Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old August 26th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
Hurricane Irene

Are you in her path? Prepared?

Here in southern VT it's expected to be bad but not as bad as elsewhere. We'll get the worst we're going to see probably through the day on Sunday. We get pretty regular power outages usually lasting up to a day during winters so we're broadly prepared for that. This could give us a longer one though (and our first with a baby). I'm about to make sure that every possible container is full of drinking water.

Good luck everyone, get yourself prepared if necessary, and let us know that you get through safely when you can.
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:58 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Hurricane Irene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Are you in her path? Prepared?

Here in southern VT it's expected to be bad but not as bad as elsewhere. We'll get the worst we're going to see probably through the day on Sunday. We get pretty regular power outages usually lasting up to a day during winters so we're broadly prepared for that. This could give us a longer one though (and our first with a baby). I'm about to make sure that every possible container is full of drinking water.

Good luck everyone, get yourself prepared if necessary, and let us know that you get through safely when you can.
I would recommend a water filter, too, if you have a chance to get one, just in case. You guys probably have more than enough food, and if you avoid opening your fridge/freezer as much as possible, everything will probably stay cold for while. For myself, I'll just have to be content with the record drought down here.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old August 26th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

You guys stay safe up there. Good luck.
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:09 PM

BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker

I'm in the "high" category for danger threat (there's low, medium, high, extreme, and catastrophic) but I'm hoping Hurricane Irene doesn't go back out to sea and then surge back before it hits Maryland. If it does, we're in trouble. If not, I'm hoping that not too much damage will be done. The Outer Banks, Ocean City and Atlantic City are being evacuated though, and many people from the Eastern shore are high-tailing it out of there.
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

My mom's all paranoid- even to the point of wanting me to leave a tournament tomorrow a good 2 hours before the hurricaine is set to be in Maryland.

I can tell you- if I'm doing semi-decent, I'm staying for the whole thing. :Stubborn:
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:19 PM

bumper15 is surprisingly tart

We should be getting it Sunday. We're expecting to be hit hard, although panic levels are lower than I would have thought.

Looking back, I find it odd that the last hurricane to reach Pennsylvania also began with an "I" (Isabel in '03). Hopefully it won't be as bad as Agnes had been, although that was before my time
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:32 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robber View Post
My mom's all paranoid- even to the point of wanting me to leave a tournament tomorrow a good 2 hours before the hurricaine is set to be in Maryland.

I can tell you- if I'm doing semi-decent, I'm staying for the whole thing. :Stubborn:
Better safe than sorry.

Today, I saw a car with a Massachusetts license plate. I commented by saying "Wow, they really went all-out on evacuation!"

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

Well......

Long Island here...... along with several others on this board.

I think the eye is centered right over my house. Probably should not have painted that bulls eye on the roof last summer.

Wish us luck!
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Good luck!

Old August 26th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post
Well......

I think the eye is centered right over my house. Probably should not have painted that bulls eye on the roof last summer.

Wish us luck!
I'm with ya. Living on a barrier island I tightened up the house, kissed some of my possessions and then picked up the kids and fled for the folks in the Catskills. I left 30 minutes before the county announced a mandatory evacuation of my town (and everywhere around it).

We're still in the cone but at least I'm in the hills and not surrounded by water. For the first time in my life, I fear for the condition of my house by the time I can return.

Let's hope the models are wrong because otherwise I may get a new indoor pool delivered by Sunday.
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:58 PM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!

I've got gas in the generator, cold beer in the fridge, and plenty of candlelight for some Disaster-'Scaping.

As long as a tree doesn't fall on my house we'll be fine.

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old August 27th, 2011, 12:22 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Helm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post
Well......

Wish us luck!
I'm with ya. Living on a barrier island I tightened up the house, kissed some of my possessions and then picked up the kids and fled for the folks in the Catskills. I left 30 minutes before the county announced a mandatory evacuation of my town (and everywhere around it).

We're still in the cone but at least I'm in the hills and not surrounded by water. For the first time in my life, I fear for the condition of my house by the time I can return.

Let's hope the models are wrong because otherwise I may get a new indoor pool delivered by Sunday.
I'm in the same boat. I live on City Island, all of which is in the Yellow Zone (possible inundation by storm surge with Category 2 storm). If the storm doesn't go down in intensity, it could be bad. In fact, the drive through southern Westchester and the Pelham Park to get to my little corner of the Bronx will likely be fraught with many pitfalls, such as fallen trees and power lines.

But my cat and I (and Kathy) are up in Monticello, where we should get only rain and maybe some high winds.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General