You're talking to a man obsessed with milking as much as he can from limited terrain. Take my word for it: a three-hex glacier (and a three-hex D&D stalagmite, for that matter) only needs support under two of its hexes to remain totally stable. The trick is that the empty space must be under the lowest (and thus lightest) of the glacier's three peaks, the one only 5 levels tall. In your case, you don't even need to rotate that glacier: it's already aligned as it needs to be.

For the record, four-hex glaciers need only two hexes of support as well, and that can come in two different configurations. You can either prop up the two hexes in the middle; or the two at the ends. Either configuration is perfectly stable.

Quote:
You know, if I were you, I'd be tempted to combine dok's/my suggestion with yours. I.e., take those two tiles sitting uselessly under the glaciers and move them over to elevate that ice patch by one level. AND take the single-hex snow by the jungle plant and put it to use elsewhere -- perhaps to add a bit of level-4 somewhere (only if you want to go that route -- I think it was suggested over in the other thread, although I can imagine adding a tile or two at level-4 might change the map dynamics dramatically), or anywhere else in the map.
Got it! Changes coming
Old December 11th, 2014, 12:24 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Online Board for Mobius. Enjoy!
Old December 11th, 2014, 12:25 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Oh, SF, I wish @Robber was around to read that good news. I know he's still interested, hopefully he'll return to us one day.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old December 11th, 2014, 12:28 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Oh, SF, I wish @Robber was around to read that good news. I know he's still interested, hopefully he'll return to us one day.
'Tis a shame. There's some quality maps here, and they deserve to be played on!
Old December 11th, 2014, 12:30 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Well, I went through a dry spell myself, for a time. He's around; he's just in college & pressed for time.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 12th, 2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Got it! Changes coming
@Robber , did you ever update Platypus?
Old February 12th, 2015, 11:04 PM
This is merely a joke.

@Typhon2222 why did you do that to me? Here I am thinking there's a real update...

I really enjoyed playing on Platypus in Online Season 17, just fyi.
Old February 12th, 2015, 11:10 PM
Promising Cartographer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Got it! Changes coming
@Robber , did you ever update Platypus?
No D: I've been really inactive with heroscape, and I don't have enough space in my dorm for my tiles/pieces

I can update the map on virtualscape and post it here but it won't have any playtesting

Last edited by Robber; March 3rd, 2015 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Fixed my spelling for the grammar nazis :p

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios